Roast Potatoes, are they ever OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I have worked out 2 small roast potatoes a yorkshire and a bit of stuffing dont affect my BG levels adversely as long as the main component of my meal is vegetables.

Today I am testing mash potato, (this is a weakness of mine so using some of my allowance of carbs on this as a treat)

My meal today is
200g of cabbage greens (half the plate!)
cod fillet in parsley sauce
Mash
Carrots
Peas

Total calories for the meal is 372
Total Carbs for the meal is 36.2

I will test my BG at 3pm and come back to share the results and whether I can eat a small amount of mash occasionally as long as included in my carb total

lunch 20th August.jpg

Ok, so I have worked out 2 small roast potatoes a yorkshire and a bit of stuffing dont affect my BG levels adversely as long as the main component of my meal is vegetables.

Today I am testing mash potato, (this is a weakness of mine so using some of my allowance of carbs on this as a treat)

My meal today is
200g of cabbage greens (half the plate!)
cod fillet in parsley sauce
Mash
Carrots
Peas

Total calories for the meal is 372
Total Carbs for the meal is 36.2

I will test my BG at 3pm and come back to share the results and whether I can eat a small amount of mash occasionally as long as included in my carb total

View attachment 21839

Did you test before eating?

Did you test before eating?
yes I am 6.1 so if I am 9.1 or less at 3pm I will be happy, I am about to have an hour walk too so that should help get the glucose to the right places 🙂

I found this and have just completed it, so will see if that has helped when I measure at 3 🙂

one point though and I am not sure if its connected to the mash, but my back right hand side below shoulder is aching and I have stomach ache too, I wonder if my fatty liver has objected to this item being consumed, just had an upset stomach directly after my work out. Or it could be that I exercised too soon after eating

So I can deduce, if I ensure I eat the majority of my meal as veg and 1/4 protein then the other bit I can indeed have a little mash! It was really yummy too, havent felt so full after eating before since giving all carbs the elbow. Portion control, and exercise is helping I guess, I am still at the start of this journey but I also hit another milestone today ( 2stone loss in weight since 1st July!) I was 14.4 and today am 12.4 so getting there. I havent updated my signature as not my official weigh in date and it does vary a little but either way I am happy today

So I can deduce, if I ensure I eat the majority of my meal as veg and 1/4 protein then the other bit I can indeed have a little mash! It was really yummy too, havent felt so full after eating before since giving all carbs the elbow. Portion control, and exercise is helping I guess, I am still at the start of this journey but I also hit another milestone today ( 2stone loss in weight since 1st July!) I was 14.4 and today am 12.4 so getting there. I havent updated my signature as not my official weigh in date and it does vary a little but either way I am happy today

Portion control and exercise was the answer for me as well.

Yay!! Great news @Jenny65

And just goes to show how a meter can help - without that confirmation you might have carried avoiding those things you enjoy.

And conversely, you might carry on eating some things believing them to be ‘healthy’ and ‘slow release’ when your body really struggles with them.

Congratulations Jenny on the progress you have already made.
Enjoy finding out what works for you.

I find potato is OK. I don't have it often, but tonight I had chicken, veg and potatoes. BG before was 5.7, and 90 minutes later it was 5.3. I seem to recall when I wore a sensor I found potato had no effect on my BG levels. I don't think I'll be getting a baked spud from Woody's any time soon, though, but every now and then a modest portion seems to cause me no problems.

Looks like fun and if its working for you, wonderful, 🙂 though I'll stick to washing pots and clearing up before a cuppa for now 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back