Service users' intention towards using mobile health app in hospitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adkem

Relationship to Diabetes
HCP/Researcher
We are looking for adults as service users in the UK with at least a chronic disease to participate in a 10-minute survey as part of a study.

The study titled: "Service users' intention towards using mobile health app in hospitals" aims to gain a better understanding of factors that can prevent the patients from using the mobile health apps while on admission, the expected support and how they feel about a continuous use of their mobile health apps to manage their health conditions.

Kindly find the link below to take part in the survey.

https://forms.gle/YtynPumUffguKUpHA

The survey can be shared widely to ensure other people have the opportunity to share their views. Results from this study will be used in conjunction with previous work to provide clarity and insight towards the adoption and usage of mobile health apps in clinical practice.

This has been approved by Mike @everydayupsanddowns

Attachments

I may well be stupid, but I fell at the first hurdle.
What is "a mobile health app"?
Are you referring to the NHS App / website?
Or something else, unspecified?
Baffled.

I use the Dexcom G7 app on my mobile as well as the NHS app. Also a couple of healthvapos on my Smart watch. Don't they count @John Gray?

I did the survey, but most questions are a bit weird to be honest, eg asking about my belief that my mobile app is essential to me to control my disease. (er, what is this control where my diabetes is concerned then?) then asking whether those nearest and dearest to me would want or expect me to be using mobile apps when in hospital as an inpatient. They'd just expect me to do whatever I normally do, I imagine! Whyever would I actually discuss this with any of them unless I needed to go in hosp?

This mobile health app in hospitals ... is this only for those registered with an NHS england account? since the NHS account in wales would not work with that.
Before even considering launching something like this it needs to work for all applicable countries in UK, or needs to be marketed in a way to show it is only for one specific country in the UK.
Basically it should not called an NHS app if it does not work for the entire NHS

Last edited:
@Adkem I have looked at your survey and agree with @John Gray . It is not clear what you mean by "Mobile App" and there is no way i can make any sense of your questions because of that.

It would be helpful to the forum and your research if you could clarify things.

@Adkem I have looked at your survey and agree with @John Gray . It is not clear what you mean by "Mobile App" and there is no way i can make any sense of your questions because of that.

It would be helpful to the forum and your research if you could clarify things.
mobile health apps like the oviva, diabetes monitoring e.g dexcom g7, MyFitnessPal, mood prism, becca, mysunrise, owise etc

mobile health apps like the oviva, diabetes monitoring e.g dexcom g7, MyFitnessPal, mood prism, becca, mysunrise, owise etc

I’ve only heard of two of those and use neither. Might have been helpful to ask respondents which apps they do use?

(Librelink, Sweet Dreams, MySugr, NutraCheck, Apple Health and the NHS app for me)

I have submitted my responses but I am not sure if it was correct. I referred to using healthcare apps as an outpatient. Is this survey only for using apps as an inpatient?

I am going to hang fire even attempting it until it is better worded. I looked at the title a few times and thought maybe I was being stupid as it was horribly ambiguous just for starters. If I don't even understand the title of the thread, how can I hope to complete the survey.

I am an adult in the UK and I have Type 1 diabetes..... not sure I would call that a "chronic disease"... just a condition that I have to manage, but I am guessing that it qualifies me to take part in the survey since you have posted on a diabetes website. It sounds like I then need to understand if this is any app pertaining to health and managing my condition and if this relates to what I would intend to do if I was hospitalised for some reason, rather than what I do at home and that in itself would depend upon being conscious and capable of using an app and if the hospital staff would allow me to follow my usual diabetes management, which I believe isn't always the case.
So lots of "ifs and buts" already. I would certainly want to manage my own diabetes in hospital if I was unfortunate enough to need admission and I was able to do so and that would possibly involve using the LibreLink app.

I am an adult in the UK and I have Type 1 diabetes..... not sure I would call that a "chronic disease"
There are two(ish) meanings of "chronic". In my experience, the most common use of the word (outside of healthcare) means "really really bad". This is what I first thought of when I heard diabetes mentioned as a chronic condition (or, even worse "chronic disease"). While diabetes is definitely not to be taken lightly, I believe, if it is managed, it doesn't really qualify as "chronic" in this sense.
This meant I had to grab the dictionary and check my understanding and was reminded that chronic also means
"(of an illness) persisting for a long time".
In this sense Type 1 diabetes is a chronic condition.
I don't feel I am sufficiently qualified/knowledgeable to determine whether other types of diabetes are "chronic".

There are two(ish) meanings of "chronic". In my experience, the most common use of the word (outside of healthcare) means "really really bad". This is what I first thought of when I heard diabetes mentioned as a chronic condition (or, even worse "chronic disease"). While diabetes is definitely not to be taken lightly, I believe, if it is managed, it doesn't really qualify as "chronic" in this sense.
This meant I had to grab the dictionary and check my understanding and was reminded that chronic also means
"(of an illness) persisting for a long time".
In this sense Type 1 diabetes is a chronic condition.
I don't feel I am sufficiently qualified/knowledgeable to determine whether other types of diabetes are "chronic".
It is actually more the term "disease" that I object to, than the chronic bit! I kind of accept the term chronic as being something that is a regular, ongoing issue. I don't see my body or pancreas as diseased! It just a few important little cells that accidentally got killed off. I may be wrong in my understanding of the word "disease"

It is actually more the term "disease" that I object to, than the chronic bit! I kind of accept the term chronic as being something that is a regular, ongoing issue. I don't see my body or pancreas as diseased! It just a few important little cells that accidentally got killed off. I may be wrong in my understanding of the word "disease"
According to the OED: “a disorder of structure or function in a human, animal, or plant, especially one that has a known cause and a distinctive group of symptoms, signs, or anatomical changes.”

I think one could safely categorise diabetes as a “disorder of function”.

According to the OED: “a disorder of structure or function in a human, animal, or plant, especially one that has a known cause and a distinctive group of symptoms, signs, or anatomical changes.”

I think one could safely categorise diabetes as a “disorder of function”.
I just looked up the same thing and came to the same conclusion. But, like @rebrascora I don't like the term. I think I tend to consider a disease as something that gets worse (not part of the OED definition but associations my brain make) and that is not how I see managed Type 1.
I prefer to just call it a chronic condition.

The only thing that would unsettle me during a long stay. Where do I charge my device?
This idea would be pretty useless to a sensor user if the phone is over ten meters away & sat in a metal box.

We are looking for adults as service users in the UK with at least a chronic disease to participate in a 10-minute survey as part of a study.

The study titled: "Service users' intention towards using mobile health app in hospitals" aims to gain a better understanding of factors that can prevent the patients from using the mobile health apps while on admission, the expected support and how they feel about a continuous use of their mobile health apps to manage their health conditions.

Kindly find the link below to take part in the survey.

https://forms.gle/YtynPumUffguKUpHA

The survey can be shared widely to ensure other people have the opportunity to share their views. Results from this study will be used in conjunction with previous work to provide clarity and insight towards the adoption and usage of mobile health apps in clinical practice.

This has been approved by Mike @everydayupsanddowns
is there payment for participants?

is there payment for participants?
Are you able/allowed to give blood? Do you get paid for so doing?
Just how much financial reward do you think completing a 10-minute online survey should attract?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back