Retinal Screening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for replies, have spoken to my optician (as I wear glasses), they can do the screening there but need the referral. Will call my docs tomorrow to chase.

They don't always need to put drops is your eyes, i went a couple fo weeks ago and the guy said that he would try first without and if he could get a good enough picture then wouldn't need them. Which was great as I was in no more than 10 minutes (instead of the hour the letter said it would take, the time is generally waiting for the drops to work), and could drive straight afterwards. it's worth asking if they can try without the drops.

I did refuse to have my eyes tested for about 3 years because I feel sick and have a bad headache after the drops.

I've got to be honest - I don't find the drops & testing a problem. Yes it stings a bit but that's about it. the laser on the other hand I don't like. I don't enjoy the lens being placed on my eyes and the laser I find very uncomfortable and sore. The hospital I go to (Maidstone) has a new machine which made things a little easier. I've had about 1100 zaps each time - is this comparable to others who have had this? or am I just being a wuss?

I've got to be honest - I don't find the drops & testing a problem. Yes it stings a bit but that's about it. the laser on the other hand I don't like. I don't enjoy the lens being placed on my eyes and the laser I find very uncomfortable and sore. The hospital I go to (Maidstone) has a new machine which made things a little easier. I've had about 1100 zaps each time - is this comparable to others who have had this? or am I just being a wuss?
HI ALAN221 i have been reading a previous thread where you said you had laser treatment on your eyes, was that just a diabetic screening or treatment for an eye condition?? i only ask because the last time i went to the opticions ( spelling??) she said if my eyes got any worse i would have to have laser treatment...

My dad was told he had minoe changes too, but they also took his age into consideration (he is 80).

Over time all of our eyes (amongst other things) change. Go for regular check ups and if you think things are changing get them checked out before the date of you next screening. Getting reassurance is never a waste of time.

My dad was told he had minoe changes too, but they also took his age into consideration (he is 80).

Over time all of our eyes (amongst other things) change. Go for regular check ups and if you think things are changing get them checked out before the date of you next screening. Getting reassurance is never a waste of time.
thanks for you're input caroline, well done to your dad, im only just 40 and iv'e already got changes in my vision. you didn't say whether your dad is diabetic or not..? i'm due my screening sometime in the new year, it's always better to know whats going on. knowledge is power and all that.

Hi Annemarie, my eyes were fine until the Type 1 diagnosis. Initially things were fine, even in the hospital I could see perfectly well. Once It was only after I was home, a week or so later, that things got worse. I woke one morning and things looked blurred - I rubbed my eyes but there was no improvement. I was told that initially while the blood has so much sugar in them (I was 66.8) the vessels expand - some bleed some contract back once the sugars come under control. When the eye tries to repair itself new vessels grow back sometimes in the wrong places, it's these that they zap with the laser. I'm sure its an entierly different process to the laser vision correction that they advertise on telly. I believe that is where they make a laser inscision in the lens to alter the focus. Sorry if i'm going on a bit btw.

Hi Annemarie, my eyes were fine until the Type 1 diagnosis. Initially things were fine, even in the hospital I could see perfectly well. Once It was only after I was home, a week or so later, that things got worse. I woke one morning and things looked blurred - I rubbed my eyes but there was no improvement. I was told that initially while the blood has so much sugar in them (I was 66.8) the vessels expand - some bleed some contract back once the sugars come under control. When the eye tries to repair itself new vessels grow back sometimes in the wrong places, it's these that they zap with the laser. I'm sure its an entierly different process to the laser vision correction that they advertise on telly. I believe that is where they make a laser inscision in the lens to alter the focus. Sorry if i'm going on a bit btw.
thanks for that info alan221, yeah my eyesight was perfect while i was in hospital even my shortsightedness had gone!!! a while after i came home my eyesight went blurry and i have had to get glasses.

I have glasses now, but only for driving. The weird thing is that I have real difficulty with contrast. If two things of the same colour are placed on top of each other the one on top seems to disappear! I just can't see it. Maybe it's my age though.

I have glasses now, but only for driving. The weird thing is that I have real difficulty with contrast. If two things of the same colour are placed on top of each other the one on top seems to disappear! I just can't see it. Maybe it's my age though.
i have trouble focousing on things close like writing and things like that, so i have to take my glasses off to see them, but if in 3 foot away from the tv i cant see it properly!!! my shortsightedness has got alot worse. the optician told me i would have to have them lasered, but that they we're not bad enough yet.

