Sharps bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

caroleann

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well so far not had a problem with getting my bin on prescription and the doc has wrote to the local council ,i got a ltter from council today saying that they will be collecting it and they do weekly collections but they want me to leave it out side my front door in a clinical waste bag that they are going to supply but im a bit concerned about this as my front garden has no fencing or gate and there are a lot of young kiddies that play out the front and im obviously concerned about their safety so im going to ring them tomorrow and let them know im not happy with the way they want it done so they will have to find another way.

I understand how you feel - I wouldn't want to leave a sharps box out like that. But saying that, once you seal them, they can't come open so the kids shouldn't be at risk from the stuff inside.

Let us know what they say, I'm curious how flexible they will be!

my council knock on the door if you request it. I mean, I'm not brilliantly happy about leaving mine outside in this area :/

I live on a main road, and although I have a little front garden with a wall and a gate no one seems to shut the gate after going through it so I wouldn't be happy either.

Do let us know how you get on, some councils are more flexible than others.

Funny you should mention this topic Carole as i was going to start another thread on sharps bin today, i have done before but now another problem has arisen my bin is a 1 litre bin that i have had since April it is now near the dont fill above this line mark and when i asked my doc and my pharmacy who would take it they both said oh not us so im thinking i will have to approach the council myself ???.

Sorry if i've stolen your thread.

Probably best to ask the council yourself Steffie. Even if you get the run around sometimes it is better to ask them yourself as it is easier to argue your own corner if you need to!

Probably best to ask the council yourself Steffie. Even if you get the run around sometimes it is better to ask them yourself as it is easier to argue your own corner if you need to!

Thanks Caroline i guess im best going to the council office instead of catching one of them ont he street.

it must be one of those postcode lottery things again i hand mine into the docs there dispose of it and give me a fresh one there also give me one for my work as well :D

Our council will come and collect them too. I have to ring them to arrange a collection. They also request I leave it in the front garden. Luckily, we have a big bayleaf bush right next to the gate. I tell them that I hide the bins (I usually collect about 3 before I ring them) under that. Nobody can see them unless they enter the garden.

It was our DSN who actually gave me the council phone number to ring and register, as she knew how this works in our area.

Well it seems my council are not flexable at all,they say as long as its in the yellow sack its safe.

Well it seems my council are not flexable at all,they say as long as its in the yellow sack its safe.

Yellow sack?? I never got one of those. I usually put them in a supermarket bag.

Iv'e emailed my local council and we shall see what they have to say back

Both my surgery and the pharmacy next door will take the bin off my hands when the time comes. Mind you, I have a flaming great 4.5 litre job that will take years to fill, things may change by the time I get that far. One of the neighbours up the street has hers collected by the council every month, she leaves it in the back shed and they take it from there.

well ive found 2 answers to this probem after hording mine for years ,

1) take them to the dr's surgary , they do take them and are paid to do so! and even if some are not they will have there own clinical waste to get rid of and so do have collections , drop at the dr's receptions and run 😛

2) take them to diabeties clinic with you and explain the problem and they will usually pitty you and take them

i have done both and although not ideal it does get rid of them:D

I used to have no problem and could take them to the GP Practice or Chemist. Then about three years ago some jobsworth at the council decided that they could do so no longer. If they had a drop off point at the local recycling centre (told off for calling it a rubbish tip) it would be fine but they want you to leave it on the doorstep. I will not do this as it is too close to the road and it is very visible. Once I waited in for them but it is a waste of half a day's leave. I have heard of youngsters forcing a sharps box open. Sadly they tend to have IQs in line with their shoe size!

i stick mine in with the normal rubbish.

i feel this post will lead to a lecture 😛

The fact you know you're going to get a lecture means you know what your doing is wrong,i'd hate to be on the receiving end of a very peeved off binman with a needle in his hand.

i put the cover from the new one on the old one. plus all the binmen do is hook the bin onto the back of the truck.

i put the cover from the new one on the old one. plus all the binmen do is hook the bin onto the back of the truck.

You're lucky. Our bin men are stropy so and so's and if they think stuff is in the wrong bin or shouldn't bet there atall, they wont empty it!

Well ive heard back from my council and they said i have to be referred by either my dsn or gp :confused::confused: and then they will provide the free collection service for me, it seems such a cofuffle im perplexed, the pharmacy dont mind doling them out but when it comes to collecting them they dont want to know or my surgery grrrrr 😡
I've got less then a weeks worth of bin left before i hit the dont fill beyond this level mark.

Been looking on ebay and amazon and found bins for less then ?2 but i dont want to go down that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back