Sharps bins

Status
Not open for further replies.
lancets
pen needles
syringes

thats all I can think of really

I don't put test strips in there, or any of the plastic caps etc.

When I've had my injection I put the plastic cap back on the pen needle to unscrew it, so I don't accidentally prick my (already ravaged!) fingers - the needle and plastic cap then go in the sharps bin. I also put lancets in there, but everything else goes in normal rubbish. Not sure if that's right, but that's what I do! Almost filled my first bin...

I'm just about to discover how good my service is, as my first ever bin is almost full and ready for collection! I'm expecting no problems as the council (Southampton) are pretty good regarding waste collection generally - will report back!

A quick phone call to the council last week and they collected my bin this morning. I just left it on the step last night and it had gone this morning, with a replacement (so I knew it hadn't been nicked!). They did offer to knock on the door if I didn't want to leave it outside, but wasn't sure how early that might be.

So, a very good service indeed!🙂

I have a big yellow thing which I got from my doctor. Well he didn't aactually give it to me the recptionist did and explained everything my doctor should have. It then goes back to the doctor.

I asked about collection of sharps and test strips at work as there are lots of diabetics there and was told put the sharps in an empty jar or container and when it is full arrange for a special collection.

glass cartridges go to recycling

Surely empty glass insulin cartridges should be recycled like any other glass? Personally, I peel off the plastic labels before placing the cartridges in to clear or mixed glass recycling bins.

I only use about 3 needles & 2 lancets per week, so I chop the needles off and replace the caps on lancets, then keep all sharp items in a bottle with a child proof cap eg medicines, toilet cleaner etc, then dispose of in non-recyclable rubbish bin.

I put blood testing strips back inside their packets, then dispose of in general waste - it's only a bit of blood, far less than on a tampon or sanitary towel or even a plaster, so that seems appropriate. If a sanitary bin is available eg at work, then I leave strips there.
I'd like to encourage using fewer items on grounds of cost to both environment and NHS.

Surely empty glass insulin cartridges should be recycled like any other glass? Personally, I peel off the plastic labels before placing the cartridges in to clear or mixed glass recycling bins.

I only use about 3 needles & 2 lancets per week, so I chop the needles off and replace the caps on lancets, then keep all sharp items in a bottle with a child proof cap eg medicines, toilet cleaner etc, then dispose of in non-recyclable rubbish bin.

I put blood testing strips back inside their packets, then dispose of in general waste - it's only a bit of blood, far less than on a tampon or sanitary towel or even a plaster, so that seems appropriate. If a sanitary bin is available eg at work, then I leave strips there.
I'd like to encourage using fewer items on grounds of cost to both environment and NHS.

Ew lack of hygeine much!! It's not about the enviroment and cost it's about hygeine and proper waste disposal, and stopping druggies and scallies going through your rubbish, surely the cost out weighs idiot kids going in your rubbish (even my 12 yr old can open a CHILD PROOF cap) to use these and believe me i have heard some awful stories

I put blood testing strips back inside their packets, then dispose of in general waste - it's only a bit of blood, far less than on a tampon or sanitary towel or even a plaster, so that seems appropriate.

I do the same with test strips. But the sharps bins are free so i don't understand why you wouldn't use one.

3 needles a WEEK? Goodness me! They lose their coating after first use, get blunt, leak insulin, let in bacteria, weaken and might break - IMHO it's simply not worth it. Unless I've got you wrong and you only inject 3 times a week!

resources

I inject 4 to 6 times per day, using 3 different pens, 2 shortacting, 1 long acting. I have never had any problems with reusing needles in over 12 years. I also have 2 blood glucose meters and use approx 1 needle per meter per week. I do use more in hotter / more humid conditions. However, I choose not to waste environmental and NHS resources - waste meaning using what I don't need. Just because you don't pay for something doesn't mean it is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back