Retinaopathy Appointment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I could get my eyes checked. I was told there was a three month waiting list. That was 5 and half months ago. Last time I saw the DN she said she would send a reminder and that was 2 months ago :(

Haven't you had one done at all yet? How about quoting the NICE guidelines:

R104 Arrange or perform eye screening at, or around, the time of diagnosis. Arrange repeat of
structured eye surveillance annually.
R105 Explain the reasons for and success of eye surveillance systems to the individual and ensure
attendance is not reduced by ignorance of need, or fear of outcome.
R106 Use mydriasis with tropicamide when photographing the retina, after prior informed
agreement following discussion of the advantages and disadvantages. Discussions should
include precautions for driving.
R107 Use a quality assured digital retinal photography programme using appropriately trained staff.
R108 Perform visual acuity testing as a routine part of eye surveillance programmes.
R109 Repeat structured eye surveillance according to the findings by:
 routine review in 1 year, or
 earlier review, or
 referral to an ophthalmologist.

So what do we do Northerner if we show this and the nurse or gp says its not necessary. I can see that happening at my review.

So what do we do Northerner if we show this and the nurse or gp says its not necessary. I can see that happening at my review.

I think they need to have a pretty convincing counter argument to contravene NICE guidelines. They're always quick to quote the guidelines when it means saving them money, so they can't have it both ways.

This document reports on the progress of the National Service Framework for Diabetes retinopathy screening strategy:

http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh.../@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_083899.pdf

Given that they are supposed to be aiming for 100% coverage, no-one should be excluded.
Perhaps your doctor can explain the last paragraph in particular:

Screening for diabetic retinopathy has been included in the operating framework for the NHS in England 2008/9. Where PCTs are failing to deliver the standard set for diabetic retinopathy, they are obliged to agree recovery plans with their SHAs to ensure improvement. The Department of Health is actively working with and through SHAs to ensure that they have arrangements in place for delivery. This signals our commitment on this issue and the Department of Health will be following up to performance manage the delivery of the recovery plans with SHAs.

Yvw lucy it was ok.... if i were you i push fer it to get appointment & tell them it is necessary 🙂

I have my first retinopathy eye screening test on 5 August and i'm getting quite nervous about it although i did have an eye scan (which i paid 60 pounds for) at my opticians last October at time of diagnosis along with my usual eye test and everything showed up as OK.

I have my first retinopathy eye screening test on 5 August and i'm getting quite nervous about it although i did have an eye scan (which i paid 60 pounds for) at my opticians last October at time of diagnosis along with my usual eye test and everything showed up as OK.
Hello carina im sure ur eyes will be ok if the optician had checked them & was ok 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back