Scary symptoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
11.4 is higher than you would like but will not cause you any damage short term, so nothing to panic about.

If it helps to put it into context, I hit 27 one night and that did panic me a bit as that is close to needing hospital. I drank lots of water all night (and of course also spent the night weeing for England 🙄 ) to help bring it down a bit and it was down to 22 by the next morning. I learned my lesson well that night not to eat Jacobs salt and vinegar crackers again.... or at least not a whole bag full in one go!! 😱

Out of curiosity, what did you have to eat and did you test before and after eating or just after?

If you really feel the need to eat then have a plate of veggies like veggie sticks with salsa or cream cheese or a small chunk of cheese or a boiled egg with a little mayonnaise, but I am pretty sure you will not starve before breakfast. These cravings for extra food will ease over time and with eating slower release and sustaining foods. The need to eat in between meals and before bed is part of the problem and may well be caused by the food choices you are making. Once I cut the carbs right down, I stopped being hungry and sometimes I only have one or 2 meals a day and it is enough. The more carbs I ate, the hungrier I became and the more I wanted. It really amazes me how little food I actually need now.
I tested at 5.15 it was 4.8, ate at 6.30 tested 2 hours after eating at 8.30 had a McD spicy chicken burger and few chips, only water since, I now know, wrong choice, and it was a treat….I’ve a lot to learn I think
I live on my own, and eat ready meals quite often, am I right in thinking they’re not a good idea.

I tested at 5.15 it was 4.8, ate at 6.30 tested 2 hours after eating at 8.30 had a McD spicy chicken burger and few chips, only water since, I now know, wrong choice, and it was a treat….I’ve a lot to learn I think
I live on my own, and eat ready meals quite often, am I right in thinking they’re not a good idea.
You would be wise to check out the total carbs in the 'ready meals' as some can be very high in carbs especially if they have potatoes, rice or pasta and are in lots of sauce. It maybe that half a portion bulked out with lots of veg or salad would be OK.
Alternatively you could cook sufficient for several portions and freeze so you have your own low carb ready meals.
Things like stir fry or omelettes are good quick meals. Cooked meats, eggs, cheese or fish with salads and coleslaw are handy to have in the fridge

You would be wise to check out the total carbs in the 'ready meals' as some can be very high in carbs especially if they have potatoes, rice or pasta and are in lots of sauce. It maybe that half a portion bulked out with lots of veg or salad would be OK.
Alternatively you could cook sufficient for several portions and freeze so you have your own low carb ready meals.
Things like stir fry or omelettes are good quick meals. Cooked meats, eggs, cheese or fish with salads and coleslaw are handy to have in the fridge
Thanks, I will do that.
BS now down to 6.6…

Only consumed 87g carbs all day, since 7.30 this morning, two hours after this evening, meal BS is 11.9…..what am I doing wrong…?
How many carbs did you have in your evening meal, what did you actually have and what was your blood glucose before you started to eat.

bs 7.6
chicken leek spinach pie 40g carbs
so the increase was more than 4mmol/l which suggests the pie as it was pastry which being make from flour was too high carb so next time have less pie and bulk up with broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, green beans or other not starchy veg.

so the increase was more than 4mmol/l which suggests the pie as it was pastry which being make from flour was too high carb so next time have less pie and bulk up with broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, green beans or other not starchy veg.
It was potato topping, it was a ready meal, thought 42g was ok…..
I’ve not been cooking lately, have been ill, but plan to start and go down the protein and veggi route this week

It was potato topping, it was a ready meal, thought 42g was ok…..
I’ve not been cooking lately, have been ill, but plan to start and go down the protein and veggi route this week
That is the value of testing as people are different in how carbs will affect them. Some people can tolerate say 20g of carbs if it is rice but not if bread yet others will be the other way round.
Yes potatoes are high carb and most likely the sauce in the pie would be thickened with starch or flour.
It is often the carbs in a meal that is important as well as the total in a day.

That is the value of testing as people are different in how carbs will affect them. Some people can tolerate say 20g of carbs if it is rice but not if bread yet others will be the other way round.
Yes potatoes are high carb and most likely the sauce in the pie would be thickened with starch or flour.
It is often the carbs in a meal that is important as well as the total in a day.
Thanks. 🙂

If you are ill, that will also be raising your BG levels. Pain, inflammation and infection will all cause the liver to release more glucose to help your body fight the illness and added to that when you are ill you are usually not very active, so your body is not burning the glucose off. Hopefully once you are fully recovered and can perhaps get out for regular walks or even just be more active in the house, that will help improve your levels as well as your new food regime, but it does take time.
A favourite saying on this forum is that Diabetes is a marathon not a sprint. Changes don't tend to happen overnight and we try not to draw any conclusions from the results of any one meal because there are too many other factors which can influence levels.... but if you have that meal again another day and see a similar rise then it might be something you decide not to have again. Not sure if you like eggs or not, but an omelette is a very quick, simple and filling low carb meal and you can vary the fillings and have it with salad or veggies.

