Semglee shortage?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys, we've checked this with the relevant company directly and they've said that there aren't any supply issues and you should be able to get the medication as usual.

There may be short term distribution challenges that are specific to a pharmacy or the likes but the actual supply is said to be fine.

Do consult your health care professionals for alternative sources if you're struggling to get your usual medication.
I always give patients our contacts (Hospital pharmacy distribution) when they tell us their pharmacy cannot source particular medicines when I know full well they are available!

I’ve just come away from pharmacy without my Semglee. Was told they are having supply issues
The thing is…. You can’t F around with a prescription of Insulin?!! If there is a genuine shortage of a particular brand of 100units/ml Glargine (Lots out there that are bio equivalent just maybe not on your local CCG formulary for cost reasons usually) then the prescribers at your Gp surgery (GPs or pharmacists) should be looking at swapping to a brand of Glargine that is available.

then the prescribers at your Gp surgery (GPs or pharmacists) should be looking at swapping to a brand of Glargine that is available.

… although with the caveat that one member @Flower (I think) had a very different experience with a biosimilar, which behaved very differently to the usual branded version.

It’s made me aware that as always, Your Diabetes May Vary, and biosimilar needs as careful handling as any other insulin switch 🙂

… although with the caveat that one member @Flower (I think) had a very different experience with a biosimilar, which behaved very differently to the usual branded version.

It’s made me aware that as always, Your Diabetes May Vary, and biosimilar needs as careful handling as any other insulin switch 🙂
I totally agree! I know preps of drugs sometimes have different bioavailability ie you can’t swap between branded versions of phenytoin or lithium for instance but I would have thought that Insulin being a critical med (Phenytoin also is) that there would be some manoeuvreability between brands if your usual one isn’t available?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back