scarred fingers from blood testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit to only changing my lancet every week or so and I agree with Katie, you getting more blood with a blunt needle. I also have black spots and hard skin, and like Northerner also often get blood out of more than one hole. Guess it just comes with the job and apart from varying sites there's not a lot that we can do.

no not blunt needles, ouch! blunt lancets.

find me a diabetic who has had an infection from a finger pricker and i'll consider changing it every time.

Yeah Im with Twin on this one :D

no not blunt needles, ouch! blunt lancets.

find me a diabetic who has had an infection from a finger pricker and i'll consider changing it every time.
Forgive me, I was only diagnosed a couple of weeks back and I'm still learning the lingo and figuring out how this disease affects me. I'm maybe being overly cautious with the lancets because I'm prone to infections and don't want to risk it. I was going to ask if my fingers will get all calloused from the pricking but I have the answer now don't I? 😉 Something else to look forward to.

Hi Alison, I'm also prone to infections but have never had one at the site where I test (and I tend to use the same site 95% of the time). I guess it's personal choice plus the question of what do you do with the used lancet if you're out & about (I got severely told off for putting them in the rubbish bin and was given a sharps bin for use at home).

Forgive me, I was only diagnosed a couple of weeks back and I'm still learning the lingo and figuring out how this disease affects me. I'm maybe being overly cautious with the lancets because I'm prone to infections and don't want to risk it. I was going to ask if my fingers will get all calloused from the pricking but I have the answer now don't I? 😉 Something else to look forward to.

I think everybody changed the needles/lancets everytime when they were first diagnosed :D I certainly did at first - you just do what the doctors and nurses tell you hehe. But when youve been testing and injecting for years you tend to get a bit more lazy! and it doesnt seem to do any harm.

I wouldnt worry about your fingers, you are bound to get tough bits of skin on the sides of them after years of testing but nothing anyone would notice without looking closely 🙂

Started off changing lancet every time, but soon thought balls to that, try and change it every day but more likely every 2-3 days.

I think I said last time in last thread I prod the tops of my fingers near the nail as I find it difficult to draw blood out, although I try and rotate fingers, it depends what I've been doing, if I've been using my hands I'll prod the middle, but if I've been sitting still or on pc I'll use little finger as find blood pours out of that one easiest.

Black spots appear I'm sure it'll get worse, maybe one day I'll use some of that moisture cream thingy!!

I doubt any serious infections would appear from lancets even if you didn't wash every time to be honest!

infection pronenes, nurses & changing lancets frequency

Alison M - it's possible that you have been more prone to infections recently, when you probably had diabetes, but were undiagnosed and untreated, so your blood glucose levels were higher. As your treatment begins to work, you may well find that your blood glucose levels improve and infections become less frequent.
I think most people with diabetes use a new lancet each time, because that's how it's taught by nurses, who have to change lancets each time between patients. However, I suspect I'm not the only nurse who developed diabetes after working for several years, and I continue to change lancets when finger pricking anyone else, but only change my own lancets when I remember - at least 2 weeks between changes in UK, although I change a bit more frequently when in tropical regions, camping for days / weeks in temperate /arctic / subantarctic regions etc, when washing anyhting more than hands and groin in cold water isn't too popular!

I always used my thums from the age of 2. Only in the last two or three years i have started to use my middle finger and one next to little finger. I always use hand cream, have really dry skin on hands. Doctors said it's my diabetes causing this, apparently a reaction to insulin. I'm sure, if i were to be hit by a bus the doctors would say my diabetes caused it. They blame everything on it. I have a few wee dots about the place as well. x x x🙂

If I had better aim with my lancing device, I wonder if I create a smiley face on my finger? 😉

I get it. My fingers are terrible!!! really hard skin on them and loads of little dots. normally when I test myself I stab my finger and squeeze and more often than not about 3 teeny blobs of blood come out all in random places!

when i come out the bath and look at my finger ends it does make me laugh they look a mess 😱

Ive not changed my lancet for a few MONTHS 😱 it hurts less if its blunt , and I only have it set to 2 🙄
Same here no infections or any nasties like that , I do constantly hand wash though lol hehe

I am so glad that there are other people who do this! I just thought I was a lazy bum!🙄

I always used my thums from the age of 2. Only in the last two or three years i have started to use my middle finger and one next to little finger. I always use hand cream, have really dry skin on hands. Doctors said it's my diabetes causing this, apparently a reaction to insulin. I'm sure, if i were to be hit by a bus the doctors would say my diabetes caused it. They blame everything on it. I have a few wee dots about the place as well. x x x🙂

I have really dry hands too and it is definitely only since ive had diabetes. No doctor has ever said it is but I guess a reaction to insulin could explain it?!

Last time I saw my nursey she almost had a go at me for trying to blame something on Db, funny how different folk have different outlooks! I try not to blame anything on anything stuff happens! If it was the knight bus I'd be asking Tez what he was doing that night:D

I am so glad that there are other people who do this! I just thought I was a lazy bum!🙄

Hehehe I'm lazy too Lesley , I'm sure if more people were honest they'd admit to it too !! its actually been so long since Ive changed my lancet I cant remember !! probably the last time we had a thread like this made me change it !
I have really dry hands too and it is definitely only since ive had diabetes. No doctor has ever said it is but I guess a reaction to insulin could explain it?!

Hmm yes I get quite dry skin , only since going on Insulin , I am a compulsive moisturiser now though , I spend a forture on it !

Hmm yes I get quite dry skin , only since going on Insulin , I am a compulsive moisturiser now though , I spend a forture on it !

It's soo annoying :( I never used to bother moisturise that much but now i have to several times a day because my hands feel horrible otherwise GRR.

Hehehe I'm lazy too Lesley , I'm sure if more people were honest they'd admit to it too !! its actually been so long since Ive changed my lancet I cant remember !! probably the last time we had a thread like this made me change it !

Maybe we should change now??? he he 🙄

Maybe we should change now??? he he 🙄

I would but I'm far too lazy !! pmsl 😉😉 theres always tomorrow lol

ive got a multi clix, so i just have to turn it for a new lancet, but i still dont do it lol 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back