Semaglutide 2.4mg (Wegovy): hunger, cravings, weight-loss, mood at 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Edson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
The “Clinical Trial Service Unit and Epidemiological Studies Unit” “at” the University of Oxford are conducting a trial of oral semaglutide where approximately 20,000 Type 2 diabetics over 55 years old without any record of heart or circulatory problems, such as heart attacks or strokes, are offered this drug but half will receive a placebo. The trial is called “AscendPlus”.

An earlier trial called Ascend handed out aspirins to a lot of people but this study was inconclusive.

Semaglutide is widely used in weight loss treatment when any improvement in heart or circulatory conditions would be apparent? Or ought to happen in any event due to weight loss.

NICE offer this indications and dose advice for semaglutide:
Type 2 diabetes mellitus as monotherapy (if metformin inappropriate), or in combination with other antidiabetic drugs (including insulin) if existing treatment fails to achieve adequate glycaemic control.

A friend who should know about these thing described Oxford health care as “greedy b***ards”.

Sorry - where does he/she get the 'greedy' inference from, or why?

The “Clinical Trial Service Unit and Epidemiological Studies Unit” “at” the University of Oxford are conducting a trial of oral semaglutide where approximately 20,000 Type 2 diabetics over 55 years old without any record of heart or circulatory problems, such as heart attacks or strokes, are offered this drug but half will receive a placebo. The trial is called “AscendPlus”.

An earlier trial called Ascend handed out aspirins to a lot of people but this study was inconclusive.

Semaglutide is widely used in weight loss treatment when any improvement in heart or circulatory conditions would be apparent? Or ought to happen in any event due to weight loss.

NICE offer this indications and dose advice for semaglutide:
Type 2 diabetes mellitus as monotherapy (if metformin inappropriate), or in combination with other antidiabetic drugs (including insulin) if existing treatment fails to achieve adequate glycaemic control.

A friend who should know about these thing described Oxford health care as “greedy b***ards”.

How are the Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust “greedy b***ards”?
Is that some sort of political statement?

Firstly, Novo developed semaglutide for diabetics in 2012. The drug inhibited glucagon and appeared to create pancreatic beta cells; the net effect would be to increase insulin. The drug also aided weight reduction. After a year long study the drug was approved by the FDA in 2018 and the oral version, rybelsus, was approved in 2020. The following year it was approved as an anti-obesity drug by the FDA. However, in that year the drug was found to be inferior to other similar drugs when used with metformin (hence the NICE monotherapy condition). Perhaps you can see the pattern? Find a willing partner to conduct another trial to enhance the marketability of the drug. The drug is expensive and the construction of a trial which achieves the desired result will be well rewarded.

Secondly, in need of particularly expensive surgery which became more urgent as time passed and impossible in Oxford NHS, the private cost in Oxford was more expensive than London. And, in my opinion, the surgery in all respects was better In London.

These are just my opinions.

Still not sure how testing a drug at a university, (and there is a second trial ongoing in association with dementia) has any effect on the NHS waiting list, or why a surgeon in Oxford should be forced to undercut a surgeon in London?

It is better to outsource trials to an independent facility in a University, in house trials would be considered biased.

I see the Primary Completion date for the study is August 2028, and the Final Completion date is 2048. Hardly making a fast buck!

Still not sure how testing a drug at a university, (and there is a second trial ongoing in association with dementia) has any effect on the NHS waiting list, or why a surgeon in Oxford should be forced to undercut a surgeon in London?

It is better to outsource trials to an independent facility in a University, in house trials would be considered biased.
The only medical input was to scan the medical files of those who granted the NHS permission to do so many years ago and extract those who fulfilled the criteria. There are some nasty side effects which are being ignored in a trial of this size; if they’re not and it’s not clear that it is then there will be a considerable effort required to further screen all 20,000. That will divert resources away? And it isn’t a question of undercutting anybody. It is supply and demand. This is where the greed arises.

I see the Primary Completion date for the study is August 2028, and the Final Completion date is 2048. Hardly making a fast buck!
The original study lasted a year and followed with unanimous approval for the drug.

The only medical input was to scan the medical files of those who granted the NHS permission to do so many years ago and extract those who fulfilled the criteria. There are some nasty side effects which are being ignored in a trial of this size; if they’re not and it’s not clear that it is then there will be a considerable effort required to further screen all 20,000. That will divert resources away? And it isn’t a question of undercutting anybody. It is supply and demand. This is where the greed arises.

Supply and demand?
Have you ever refused a pay rise, or offered to work for the lowest bidder?
Or refused to pay a sale price in one shop, and bought at the full pre sale price in the shop next door?
Our entire economy is based on supply and demand.

I find it fascinating that some people seem to think that Pharma companies exist for the good of humanity.

They exist to make a profit and that is their primary objective. They are happy to treat symptoms instead of root causes and have no shame in exaggerating the benefits of their products.

Novo Nordisk have made billions from insulin after Banting gave away the rights to its production for $1 to aid humanity...

Weight loss from their drug appears to be temporary and once you come off it the weight comes back...

A customer cured is a customer lost..

I find it fascinating that some people seem to think that Pharma companies exist for the good of humanity.

They exist to make a profit and that is their primary objective. They are happy to treat symptoms instead of root causes and have no shame in exaggerating the benefits of their products.

Novo Nordisk have made billions from insulin after Banting gave away the rights to its production for $1 to aid humanity...

Weight loss from their drug appears to be temporary and once you come off it the weight comes back...

A customer cured is a customer lost..

Interesting.
What patents are there currently on insulin?
Metformin?

Last edited by a moderator:
@bulkbiker, @travellor. Hope you guys are not off down another rabbit hole where arguing about the extremities of an issue looses sight of the centre ground.

@bulkbiker, @travellor. Hope you guys are not off down another rabbit hole where arguing about the extremities of an issue looses sight of the centre ground.

I personally think any trial of a new medication is always a good thing.
This one is no exception.
And it seems to work well.
It also seems it may also be advantageous to Altzeimers as well, which can't be bad.
A patent for a successful medication costs around half a billion to a billion dollars, I wish I had that sort of money, but I haven't, so I don't object to any one else spending that sort of money to bring me a med I may well be using one day.
And then, a patent only lasts twenty years, after that there are no boundaries on who can knock it out, but it's not a garden shed industry.
I thank the original entrepreneurs for "big pharma" making a great contribution to mankind's health, and continuing to do so.
Profit isn't a dirty word.

But point taken.

True. That's the way things usually work with meds for chronic conditions.
That's why dietary changes are both more effective and easier long term.

Just need to find a sustainable way of eating that leads to weightless without starvation.

The trial is called “AscendPlus”.
Curiously, I just got an invitation for that. Maybe they don't have permissions to search for people with specific type of diabetes or something? Regardless, it is for people with Type 2 which I don't have, so there's been some kind of mixup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back