Sharps!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovekandi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I have a question about sharps boxes.

I have only had 3 sharps boxes since being Dx'd 3yrs ago, (yes i am a bad bad diabetic, i reuse my needles and finger pricker needles more times then i should. opps 😛

Anyway I have trouble giving my full box back, I tried to give it to the chemist and he says the docs take it and then I try to give it to the docs and he says the chemist takes it, neither will take them, i have to resort to the I'M NOT HAPPY FACE, just so one of them will give in and take it, but only for them to turn round and say, WE DON'T NORMALLY DO THIS, WE WILL DO IT ONLY ONCE. WHO the bloomin hell should take it. GRRR.

I managed to get the chemist to take the first one and then the docs to take the second, now the 3rd box is getting full and now i have to go through the same routine of walking to and from the docs and chemist pleading with them to take it. Its gets boring!

I don't want to be on the next episode of Filth Files, having the council coming round and seeing stacks and stacks of sharps boxes around my flat like some crazy hoarder! 🙄

who takes yours?

Cheers

Kt x

Hi Kt,

you could try your local authority, I know that some councils take them.

I've only recently started on injections so have only had my sharps box for 2 weeks and when i asked at my local lloyds the pharmacist said he will happily take it off my hands and give me a new one

might sound stupid but do you know anyone who works in a hospital or the like? my mum is a nurse so she takes mine into work with her when mine are full!

What's the name of your PCT (Primary Care Trust)? They should have a policy document on the web somewhere stating what the procedure for sharps disposal is. My council collect mine.

Same here, the council will come and collect it/them (I usually wait until I have 3 min.) I just have to ring them and they'll come round the following week.

OH MY GOD what a drama this is!!!!😡

OK so i called what i thought was my local PCT, and they told me they don't do it, and they also told me the doctors i go to IS my local PCT haha.

The Lady on the phone then said to call the council, which i did, they then told me to call clinical waste, which i did, they said they can do it, but it costs 30quid a visit!!! (NO THANKS!) 😱

so basically thats more a commercial thing and that my local health authority should pay for it, so i called the PCT again and they gave me the number for the NHS HQ, so i called. She told me the doctors would take it. GOOD GRIEF!!:confused:

I told her what i just wrote here and she said... OH took my details and said she would call me back.......

The story continues......

stay tuned for 3rd installment of....

"WHAT THE HELL DO U DO WITH YOUR SHARPS BOX!!!!" :D

OH MY GOD what a drama this is!!!!😡

OK so i called what i thought was my local PCT, and they told me they don't do it, and they also told me the doctors i go to IS my local PCT haha.

The Lady on the phone then said to call the council, which i did, they then told me to call clinical waste, which i did, they said they can do it, but it costs 30quid a visit!!! (NO THANKS!) 😱

so basically thats more a commercial thing and that my local health authority should pay for it, so i called the PCT again and they gave me the number for the NHS HQ, so i called. She told me the doctors would take it. GOOD GRIEF!!:confused:

I told her what i just wrote here and she said... OH took my details and said she would call me back.......

The story continues......

stay tuned for 3rd installment of....

"WHAT THE HELL DO U DO WITH YOUR SHARPS BOX!!!!" :D

?30 quid a visit thats propesterous, id build a bonfire in my back garden and get shot that way , least its cheap and easy lol.

OH said easy way to get rid would be ring the police tell them theres a box of hyperdermic needles sitting on my front door , they come around and you pass them it they will then say what are you doing, you say look my council want me to 30 quid for this if i rang you and said dirty drug needles are on my front door you would be the ones collecting so why not in this instance

Last edited:
?30 quid a visit thats propesterous, id build a bonfire in my back garden and get shot that way , least its cheap and easy lol.

OH said easy way to get rid would be ring the police tell them theres a box of hyperdermic needles sitting on my front door , they come around and you pass them it they will then say what are you doing, you say look my council want me to 30 quid for this if i rang you and said dirty drug needles are on my front door you would be the ones collecting so why not in this instance

Hmmm...I don't think we can condone that sort of behaviour! But it strikes me that, whatever the doctor's protestations, they are responsible for collection in this case. You can't be the only injecting diabetic in the area surely, so what do other people in your area do?

My surgery supplied me with a 3 litre sharps box which will probably last me till I go on insulin. When it's full, they'll take it back and dispose of it. They also told me I can leave it with the chemist next door if I wish and they'll deal with it. No charge from either of them.

Who was it gave you the thing, or did you buy your own?

My surgery has a nurse who has to dispose of used needles as part of her job.

The surgery collect patients sharps bins. No questions asked.

just opened my emails and guess what had a message from diabetes.co.uk i get there monthly newsletter and its all about sharps this week .dont know if anyone else gets it like.

looks like its a headache for many .

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13915

cant believe on there some one said they dispose of there needles by taping them in a ceral box and putting them in the genaral waste.

Last edited:
Who was it gave you the thing said:
I'm in Holloway and it was the chemist that gave me the thing. lol i mean its not like i'm in the arse-end of nowhere, the docs and the chemist are right next to each other and my house. haha

OK OK listen up!!

SOOO i get my call back from the NHS HQ, Helen (NHS lady) called my doctor and told them they have to take it as its been instructed the PCT. haha.

So i get another call from my doctor, (well the nurse there) i get on quite well with her and she said to me, yes Kate u have to bring it to me, i told her what the receptionist told me about it not being their responsibility and that it was the chemists, and she said, Well i will tell her she is wrong, we use to not take them but now we have to.

HOOORAY!!!! CASE SOLVED!

I mean this could have been alot easier IF they just took the bloody thing from me in the fist place!! Certainly would have been cheaper in phone calls!

thanks everyone for the input xxxx

😛

?30!!!!!! Ridiculous

Our boxes get collected for free.
But I'm annoyed that my doctors will only give me 1ltr boxes. They fill up within 1 1/2 weeks. Just imagine if there were more than one diabetic in a family!!!

Hurrah! :D Another receptionist tale too. Don't know if you've read my poem 'The Rude Receptionists', but it was precisely on this topic:

http://diabetespoetry.blogspot.com/2009/04/rude-receptionists.html

hahaha thats soo funny!!! bloody true to, why are all receptionist mean!!!

My mum was a hospital receptionist for 25yrs and she did tell me that some of the patients are horrible to her but she was always nice and helpful. I mean in all the places to have horrible staff, doctors and hospitals with sick people that are probably feeling really sad or sorry for themselves, having obstinate receptionists just seems like they are having a joke.

I do have to say tho, my Hospital, The Whittington, the diabetics team there are sooo lovely, but reception is still mean!!! haha :D

When I shared a house with my best friend she would get me a sharps bin from work and then take it back to the hospital when it was full, but haven't been able to do that since she went to work in a private hospital.. I do have a needle clipper but haven't used it for ages.. I am bad I just put them out in the general rubbish, they have their little white cap on and the see through plastic cap on them.. my council charge ?10 to have a sharps bin picked up.

I asked my GP about this when I was diagnosed recently, as the one I was given is getting towards full, and he said that either the local chemist or the GP surgery would dispose of them for me. Am rather scandalised that it seems to be a postcode lottery to use a popular phrase...

I have about 12 boxes in one of my kitchen cupboards just collecting dust!

None of our local pharmacies are licensed to take sharps bins, and I think our council charge to pick them up :(

I've been diabetic for 26 years and have NEVER had or even been offered a sharps bin. My mum was told to just put stuff in the normal bin. And when I asked (when I moved to adult care team) I was told the same thing - in a different area/PCT too.

So I'm in the Sutton & Merton PCT (I think!), does anyone know what their policy re sharps bins is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back