Shaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does seem, from what you say, that things have changed lately. I wonder if he may need support with his emotions as much as his diabetes? I wonder if the hospital may be able to access some help for him?
Also, perhaps a chance to converse with people of his age with t1? I think diabestes uk may be able to help there.
I also have to say being in the 10/11s all the time isn't ideal...but like as not that may resolve itself if he starts to feel more confident again.

I wonder if doing something normal with a daily routine would take his mind off focusing on his diabetes. Could the college help with a part time course he could do to keep him in a 'learning' mode and get him out and about rather than sitting at his computer all day.
It probably is important to access help from the diabetic team before he gets passed into the adult system.

Up until recently he was happy for me to go away and even told me to go for 2 night so he could get the house to himself but that all changed out of the blue!
Back in my “day.” There was no internet or social media. (There were computers.) is your son online gaming?
Could he be bullied online? Could he be accessing some negative stuff regarding diabetes?
This could potentially “burn” someone out with the condition.

I wonder if doing something normal with a daily routine would take his mind off focusing on his diabetes. Could the college help with a part time course he could do to keep him in a 'learning' mode and get him out and about rather than sitting at his computer all day.
It probably is important to access help from the diabetic team before he gets passed into the adult system.
Interestingly, I was in full time work at that age & then got a position at a college full time away from home. (Coming back home for the holidays & back to work.) Let’s just say it was a learning curve.
But I would agree he needs to get “out there.” (Find confidence.)

It does seem, from what you say, that things have changed lately. I wonder if he may need support with his emotions as much as his diabetes? I wonder if the hospital may be able to access some help for him?
Also, perhaps a chance to converse with people of his age with t1? I think diabestes uk may be able to help there.
I also have to say being in the 10/11s all the time isn't ideal...but like as not that may resolve itself if he starts to feel more confident again.
If the anxiety is around the changes in BG and worries around sleep, etc., perhaps the best bet is to listen and ask him to explain what he thinks he should do/how he should deal with it. He may not actually want you to tell him but needs a sounding board to confirm that he's making sense.

The danger of conversing with others is that one often only hears good things, which may not help matters, and also we are all different, which requires some objectivity and experience in order to get a feel for what is "normal".

But I don't know. I only started talking to other T1s this year, it's only taken me ~38 years. OTOH my parents were always happy to listen when I wanted to discuss what I planned to do/why I thought things were happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back