Sailing / camping diet

YachtieTrev

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am 73 in October and enjoy offshore sailing and camping. I was told yesterday that I had type 2. I am not sure whether I have symptoms. It showed as 48 on a blood test. Today I am about to leave the U.K. to sail from Portugal to Croatia taking several weeks. I have meds for heart disease , cholesterol, and blood pressure . I do not drink alcohol at all or smoke. I am a bit over weight. I have a real sweet tooth. I don’t know what to do. I am cutting out as much as possible processed food and sweets , biscuits etc . I intend to follow second natures low carb diet where I can. I did a course once before and since lapsed. I need an easy weekly menu with one pot or no pot cooking. I am also still in a bit of a shock.

Wow! What an amazing adventure @YachtieTrev !

Sorry to hear about your diabetes stowing away on your trip and coming along for the ride though.

Will space be at a premium on board? How about a fridge for fresh foods? I’m guessing that might be small?

Are you able to make short coastal hops to access shops fairly regularly? Or will you need preserved / dried goods to feature heavily?

There are some general suggestions of meals that people enjoy here:

Not sure if that will give you any ideas to plunder?!

Hello
There was really no one to break the news - just a text ! Anyway no med help or advice apart from you and this site. I have a small fridge. Access to local shops most time ( unlike mid Atlantic!). Anyway I bought Greek yoghurt and strawberries. This is breakfast - snacks. I have wholewheat bread and cottage cheese - one slice being breakfast and lunch . Fish and salad in restaurants with one potato or equivalent. Chicken and meat in moderation- 1/4 plate.
This is so far with various fruits. I am unsure how much fruit I can eat. I will see your link. This may allow you to see my progress so far. If not let me know. The next trip is avoiding Orcas in Gib strait.
Thank you for help.
Trev

@YachtieTrev whilst I am no advocate for processed foods, things like Pepperami are a decent standby - low carb, don't need a fridge and filling.

Our yacht had a fridge freezer and a full cooker, so we had more options, for catering and food storage. Of course, that doesn't help with dining in rough seas, when eating in moderation is handled by the waves swell and food lost from plates in the heaving seas (that was in the Caribbean, so it can happen everywhere are you likely know).

Take it steady. Go easy on the bread, sweet things and fruit.

Personally, I have always been able to handle foods with few airmiles in the lives (i.e. local to wherever we were and are), but we are all different.

At 48, you are just over the threshold. Trimming up a bit and watching the carbs will likely be enough for you to be in safe ranges.

(Post diagnosis, I didn't have a lot of excess weight, but I did have love handles, that disappeared quickly.)

Enjoy your trip. With the sort of temperatures southern Europe is having at the moment, one of your greatest challenges is likely to be hydration. Please ensure you are drinking enough - especially if you are cutting back on carbs. When beginning that, many find they have to drink more.

Enjoy!

Thanks a lot. How much fruit is enough and/or type please
The best fruit to have are berries, and a portion is 80gm (don't laugh - that's 5 medium strawberries). I was told no more than 2 portions a day by my diabetic nurse. Apples and pears are considered medium sugar fruits (I can't take either as they give me spikes). The fruit to avoid is, sadly, tropical fruit, and grapes/cherries are literally sugar bombs. When you are on dry land, you might want to consider frozen fruit as it's easier to measure a portion size. Don't know where you live, but in the UK there is a good choice of varieties.

Thanks - at present on a boat
I used to take tins of meat and fish, lots of eggs and bacon.
Back then there was no fridge so dehydrated veges were kept in tins, onions were in nets by the stove and there was a special clamp to hold the pressure cooker over the flame.
These days there is the option of tined fruit in juice rather than syrup and sugar free jelly in foil packs.
These days my 'yacht' is a campervan and I have the strange experience of approaching harbours I know from the landward side, but the preparation and provisioning is much the same.

Back