Sharps

Status
Not open for further replies.

karinagal

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Can anyone advise me - how do you go about getting a sharps bin and how do you dispose of it when it's full? I meant to ask at the doctors reception when I was in last week but it went right out of my head..

Karina 😱

my dsn provided me with one as for emptying it dont no as its still only half full x

I've got a needle clipper gadget thingy.........technical eh? Just chops the needle off and when it's full it goes in the bin. Then I get another on Prescription.

I've got a needle clipper gadget thingy.........technical eh? Just chops the needle off and when it's full it goes in the bin. Then I get another on Prescription.

I've read about those! Unfortunately it's lancets I'm disposing of and apparently the clipper doesn't work on those.. :(

Hi, I get mine on prescription and just drop it back in to the practice nurse to dispose of when full. My docs are so good on every level of my diabetes but I know some are not so lucky. Might be worth checking about disposal when you pick it up.

Sue

There are different ways of disposing in different areas. Try your doctors and the local chemists first. If they don't then try your local council. Local councils I think have a special collection, but you need to find out and it's more difficult in some areas than others.

It varies dependant on where you are I think.

My old place it was the council, just ring up when full they would collect the full and deliver an empty. Some places you return them to the pharmacy and get a new one on prescription, some the same at hospitals. I guess you need to ask people in your area can you ring the doctors to find out? They may not know, my new one didn't so I'll need to be doing the same as you!

Cheers

Rossi

As Victor would say " I don't believe it!"

Just called the doctors office - been told that they do not supply them, the recommendation is use an old bleach bottle as it has a child safe click lid!! 😱😱

Karina 🙄

Just called the doctors office - been told that they do not supply them, the recommendation is use an old bleach bottle as it has a child safe click lid!! 😱😱

Karina 🙄

When I first got my puncture kit I was told to use an emty fabric conditioner bottle. Hubby asked at doctors for me and I have a proper sharps bin which they will take back.

When I first got my puncture kit I was told to use an emty fabric conditioner bottle. Hubby asked at doctors for me and I have a proper sharps bin which they will take back.

"Puncture kit" I LOVE that description!! You did indeed make me laugh out loud!!

"Puncture kit" I LOVE that description!! You did indeed make me laugh out loud!!

When I first talked about a puncture kit my colleague who is a cyclist thought I had a bike stashed away some place until I explained...

whattt??? get your DSN to request it on prescription for you!

edit or as others have said, try your council/pharmacy

Here's the thing - neither my doctor nor my practice nurse made any mention to me about a DSN or clinic. The first I knew of their existence was from this forum. On your advice I called the doctors back and have been given the clinic number and have left a message for them to contact me. Still not got any idea if they have referred me though, I'll ask when they ring me back.

Thanks guys'n'gals!

Get my sharps bin on prescription from the pharmacy, but have to take the full one back to GP pharmacy. by the way, if you go to Centerparks, you can pick a shaprs bin up from the medical centre and return it to them when you leave...

Get my sharps bin on prescription from the pharmacy, but have to take the full one back to GP pharmacy. by the way, if you go to Centerparks, you can pick a shaprs bin up from the medical centre and return it to them when you leave...

Mmm interesting.... a bit far to travel though! I've ordered a sharps bin from Boots and am waiting for them to ring me when it comes in. I'm also considering another option which is to save them up in a safe container for the moment and then take them with me next time I'm seeing the practice nurse and empty them into her sharps bin!!!!! 😉

Mmm interesting.... a bit far to travel though! I've ordered a sharps bin from Boots and am waiting for them to ring me when it comes in. I'm also considering another option which is to save them up in a safe container for the moment and then take them with me next time I'm seeing the practice nurse and empty them into her sharps bin!!!!! 😉

My surgery gave me one out of their own stores. I have an old water bottle I use when travelling.

ive not even thought of having one and i ve never had one suggested to me , i just keep mine in an old lancet pot wen that gets full i throw it away

Ha ha! Seriously tho' you should be getting them on prescription.

ive not even thought of having one and i ve never had one suggested to me , i just keep mine in an old lancet pot wen that gets full i throw it away

Ah Steff, I'd fill about three or four lancet pots a day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back