replacement pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have now been told that my CCG are looking at the Medtrum patch pump which I think I'd really like as a replacement for my Roche Combo which being take off the market (although I can have one and they will support it for the next 4 years)
So - I went for another Combo, got in it January 2021 - and already have only been able to order 1 box of untubed cannulas and 1 box of tubed whereas I wanted to order 2 untubed and one tubed, to last me 2 months. As I need to change my cannula every 2 days this means I'll have to re-order every ruddy month for the next 3.5 years. NOT ideal.

I had that same thing back in the early summer @trophywench but last time I ordered they said “oh that’s over, you can order what you want now”. Anyway if my new pump comes through quickly I will send you anything left over of my stock.

I have now been told that my CCG are looking at the Medtrum patch pump which I think I'd really like as a replacement for my Roche Combo which being take off the market (although I can have one and they will support it for the next 4 years)

It's not entirely clear online how the Medtrum works when provided without the CGM. I asked about the cost of this if I fund and it seems to be similar to funding the Libre which I have to say I did for 2 years before the NHS funded me. (I know I am very lucky to be able to afford it, and was persuaded by a friend who made me look at what it meant financially versus health (compare smoking!)
What I meant to ask was, has anyone got experience of the Medtrum CGM system, I've searched but can't find anyone?

@helli uses the Medtrum, if I remember correctly @heasandford

@helli uses the Medtrum, if I remember correctly @heasandford
Thanks for the tag Inka.
I do use the Medtrum and like the size of the Nano pump and the phone app.
However, I do not have the CGM - despite the similarity in price with the Libre, my CCG will only fund Libre unless I was pregnant.

@heasandford I am happy to answer any questions about the pump.

Thanks for the tag Inka.
However, I do not have the CGM - despite the similarity in price with the Libre, my CCG will only fund Libre unless I was pregnant.

Thanks Helli, I'm hoping to get a demo example soon.

The only thing that puts me off is the insertion, and of course learning anything new, but I'm going to have to do this eventually with the Combo. I have liked it, although I've been having trouble with the meter and bluetooth connection to the pump, so I am interested in a different one.

Have you any issues with your, anything that would have put you off if you'd known about it beforehand?

Bluetooth connectivity between meter and pump with the Combo is normally down to either being too far away from each other, or I have found either replacing the meter batteries solves it - or just opening the back of the meter and rotating each of the batteries does, cos they last ages longer than the one in the pump. When you do remove the meter batteries, not a bad idea to 'tweak' the metal connections occasionally.

Bluetooth connectivity between meter and pump with the Combo is normally down to either being too far away from each other, or I have found either replacing the meter batteries solves it - or just opening the back of the meter and rotating each of the batteries does, cos they last ages longer than the one in the pump. When you do remove the meter batteries, not a bad idea to 'tweak' the metal connections occasionally.
I have done all this, and it doesn't immediately solve the problem, although the connection does reinstate after a while. Since this happened about 4 times in 3 weeks (always at inappropriate times!) they have sent me a replacement meter which at the moment is fine.
My Medtrum Demo Patch arrived today!
Thanks for the tag Inka.

Where do you site your pump? I believe I am a similar shape to you, not much fat anywhere! Does lower back mean upper bottom?? Should I message you privately for more details rather than taking over, or do you think others would be interested?

Where do you site your pump?
I usually site my pump at the front. Either below or above my waist.
I have placed it lower back (above my belt) but I seems to have less fat there and experienced occlusions.
I found upper bottom was a problem when carrying a bag and sitting.

Some people use their upper arm. I have not tried it.

I have placed it lower back (above my belt) but I seems to have less fat there and experienced occlusions.

Thanks, ok
Do you get irritating alarms ie at the end of a programme etc? (Sorry if I'm being irritating too!) I have been happy enough with my Roche pump and service, I'm just concerned that the technology has been superceded and it wont be able to be changed for the next 4 years

Thanks, ok
Do you get irritating alarms ie at the end of a programme etc? (Sorry if I'm being irritating too!) I have been happy enough with my Roche pump and service, I'm just concerned that the technology has been superceded and it wont be able to be changed for the next 4 years
The only alarm I get from my pump is if it has an error and it vibrates.
As the Medtrum is a patch pump, the cost is biased towards the patches so I was led to believe it is easier to swap if you don't like it. I was told to insure my previous (non-patch) pump for £3000 whereas the cost to replace (and insure) the Medtrum pump is only £300. Hence, less of a problem to swap.
And Medtrum upgrade the pump so you are not stuck with it for 4 years if they bring out a new version.

Thanks, ok
The only alarm I get from my pump is if it has an error and it vibrates.
As the Medtrum is a patch pump, the cost is biased towards the patches so I was led to believe it is easier to swap if you don't like it. I was told to insure my previous (non-patch) pump for £3000 whereas the cost to replace (and insure) the Medtrum pump is only £300. Hence, less of a problem to swap.
And Medtrum upgrade the pump so you are not stuck with it for 4 years if they bring out a new version.
Thanks. I'm still wondering whether it gives me anything the Roche doesn't. I seem to remember you use a Libre 2 and put in the results for the bolus calculator? Whereas with the Combo the meter results are used to deliver the insulin directly. (I'm not good at decisions these days!)

I'm still wondering whether it gives me anything the Roche doesn't. I seem to remember you use a Libre 2 and put in the results for the bolus calculator? Whereas with the Combo the meter results are used to deliver the insulin directly. (I'm not good at decisions these days!)
I am not familiar with the Roche (I had an Animas prior to the Medtrum).
I do have to manually enter my blood sugar into the Medtrum app but I had to do this with my previous pump and never found it onerous. I assume if you have the Medtrum CGM, you will not need to enter your blood sugars as the CGM uses the same app as the pump.

Rumours of a phone app for Tandem tSlim continue to circulate. Will be interesting to see what that offers when it eventually launches.
My understanding is that the tandem phone app is currently being trialled in Manchester ... but don't fancy the cost of moving LOL. Hope to get a t:slim in the new year ...

My understanding is that the tandem phone app is currently being trialled in Manchester ... but don't fancy the cost of moving LOL. Hope to get a t:slim in the new year ...
But it's still hidden under my clothes!! If they are all using phones or PDAs, why not the bluetooth?? I could say it's because they are designed by men....

But it's still hidden under my clothes!! If they are all using phones or PDAs, why not the bluetooth?? I could say it's because they are designed by men....
A few years back, I asked about having a phone app for my pump and was told there was some health and safety/security concerns which, at the time, the phone manufacturers were reluctant to take on. Apple did not want to be responsible for the wrong amount of insulin to be bolused, for example.
Given Medtrum have a phone app, I assume this has been overcome but some pump manufacturers may be a bit low in catching up.

Interestingly my diabetes consultant (that makes her sound very unapproachable which she is definitely not) who I had a video meeting with today, suggested that I hang on to my pump for a while. Clearly, things are happening!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back