Remind me - two hours after meals...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cookie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
...what would you expect your blood sugar to be at, 2 hours after meals?

It largely depends on what you ate, but the guidelines I was told, as a Type 2, were ...

1) Before meals (fasting) --> 4-7mmol/L
2) 2hrs after meals --> 7-9mmol/L
3) Avoid < 4mmol (hypo)
4) Avoid >10mmol/L (hyper)

Andy

Last edited:
I would expect it to be the same within 2 mmol of what it was before the meal unless you have added in a correction factor and I would expect it to be lower.

I would expect it to be the same within 2 mmol of what it was before the meal unless you have added in a correction factor and I would expect it to be lower.

Wow. I'd love that.

2 hours seems to be about my peak so I'd be happy with anything under 10mmol, dropping back to 4-7 before the next meal

I'm such a slacker 😱

Ooops! Sorry, didn't notice that you were Type 1.

I don't normally comment on Type 1 questions.

Andy 😱

Mee too........🙂

This is another beauty of the pump. I would never have been able to say that on MDI at all, we were all over the place on that and I would have been thankful for anything under about 20.0 quite frankly.

On a pump you can achieve this type of control. It takes a huge amount of work, more than on MDI so it is a lifestyle choice and not all people want this. For a parent it is different and we choose to have this extra work to get this good a control to set out kids up for a good future. Again this is a choice.

That is tight though.......pumps are brilliant............😎

I would love to be within 2mmol/l too! I usually go up to 11 or 12 and then drop back down. I've found with a couple of foods it shoots me up to the 17s/18s before dropping drastically back down. Not fun.

I would love to be within 2mmol/l too! I usually go up to 11 or 12 and then drop back down. I've found with a couple of foods it shoots me up to the 17s/18s before dropping drastically back down. Not fun.

Very similar to me.............I find that nine times out of ten I wont feel any different unless i go into the 20s, and my control is good, apart from the weekends............does anyone else feel his way?

Ooops! Sorry, didn't notice that you were Type 1.

I don't normally comment on Type 1 questions.

Andy 😱

No problem Andy. The targets are just the same!

M

Loving this thread! At the hospital I can never have a frank discussion about BS.

I'm very happy if my BS stay in single figures for a full day. Rarely happens though. And I'm actually happy to have one or two hypos to achieve this!

I think the guidelines are misleading - they make it seem as though these targets are easy to achieve. They are not. Particularly when you have work, housework, family, a social life... It's hard to focus on the BS as much as is needed in order to hit the targets.

Mike: every one of your posts I'm sitting thinking, "It's like he's in my head!"

Em

That is tight though.......pumps are brilliant............😎

These are the levels that I aim for and usually achieve, unless ive had something naughty! 🙄 I am on a pump though, on mdi i just could not achieve this.

This is what I aim for too :D

This is what I aim for too :D

Can you still achieve these reading on a pump even if you have relaxed attitude to food, ie high carbs etc, or do you need to be strict

I love this thread :D

You can spot the MDIs a mile off ! 🙄

I used to feel so embarrassed by my BS levels but I'm in such good company.🙂

Thank you all for making me feel 'normal' in my abnormality.

Ditto anything below about 12 post-meal.

Rob

hurrah! I was panicking about being at 12-15 after a meal, but then my dietician said the magic words "it's the next pre-meal reading that's important" as she crossed through the column for recording the post meal reading!

Feel much better already! Pre-meal readings usually pretty good (5-8) normally, and pre-breakfast usually about 6 so everything else is OK.

I love this thread :D
You can spot the MDIs a mile off ! 🙄

I have a pet theory that quite a bit of the improvement for pumpers comes from a renewed focus and lots of extra ('obsessive' as one pumper posted a while back) testing that comes with the whole pump education package.

Obviously the ability to get your basals spot on and inject in 1/40th unit increments can't hurt...

Us MDI luddites are just lazily poking away at our diabetes with the same old blunt stick :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back