Shaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

mummyange

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi can anyone help? My son has been feeling really shaky and feels like his levels are dropping even though they are not. On Friday he had a really bad panic attack and I have to try and stop him from pricking his finger every 10 minutes. He is finally getting a Dexcom but the shaking is worrying me as it seems to be constant. Is this normal? Thanks I advance.

What sort of numbers is he generally at? If he’s been running high then a drop, especially a fast drop, can lead to hypo symptoms even when he’s well in range. Generally it’s advised to not treat these drops like you would a hypo but if it’s causing distress I would give a snack of a biscuit or similar slowish carb (not juice or sweets) and give insulin if needed.

The dexcom will help by showing trends and can give earning of fast drops etc.

Hi can anyone help? My son has been feeling really shaky and feels like his levels are dropping even though they are not. On Friday he had a really bad panic attack and I have to try and stop him from pricking his finger every 10 minutes. He is finally getting a Dexcom but the shaking is worrying me as it seems to be constant. Is this normal? Thanks I advance.
His usual levels and where he feels comfortable are 10/11. But even at those recently he has been feeling shaky.

His usual levels and where he feels comfortable are 10/11. But even at those recently he has been feeling shaky.

Could he becoming down with something? The recent virus made me feel faint, shaky and like I had to sit down. Perhaps that coupled with anxiety about hypos is the cause?

For panic attacks, certain breathing exercises can help.

I really don't know, I don't know where to turn as nhs feel useless to me. I have called nhs24 several times and they don't help. He had an appointment at the diabetes clinic today but as we were late they left! We were late due to him nearly passing out as we had to walk quite a bit. He is shaky and says he doesn't feel right, as if his levels are dropping even though they aren't, he isn't eating properly as he is afraid to inject. His scanner is always way off!! I'm at a total loss and it's causing my anxiety levels to rise cause I just don't know how to help him!

Has he had blood tests recently @mummyange ? I’m wondering if something like anaemia has been ruled out?

I think I’d try to separate the two things: that is, firstly he has anxiety about going low, and secondly he feels shaky. The two things could be connected but they might not be. I gave that anaemia example above. If it were something like that, he’d have a mental/emotional/anxiety issue but also an actual physical condition. Does that make sense? To try to work out whether the anxiety is causing the shaking, or if there’s a separate problem.

When he tests his blood sugar and it’s ok, does the shaking reduce? Does he feel relieved? Or does he still feel shaky?

Can you make an appointment to see his GP to have some non-diabetes things ruled out?

To add - I’ve now seen that your son is getting anxious about different results from fingerprick tests done in a very short space of time. Perhaps these (normal) results have made him feel that he can’t trust the meter? If so, reassuring him that he can trust it, might help. For example, if he gets a 10.2, it might not be exactly 10.2. It might be 10.9 or 9.8 but he can be confident that it’s in the 9s or 10s - ie way above hypo levels. If he can understand that, then it might help relieve a little anxiety.

Has he had blood tests recently @mummyange ? I’m wondering if something like anaemia has been ruled out?

I think I’d try to separate the two things: that is, firstly he has anxiety about going low, and secondly he feels shaky. The two things could be connected but they might not be. I gave that anaemia example above. If it were something like that, he’d have a mental/emotional/anxiety issue but also an actual physical condition. Does that make sense? To try to work out whether the anxiety is causing the shaking, or if there’s a separate problem.

When he tests his blood sugar and it’s ok, does the shaking reduce? Does he feel relieved? Or does he still feel shaky?

Can you make an appointment to see his GP to have some non-diabetes things ruled out?
He is on the list to see a physiologist as I would say its more anxiety than his levels. To me his levels are mostly perfect but I don't know enough about diabetes to say. He had a really bad panic attack on Friday and I'm starting to see he is obsessing too much and also if I go out he phones me constantly for reassance. The first year and a half of his diagnosis he was brilliant but something changed and he isn't himself. Diabetes is ruling our lives at the moment and I don't think it should be this hard!

Sorry to hear your son is suffering so much with anxiety.
Has he always had Libre or is it just since getting Libre that the anxiety has kicked in. Sometimes the extra data that Libre provides and the fact that it sometimes exaggerates lows and highs can be a real cause for concern for people and especially if they then find that Libre readings don't always correspond to their finger prick reading that can add to the anxiety. Sometimes it can be helpful to have a break from Libre altogether. I used to do this when I first got it and every few months I would start to feel overwhelmed and frustrated, especially if my levels were not behaving themselves and then I would have a couple of weeks without it and when I came back to using it again, my mental outlook had reset and I was grateful for the data it gave me again. I will confess that the first night without it I usually feel a bit vulnerable, even though I know my body will wake me up if I drop too low, but after that it just eases the pressure a bit. I absolutely love my Libre but having a break from it occasionally has been an important strategy.

