Sharps bin

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 8 weeks of blood testing we have finally got a sharps bin, I have been told to take it to the local council offices when it is full and they will dispose of it.
We will find out when the time comes if this is right or not.🙄

I'm going to add a spanner too...

I only realised there is this matter of a sharps bin when i went on the DS meet in Brighton and the lovely Shiv was talking to me about it 😱

In my defence i have never been told about this since i have been put on the new pens with screw on needles (don't ask how many years ago this is now)!

In the good ol days (lol) I used to put those old 6" needles into a milk carton as they had no caps to put on them once used. My mum would then deal with this side of things.

I have always assumed that because the needles now have those plastic caps on for safety that its not an issue.

In all these years it has never been an issue and i am not one to create a problem that doesn't, for me, exist. As someone else mentioned, bin men certainly don't rummage in our bins and due to good old health and safety, the lorries pick them up and empty them.

Sounds like a hassle in anycase and if it was a simple process i may look into it. Until then.....

Bernie 🙂

Well my saga will come to a head on Wednesday i have been told to turn up with my sharps bin at my surgery, as the pharmacist in another chemist told me theres a company come in and collect all the sharps as im not the only diabetic in the village lol, adding to the mix my dad has invited himself along so if they say no i expect my dad will kick up a fuss lol.My other oprion of course would be to just leave it on the desk and walk out.

I am new to it, just filled the 1st sharp bin, I texted the nurse 'what am I supposed to do with it' and she replied ' send it back to GP when you collect the new one' Im going to do this tomorrow and hope its works

Our GP surgery is excellent - The GP prescribes the sharps bin, which means I get it free on prescription from the pharmacy, and then when it is full, I take it to the doctors surgery and the receptionist takes it off my hands. They do look at it as though it might be an unxploded bomb that could possibly go off at any moment, but have had no problems so far (mind you, only DX in April....)

richardq... you are right! blooming heck they made us feel like a druggiesthis morning, the receptionist asked us to make sure the lid is shut properly (which I cant do anymore than I have done) and then she said Im not touching it, the secruity guard is coming! (there is a queue behind us, how embarassing) :-S

I was told when mine is full to take it to my dr's surgery & they will take it no bother 🙂

I remember when I got my first sharps bin from the surgery....The receptionist gave it to me as if it were very very dirty....Although she knew that it was new and nothing's in!😱

Just to add my four-pennorth - I get mine on (free) repeat prescription from my surgery and have been told to hand it back in, when full, at the surgery's own dispensary,putting in a request for a new sharps bin on my repeat prescription form.

It seems as if some surgeries are helpful and some are not - so what's new there I hear you asking !

We're all under strict orders not to take bags and stuff from patients because they might have needles in them. I don't think we get paid for disposing of clinical waste, more like we have to pay for it (and we can only fill our bins up halfway coz the poor porters can't lift them, dispite the fact that we can!). our local council do a collection service, which i think works, i have't tried it myself but i gave the numbers to the lady who runs our reception and she gives them out and has had no complaints!
At the risk of making anybody feel anymore like a druggie, the solution is to find out where your local needle exchange is coz they're bound to take your bins off you, but i'd have to be quite brave to try it, personally.
It's not just diabetics, there's a whole load more people taking injectable anti-coagulants and anti-hepatitis treatment too, you'd think there'd be a better system.

Rachel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back