Ryebelus pros and cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalfpipMarathon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My Dr may consider Ryebelus tomorrow. Originally Ozempic was considered but supplies are impossible to obtain thanks to some using it for weight loss only (weight loss is one of the side effects).

It's a drug licensed for use by diabetics yet they cannot get hold of it.

I have been reading up about Ryebelus and whilst I'm not keen on injections would prefer Ozempic as only required once a week unless I am wrong. Not keen on having to wait 30 mins before I can take my other meds and eat; due to my routine it will be extremely difficult (I have to ensure I have showered and dressed before OH hogs the bathroom when he gets home from work) especially combined with possible side effects.

I am hoping, if no other option, to start at weekend so I have four days to see how it affects me. Unless you can take it at night? Does it have to be same time? Evening is not an issue but morning depends on when I wake.

Update:

My Dr doesn't think Ryebelus is suitable for me so she's going to check my HbA1c in 6 months along with the other tests before my review. I'm relieved tbh.

I have 6 months to make sure that it will be better. If it's improved hopefully Ozempic if it's available might not be required fingers crossed.

Is Nutracheck the paid for version worth it? I have thought about paying the one off price rather than paying monthly. If that's possible.

Last edited:
Rybelsus has a nasty taste and the tablet seems to absorb saliva, making it difficult to swallow, even with the up-to-120ml of water 'allowed'.

I agree that the main problem is having to take it at least 30 minutes before food or any other tablets - I had to set my alarm 30 minutes early to enable me to take it.

Don't forget that you start on a low strength, and gradually work up to the larger strengths. Your other questions are probably answered on the US website.

Rybelsus has a nasty taste and the tablet seems to absorb saliva, making it difficult to swallow, even with the up-to-120ml of water 'allowed'.

I agree that the main problem is having to take it at least 30 minutes before food or any other tablets - I had to set my alarm 30 minutes early to enable me to take it.

Your other questions are probably answered on the US website.
US website but I live in UK so why would I consult an American website?

My Nurse said it was outrageous that diabetics couldn't get hold of Ozempic. She had patients who already had it on prescription and couldn't get it.

Although I wasn't keen on injections I was assured it was like the finger prick so had reconciled myself but now feel like myself and others are being fobbed off. I know Ryebelus is tablet form of Ozempic but the injection is only required once a week which is better but the tablet I assume is required every day unless I am wrong.

Hope you get some answers at the appointment with your Dr tomorrow @HalfpipMarathon

Ozempic has been in short supply for such a long time now :(

Hope you get some answers at the appointment with your Dr tomorrow @HalfpipMarathon

Ozempic has been in short supply for such a long time now :(
It's wrong that a drug licensed for diabetics to help manage their blood sugars has been hijacked by celebrities etc because one of the drug's side effects is weight loss.

I hope that I do, that there's an alternative to Ryebelus as waiting for 30mins before taking my other meds and eating is going to be a problem on work days. I liked the fact that Ozempic only had to be injected once a week.

Isn't Mounjaro about to become available in the UK very soon? It is an injectable, very similar to Ozempic I believe.

@everydayupsanddowns Do you know if Diabetes UK has info on when it is going to be available on prescription? Just wondering if it might be worth @HalfpipMarathon waiting if it is going to be available very soon, although I imagine there may be a lot of people also waiting to get it. Let's hope they have built up a good supply chain before it is released.

Isn't Mounjaro about to become available in the UK very soon? It is an injectable, very similar to Ozempic I believe.

@everydayupsanddowns Do you know if Diabetes UK has info on when it is going to be available on prescription

This page gets periodic updates about the GLP-1 analogue shortages

There’s an update about Mounjaro and its availability here:

“The Mounjaro Kwikpen has been approved by the MHRA to treat people living with type 2 diabetes as a four-dose pre-filled injection pen to be injected as a starting dose of 2.5mg once a week for four weeks.

The pen has also been approved by the MHRA for weight management in people living with obesity or overweight who have weight-related health problems, high blood pressure, high cholesterol or heart problems.

Though Mounjaro is currently authorised by the MHRA for weight loss, and the Kwikpen is authorised for this application, Mounjaro is yet to receive complete appraisal by NICE for weight loss.

A NICE appraisal for Mounjaro to be used for treating overweight and obesity in the NHS is scheduled to be concluded in March 2024, when we would expect recommendations to be published.”

That suggests to me that it is currently available for treatment of diabetes here in the UK unless I am reading it wrong??

@everydayupsanddowns Do you know if Diabetes UK has info on when it is going to be available on prescription? Just wondering if it might be worth @HalfpipMarathon waiting if it is going to be available very soon, although I imagine there may be a lot of people also waiting to get it. Let's hope they have built up a good supply chain before it is released.
Good to know that there's something similar to Ozempic. I'm not sure if my Dr will be keen on me waiting especially if it's unclear when it will be available on prescription.

That suggests to me that it is currently available for treatment of diabetes here in the UK unless I am reading it wrong??

That’s how I read it too. But I think @HalfpipMarathon would need to ask a Dr or Pharmacist to be sure.

US website but I live in UK so why would I consult an American website?
Err - perhaps because the US Rybelsus website is the most comprehensive source of information about Rybelsus?
You just have to bear in mind that some units and practices differ as one crosses the pond...
However, the tablets themselves remain immutable.

Last edited:
Yes it is; I'm on it. It's been available by hand-written FP10 prescription for about a fortnight.
It can be prescribed if the patient fulfils a number of conditions, which I won't bore you with.
See my thread Mounjaro = tirzepatide availability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back