Semiglutide or gliclazide

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan74uk

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Not sure if ive spelt this drug name correctly but is this drug an alternative to gliclazide or can it be taken at the same time

Whats the differences
Which ones better

Any info on this
Im looking to lose 1.5 stone more from14.8

Glycaside effectivly 'squeezes' your pancreas to get as much insulin out of it as possible, i was on it for a bit. I semiglutide works on your appetite.
2 very different drugs that do different things

My spelling of both is wrong though...

Not sure if ive spelt this drug name correctly but is this drug an alternative to gliclazide or can it be taken at the same time

Whats the differences
Which ones better

Any info on this
Im looking to lose 1.5 stone more from14.8
Glycaside effectivly 'squeezes' your pancreas to get as much insulin out of it as possible, i was on it for a bit. I semiglutide works on your appetite.
2 very different drugs that do different things
Which is?

Gliclazide could effectively cause you to put on weight if you are currently eating more than your body needs because it will enable that high level of glucose in your blood to be stored as fat by increasing insulin secretion. I would add that insulin does not cause you to put on weight but it allows you to utilize all the glucose in your blood stream and if there is more than you need, it will store it as fat so if you are eating too much, it will store the excess as fat.
Semaglutide I believe tells your body that you are full quicker, so discourages you from eating too much, therefore resulting in you putting less glucose into your blood stream and not needing as much insulin to deal with it and store it as fat. ie. you only eat as much as you need for energy or perhaps less meaning you burn fat rather than storing excess glucose as fat. It seems like a perfect solution which is why it has become so popular but quite a lot of people experience nausea with it, which is part of how it works, because that discourages you from eating and obviously it isn't pleasant feeling sick.
Gliclazide deals with the issue of high BG levels but you need to make dietary changes along side it too, otherwise I imagine you will need progressively higher doses until your insulin producing beta cells are burnt out and you need insulin. That may be an overly pessimistic take on it but dietary changes are key to managing Type 2 diabetes effectively and preventing progression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back