Routine prescribing of cholesterol-lowering drugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a side issue here. I was told that if you have Diabetes, all Precriptions are free,as I have a Hyatis hernia, I thought great. Now it transpires, that precriptions are only free, if you are prescribed any drugs for being Diabetic. IF, and this is what I am led to believe.....IF you go the diet and exercise route, you are not entitled to free scripts.

True!!!!.........or not True???

Yep 'fraid its true Dave. I am D&E controlled, take 2 tabs for high BP and a statin (even tho my cholesterol wasn't what I would call high enough to take it - another 'preventative measure') but have to pay for all them. One good thing though was that I was recently told 2 of the 3 could be purchased on private prescription cheaper than NHS......

Free prescriptions

Hi,

As a side issue here. I was told that if you have Diabetes, all Precriptions are free,as I have a Hyatis hernia, I thought great. Now it transpires, that precriptions are only free, if you are prescribed any drugs for being Diabetic. IF, and this is what I am led to believe.....IF you go the diet and exercise route, you are not entitled to free scripts.

True!!!!.........or not True???

Interesting question. It may be worth giving the Diabetes Uk support line a call about this one?

Just as a further aside, I find it very strange that people suffering from asthma and high blood pressure, who are on medication for either, aren't entitiled to free prescriptions, even though both are life-long and potentially life-threatening conditions!

Hi,

Interesting question. It may be worth giving the Diabetes Uk support line a call about this one?

Just as a further aside, I find it very strange that people suffering from asthma and high blood pressure, who are on medication for either, aren't entitiled to free prescriptions, even though both are life-long and potentially life-threatening conditions!

they are not free if you only diet control diabetes as no medication is required at all. and i also do think it is strange and wrong that people with asthma and high blood pressure dont get it either.

If you aren't entitled to free prescriptions as diet and exercise controlled but have regular medication for other conditions then it is worth investigating the pre-payment certificate option as it can work out a lot cheaper. If you end up on diabetic medications within the time frame of the pre payment certificate then you are entitled to apply for a refund

HI,

My local surgery is routinely prescribing cholesterol-lowering medication for diabetics as a preventive measure. I have resisted so far because my control is fairly good, I don't have high blood pressure and when I asked for both levels of my cholesterol to be tested (good and bad) the ratio of good to bad was good. My cholesterol is about 5.2, which I'm told is not ideal.

Has anyone else come across this routine prescribing? I am still resisting, because I take enough medication as it is and don't want to take stuff if I don't need it.
Dear runner,

Further to the assertion in the Jupiter study that cholesterol levels are not relevent to CHD, have a look at this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8SSCNaaDcE

Regards Dodger

very interesting, will be telling my gp to watch it if he starts on me again re statins !! he he:D
Dear tracey w,

BTW the guy in the video is Dr. Malcolm Kendrick a GP with a practice in Bollington near Macclesfield, he wrote a book "The Great Cholesterol Con", his sense of humour is wicked.

Here's a video showing how the low fat - low cholesterol nonsense got started

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbFQc2kxm9c

Regards Dodger

Last edited:
My cholesterol was 5-4, was put on statins and now is 3-9. My GP said the first level is slightly high for a non diabetic,the ideal is below five,but for a diabetic it is preferably to be lower than four.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back