I suppose it is a bit like bereavement for the way things were before diagnosis and the realisation that this is a condition you have for life. The time immediately after diagnosis there is lots to focus on, getting to grips with the technology, working things out and adapting to this new life but then comes the reality.
I remember when my father passed away, my mother seemed fine to start with as there was lots to organise but after about 6 months, that was when it hit her really hard to the extent she needed treatment for severe depression.
I'm not saying this applies to your son but worth bearing in mind that depression manifests itself in lots of ways some of them physical.

Can you pinpoint what changed @mummyange ? I know you’ve previously mentioned a virus that caused his blood sugar to go lower, and you’ve also said about the Libre being inaccurate? Has he had a scary hypo? Those can most definitely cause anxiety. Or, has he read something that’s frightened him, or been told something by someone that’s got him worried?

I’m wondering if he’d be able to request a Dexcom? I have a Dexcom G7 and the superb accuracy and the extra alarms have really helped me. I trust it. It wasn’t an immediate answer because my trust gradually grew as time went by, but it’s been a massive help.

It’s good that he’s on a list to see a psychologist. There are also things like Mindfulness that can reduce and control anxiety. There are classes in things like Tai Chi and Qigong. Those can help with calmness and mental strength, which would help him deal with his anxiety. I found them a great help and they genuinely made me feel strong and calmer. You could look into things like that while he’s waiting for his appointment.

Symptoms of fatigue, weakness and trembling could be a false hypo if the blood glucose is reducing faster than usual, even if it is not dropping to really low levels, they were most unpleasant when I experienced them, but there are other causes such as magnesium deficiency. There are probably a whole list of possibilities, it is something which requires investigation, I think, if it is causing both physical symptoms and mental distress.

He is on the list to see a physiologist as I would say its more anxiety than his levels. To me his levels are mostly perfect but I don't know enough about diabetes to say. He had a really bad panic attack on Friday and I'm starting to see he is obsessing too much and also if I go out he phones me constantly for reassance. The first year and a half of his diagnosis he was brilliant but something changed and he isn't himself. Diabetes is ruling our lives at the moment and I don't think it should be this hard!
Hello @mummyange , I’m not sure how old your son is. Could there be any correlation with the anxiety and a change in your social circumstances? (You are entitled to have some time out with your friends.) You mention him phoning whilst you’re out or problems prior to an appointment?
I could be way off track. You didn’t say if he was dropping down from much higher BG levels at the time.

He is constantly asking what I think he should do, I don't have the answers. Not long ago it was him telling me everything as I am clueless about diabetes and he was amazing. Something just changed one day! At the moment he feels like he is having a hypo but his levels are normal but they are dropping quickly for no reason which is worrying him. He had a phone consultation with one of the nurses yesterday and for a few hours he was good but at bed time his levels went up to 14/15 so he wouldn't sleep till they came down which caused him to panic. He also won't eat if his levels are above 10 because he is terrified they will shoot up afterwards. When he sleeps he jumps awake as if they are going low but are normal. I just don't get it. Its definitely more mental than a diabetes problem and not knowing more. Sorry for the rant just need to get all my frustration out!

Hello @mummyange , I’m not sure how old your son is. Could there be any correlation with the anxiety and a change in your social circumstances? (You are entitled to have some time out with your friends.) You mention him phoning whilst you’re out or problems prior to an appointment?
I could be way off track. You didn’t say if he was dropping down from much higher BG levels at the time.
My son is 17, he doesn't go out just sits on his computer. The plan was college but until we get this under control there is no way he could go. If I'm away to my partners house my mum watches him but he still phones so it seems I'm the only one that can comfort him and its frustrating.

@mummyange It can be really scary going to sleep when you have Type 1. Now we have CGMs, it’s an awful lot easier but I remember times when I was afraid to sleep or kept waking up at night.

Do you know why his levels went up to 14/15? Did he miscount his carbs?

@mummyange It can be really scary going to sleep when you have Type 1. Now we have CGMs, it’s an awful lot easier but I remember times when I was afraid to sleep or kept waking up at night.

Do you know why his levels went up to 14/15? Did he miscount his carbs?
We don't know, he is eating the same things everyday and injecting the sames we don't know changes but he hasn't got the mylife app set up on his new phone and when he asks the nurses for the information he needs for it they only give him part of what he needs. He has the hospital on the 18th so we are writing down everything that we want to know and not leaving without it all.

My son is 17, he doesn't go out just sits on his computer. The plan was college but until we get this under control there is no way he could go. If I'm away to my partners house my mum watches him but he still phones so it seems I'm the only one that can comfort him and its frustrating.
No disrespect to my parents. But at that age I was glad for them to get away from the house for a while. (Or I was out half the night myself, with friends.)
You mention a you’re away at your partner’s house? Could this be causing some sort of attachment anxiety?

Sometimes what seem like small variations in carb amounts can have a surprisingly big effect on blood sugar. It sounds like he’s not actually carb counting, is that right @mummyange ?

No disrespect to my parents. But at that age I was glad for them to get away from the house for a while. (Or I was out half the night myself, with friends.)
You mention a you’re away at your partner’s house? Could this be causing some sort of attachment anxiety?
Up until recently he was happy for me to go away and even told me to go for 2 night so he could get the house to himself but that all changed out of the blue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back