If you are ill, that will also be raising your BG levels. Pain, inflammation and infection will all cause the liver to release more glucose to help your body fight the illness and added to that when you are ill you are usually not very active, so your body is not burning the glucose off. Hopefully once you are fully recovered and can perhaps get out for regular walks or even just be more active in the house, that will help improve your levels as well as your new food regime, but it does take time.
A favourite saying on this forum is that Diabetes is a marathon not a sprint. Changes don't tend to happen overnight and we try not to draw any conclusions from the results of any one meal because there are too many other factors which can influence levels.... but if you have that meal again another day and see a similar rise then it might be something you decide not to have again. Not sure if you like eggs or not, but an omelette is a very quick, simple and filling low carb meal and you can vary the fillings and have it with salad or veggies.
Thanks Barbara, I’m hoping to feel better soon, hoping Fridays blood tests will shed some light on my symptoms, it’s been a hard four weeks. Can’t go out for walks, I’m agoraphobic, but when I feel up to it and have energy, I do exercises in the house. That’s a Very good saying about diabetes being a marathon. And I do like eggs, I make monster omelettes.
Take care 🙂

Thanks Barbara, I’m hoping to feel better soon, hoping Fridays blood tests will shed some light on my symptoms, it’s been a hard four weeks. Can’t go out for walks, I’m agoraphobic, but when I feel up to it and have energy, I do exercises in the house. That’s a Very good saying about diabetes being a marathon. And I do like eggs, I make monster omelettes.
Take care 🙂
I came across a video on utube last night, a Dr Berg talking about apple cider vinegar, he said take two tablespoons in water before evening meal, it prevents blood glucose going too high….??
Has anyone seen this or tried it…?

I find that vinegar seems to have a slightly beneficial effect on my levels. For instance I can eat pickled beetroot with a fork from the jar without any impact on my BG levels despite it being a higher sugar vegetable ie sweet and having sugar added during the pickling process. From what I can find beetroot is 10g carbs per 100g and I can easily eat 100g with a fork from the jar and my levels don't move, whereas half a slice of bread at less than 10g carbs would have me heading into orbit.
I do use apple cider vinegar in my daily fibre drink with a dash of balsamic and chia seeds and psyllium husk and together they really improve my digestive/bowel health, so I'm quite a fan of vinegar in general..... love balsamic drizzled over my salads. 2 tablespoons of ACV in a glass of water might be a bit much for me acidity wise though.

I also use the vinegar from my pickled beetroot in drinks, almost like making non alcoholic cocktails with it and having some sugar, it isn't as acidic as ACV.

Like everything diabetes wise it will be individual, so do some testing and see what happens. Again, several repeat tests under similar circumstances are important before you draw any conclusions.

I find that vinegar seems to have a slightly beneficial effect on my levels. For instance I can eat pickled beetroot with a fork from the jar without any impact on my BG levels despite it being a higher sugar vegetable ie sweet and having sugar added during the pickling process. From what I can find beetroot is 10g carbs per 100g and I can easily eat 100g with a fork from the jar and my levels don't move, whereas half a slice of bread at less than 10g carbs would have me heading into orbit.
I do use apple cider vinegar in my daily fibre drink with a dash of balsamic and chia seeds and psyllium husk and together they really improve my digestive/bowel health, so I'm quite a fan of vinegar in general..... love balsamic drizzled over my salads. 2 tablespoons of ACV in a glass of water might be a bit much for me acidity wise though.

I also use the vinegar from my pickled beetroot in drinks, almost like making non alcoholic cocktails with it and having some sugar, it isn't as acidic as ACV.

Like everything diabetes wise it will be individual, so do some testing and see what happens. Again, several repeat tests under similar circumstances are important before you draw any conclusions.
Just happen to have a bottle, so I’ll be trying it before evening meal, I don’t mind it myself….watch this space… 🙂

Just happen to have a bottle, so I’ll be trying it before evening meal, I don’t mind it myself….watch this space… 🙂
So I had the ACV had Chicken chow mien for tea….(not chippy) BG 6.5 was I surprised, as last 2 meals have shown 11.6&11.9

Has Anyone been diagnosed with subclinical hyperthyroidism ? Did you or do you have symptoms?
can you describe these please.
much appreciated 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back