Saturday night takeaway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shay93

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

My family are considering having a takeaway tonight. I’m a little nervous as I’ve been very good recently trying to keep my levels in range and starting to eat better. I don’t want to over or underestimate the food

What do you usually order for a Chinese or Indian takeaway? What would you suggest the ‘safer’ options are?

Thanks!

If having Chinese, I’d have a House Special Egg Foo Yung which has everything in but is very low carb.
Also chicken wings and maybe a couple of barbecued spare ribs (you can get salt and pepper ones or chilli instead of sweet sauces.)

Stir fry meat vegetables in a sauce would be fine but it’s the rice or noodles that pile on the carbs.

For Indian food, chicken tikka with salad and many of the curries but with poppadums instead of rice and naan bread. Kebabs are great too. Have yoghurt raita and the tomato and onion mix with them. Enjoy!

Hi Shay, I had Beef chow mein last night, no spike.... went to bed a little bit higher than I normally do (8.6mmol ) awoke to 6.2 well worth the treat lol.
All normal today, so every now and again that's one of my treats

Sounds lovely!! I’m very hungry now and looking forward to mine after reading your choices 😛

I have gone with a balti minus the rice and ordered a naan. I will most likely only have half (if I can resist :D)

It’s nice to have a treat now and again

I could just eat that, Shay!

I'd probably split my bolus, depending on how much ghee/oil there appeared to be in the balti - cos fat slows the absorption of carbs in either the curry but mostly the rice, naan, chapatti, pappadum (choose your weapon LOL) down by varying amounts. This is where having a take away instead of eating in a restaurant wins out - because the curry has been 'standing' in the tinfoil container for a while before you get it - the oil/ghee floats to the top edges and if I think there's more than I want to re-incorporate - I can soak up what I don't want with a few layers of screwed up kitchen towel.

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back