Hi. This is my first post on this message board. I am 38 and was diagnosed with type 1 about 4 years ago. I went on the DAFNE course one year after diagnosis and i found it really useful. I still stick to the DAFNE way of doing things but if i am honest i have become a bit lazy recently. I still test at mealtimes and adjust for highs and lows but i sometimes find that it is after i have eaten. Also, i sometimes forget to test when i have had a snack. I also don't record my results anymore. My most recent HbA1c was 7.6 but this has steadily risen from 6.6 shortly after diagnosis. I am relatively healthy but i did put on some weight (about a stone) shortly after diagnosis. I do exercise but probably not enough and i eat some things that are not too good for you, especially crisps! I am about 15 stone now and 5' 10". I work hard and i do get stressed at times which i'm sure does not help with good control. I don't smoke.

Anyway, after that long introduction, the reason that i am posting here is that i received a letter yesterday. It was the results of my recent retinopathy scan. It says, 'The report showed that you have some background retinopathy. This means that here are slight changes to your retina. Background retinopathy does not need traetment and does not affect your sight, but you should make sure you go for screening each year'. Well, i was a bit shocked to say the least. Not the nicest birthday present!

My main question is regarding how many people are diagnosed with background retinopathy after a short time? I would have thought that if i were to get complications then it would take longer than this? Also, can the damage be reserved or will it always remain? Needless to say, my DAFNE diary has now come out, everything is being measured properly and i am making other changes to my lifestyle. I am due to visit my consultant in February and i am determined to get the HbA1c back nearer or even below 7.

Sorry for the long post but i would be interested to hear peoples comments, especially others who have had the same diagnosis.

Background retinopathy usually means you are prone to complications not allways but their is a higher probability, I would suggest going for good quality retinal photographs these will show the extent of any damage Ace Inhibitors if not already precribed should be as you need to lower blood pressure as far as possible not least as retinopthy can also signify kidney damage and you should also ask for that to be checked I need to be carefull as the site does not permit medical advice but you may want to look at avastin re eyes/retinopthy details are at www.loveyoureyes.org.uk.

Widster

I was diagnosed Type 2 in November 2007 and then in March 2008 at my annual optician's check found to have background retinopathy (wasn't spotted the previous year at my annual eye test). August led to the results of the diabetic retinopathy screening - letter said I had diabetic maculopathy and needed further tests. End of November had those tests at the eye hospital and finally found out that there was no significant clinical concern but I will need 6 monthly checks and to maintain tight blood control. Given that I also had a different visual anomaly I also saw a different clinical team at the eye hospital in December and was told that the changes I had were still at the reversible stage.

Realise that my story may be different to yours but I was extremely worried for a while and now whilst I remain concerned that I am susceptible to complications at least I can be proactive in managing the diet, keeping up the exercise and trying to lose weight

On another tack re blurred vision - my vision was better in my left eye when the hospital tested me in December than in November - the only thing I can put that down to is the variations in my blood glucose levels as November was post lunch when I only take metformin and December was first thing in the morning some while post breakfast (given travelling time) when I take both metformin and gliclazide

Vanessa

sight problems with age, with/out diabetes

Most people, whether or not they have diabetes, who are short sighted (have difficulty seeing things that are far away) from a young age find that in their 40s they begin to have problems seeing things that are closer to their faces. That's why they begin to remove glasses to read small print (obviously not so easy if wearing contact lenses), for example or hold a newpaper at arms lengths. When arms aren't long enough, they may reort to reading glasses or bifocals. So, monitoring lens prescription is another good reason for attending opticians annually - diabetic or eye clinic at hospital can do retinal screening, as can some opticians (either by examining retina with bright light, with or without dilating drops; or by taking digital photograph) but hopsital clinics are not so good for lens prescription.

Avoid 'swings'

My main question is regarding how many people are diagnosed with background retinopathy after a short time? I would have thought that if i were to get complications then it would take longer than this? Also, can the damage be reserved or will it always remain? Needless to say, my DAFNE diary has now come out, everything is being measured properly and i am making other changes to my lifestyle. I am due to visit my consultant in February and i am determined to get the HbA1c back nearer or even below 7.

Sorry for the long post but i would be interested to hear peoples comments, especially others who have had the same diagnosis.

Hi Widster – I have had retinopathy and with taking better care - stopped it in it's tracks - I was a rare case and the consultant had never seen anyone that had 'reversed' it! But it can be prevented by keeping your blood sugars as even as possible and avoiding swings. My consultant told me that retinopathy tends to be caused by swinging blood sugars (I know there are exceptions there is in every symptom with diabetes!) - which I have suffered from and when they do it again I know the condition does come back. I have had diabetes for 35 years - so different to you - but you may have had it for quite a bit longer than you were diagnosed - which may mean that you were more susceptible to it. Thing is you are doing the best thing - taking care of those bs levels again - so I am sure you too will halt it in it's tracks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back