seen the diabetic nurse today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simon if you get the chance of Byetta - bite their hands off. As far as I'm concerned it has been a life saver for me, BG is right down to normal, apart from a blip yesterday it's rarely over 7.5 even after meals and usually in 4's and 5's. Last Hba1c was 6. I have lost 15 kg and feel great. Prior to Byetta BG's were always in double figures and I felt vile. I was gaining weight rapidly. This kills your apetite and gives you a good chance to eat properly. I no longer have the awful cravings for carbs. I did get some nausea but there are things you can do to minimise that. I rarely get it now 4 months in.
Now as for the injections, well I am a big wuss and was really worried about it but they are tiny weeny needles and it takes 6 seconds to do. They don't hurt and someone will show you how to do it. Much less painful than pricking your finger and usually I hardly feel it at all. The pen just delivers the correct dose and you use 1 every 30 days. You have to be a bit more organised with it all but the very slight hassle is worth it BIG TIME. Go for it.😉

I think it's a valid fear if you really don't know what it entails. Once you know and have tried it then it's less of a problem although still a genuine phobia for some. I think that, personally, I'd had so many injections and catheters (in cluding one up my femoral artery into my heart!) in the week preceding giving myself my first injection I was pleasantly relieved at how simple and straightforward it was!

i had that as well when i had the miscarriage because the did something so they did not have to put me to sleep in fear to end up on ITU again and at the end i have to be put at sleep anyway

yes i did i tried in my arm belly and leg the leg was the more painfull one i did do it when i was training my childminder and the teachers as well and with all my operation i had about 30 injection when i was going in ITU i cannot remember a lot i was on morphine but after 6 operation 1 miscarriage and one pregnancy i had my share

One of my friends stuck one of my needles in his forehead and hand 😱

i have a huge needle phobia - i honestly dont think i could do it - it took me 18 months to get a blood test :( oh well!

i can understand but what will happened if one day you will really need injections?

i have a huge needle phobia - i honestly dont think i could do it - it took me 18 months to get a blood test :( oh well!

We've had a few people here who also have this phobia Simon. There are devices available that shield the needle from view and have a flat surface to hold against the skin, and many people find these helpful as they don't actually need to look at the needle.

I can understand it Simon but what happens if you have to go onto insulin? From what I can see Byetta is far easier, just twice a day with no calculations to make. Much less chance of hypos. Lowest I went was 3.9 and that was only once. The trade off for me is I feel much better and I am now in control of what I eat. These tiny needles are nothing like having a blood test, I'm still a bit scared of those. A nurse will show you how to do it and they are used to people being nervous. After the first couple you won't have a problem. It is so easy - honest!

Doing the actual injections is the easy part ,honestly and I say that after more than 40000 of them.

o my god was he drunk or was an accident

He was doing it to show off. He really liked me :D

Honestly, if you can get a blood test done (im terrified of blood tests), you can inject yourself with a tiny needle in the stomach or arm...

Anyway, why worry about tht yet? you can try working on your diet & exercise if you have a glucose meter 🙂

He was doing it to show off. He really liked me :D

Honestly, if you can get a blood test done (im terrified of blood tests), you can inject yourself with a tiny needle in the stomach or arm...

Anyway, why worry about tht yet? you can try working on your diet & exercise if you have a glucose meter 🙂

I hope you realised he was an idiot! 😉

Katie is right Simon, don't stress about things that may never happen, or at least for many years. Hopefully, the thought of staying away from injections for as long as possible will motivate you to explore other ways of reducing your levels. 🙂

I know you are scared Simon, cross that bridge if and when you come to it.

For now im sure you realise you need to get control of your diabetes, your hba1c is too high and im sure you know you must try and get that down for your future well being.

Sorry the dsn was useless please try and see someone else, all health professionals arnt the same, there are some great ones out there, you just have to be proactive and find them!

I hope you realised he was an idiot! 😉

Katie is right Simon, don't stress about things that may never happen, or at least for many years. Hopefully, the thought of staying away from injections for as long as possible will motivate you to explore other ways of reducing your levels. 🙂

Yes I did. In the end he got really p*ssed off with me because I wouldn't go out with him 😉

Simon, If fear of injections isn't enough to motivate you I don't know what is :D

hahaha well i'm always motivated :D its funny because my diet is actually quite good, i dont eat a lot of anything really, but i've always been heavy. i think when i get my leg sorted i will try and get into more sport. although i do walk everywhere, dont own a car and hardly ever use public transport.

the injection maybe a good thing anyway - will have to see what she says when i talk to her in a couple of weeks :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back