Sharps bin disposal

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been other threads on Sharps Bins. I've never had or been advised to have one in 30years of been Type 1 diabetic. When I had syringes I had a needle cutter that held the needle. Since I have had a pen (20+ years) and use the new cap to recap the old needle part and throw in general bin.

Since I have had a pen (20+ years) and use the new cap to recap the old needle part and throw in general bin.

Are you clipping those first @Steve_H ?

Because I would be surprised if your Dr (or council refuse dept) was happy with that approach if you asked them. Maybe check when you next have an appointment?

I save mine up, as my doctors surgery has gone into hiding since March last year, and when on the odd occasion they ask for me to attend for a flu jab I bring with me two or three. Looking forward to seeing them again as I have two full ones.
No leave them till you get a proper collection!

I always wonder what happens to the data you have to give them. As well as handing in the actual sharps box itself (to the pharmacy) I have to attach my name, date of birth, address and date box was closed.
Well @Lucyr you have to make a stand, or to save the aggro just give them what the ask for but not with your real data which is not needed anyway they have no time to read it its just a beaurocratic smoke and mirrors exercise. see my post #38 above

Anyone else really struggling to get rid of sharps containers? a recent (ish) rule change in Northamptonshire means that the GP and chemists now wont accept them. Apparently I have to take a day off work and book collection through my local council or drive 15 miles to the regional diabetic centre. I tried to use a local needle exchange but they wont accept needles for medical use, only drugs of abuse. Something seems to have gone wrong here.

If we need Nuneaton & Bedworth council to collect ours, we arrange that by phone, they give us a day and we leave the - sealed! sharps bin outside our front door - no interaction required with ourselves. Even if no front garden there's usually a step or window ledge available or hang it on the door handle or something.

I used to take them to my GP's to be disposed of, they have stopped it recently so I have the council to collect them, which I had to book, but they won't collect them from my front door as I live in a flat, they want the bin store, which all the flats use which is not really that secure to put boxes of clinical waste. I had such an issue with my local council to collect mine, I just can't understand why they can't collect from my front door.

I used to have the sharps boxes on prescription, but my GP also stopped issuing them so I have had to get a larger one of Amazon which is a pain, as I have to pay to get them, I always thought that anything I needed I would get free not in this case, I don't know where it's because of Covid. Good luck getting yours sorted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back