Roy Taylor on causes of T2D (Lancet podcast)

Yes, partially restored first phase that returns quickly and improves over time and a 2nd phase that improves over a longer period time - I believe the assessment of beta cells is that the cells are restored to full functionality and the 'withered' edges seen with T2 are smoothed out. What is important is that the improved response allowed the 'responders' to return to a 'normal' diet and pass an OGTT.
I wasn't actually aware that OGTT results were available from Taylor's studies. I've been looking but have only found one reference to the Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT) so far, in this article - Link- which refers to testing done 12 weeks after completing the weight loss after the Counterpoint study. Out of 10 people tested - 3 had results in the normal range, 4 in the prediabetic range, and 3 in the diabetic range. Is there any similar data from DiRECT do you know? I haven't found reference to it so far but I haven't read all of Taylor's papers. I would be very curious to put the insulin recovery graphs into context. The average recovery in insulin response for the responders in DiRECT as a group doesn't really tell the full story. For example it's known that the people who lost the most weight were most likely to achieve 'remission' - but were they also most likely to get an OGTT test result in the normal range?

The paper is open access now (if it wasn't before), with a free registration on the Lancet site.

Thank you for this.

A comprehensive update and list of references. Recommended reading for one and all who like things straight from the horse's mouth.

Guidance for those of us who have to fend for ourselves still needs to be spelt out by an authoritative body. One for Diabetes UK?

I wasn't actually aware that OGTT results were available from Taylor's studies. I've been looking but have only found one reference to the Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT) so far, in this article - Link- which refers to testing done 12 weeks after completing the weight loss after the Counterpoint study. Out of 10 people tested - 3 had results in the normal range, 4 in the prediabetic range, and 3 in the diabetic range. Is there any similar data from DiRECT do you know? I haven't found reference to it so far but I haven't read all of Taylor's papers. I would be very curious to put the insulin recovery graphs into context. The average recovery in insulin response for the responders in DiRECT as a group doesn't really tell the full story. For example it's known that the people who lost the most weight were most likely to achieve 'remission' - but were they also most likely to get an OGTT test result in the normal range?

I can't recall where I saw it, but there was a paper or presentation that mentioned in passing a glucose tolerance test with results in the 6s, which is well below the level for diabetes and pre-diabetes.

Back