Regular immodium use

Status
Not open for further replies.
I simply speak from my own experience.

As a "rank amateur" I seem to have had a modicum of success in putting into remission a "chronic progressive illness that means you'll end up on insulin" to quote the first "diabetes nurse" I ever met...
Yeah BUT you have to remember that was what the medical profession all believed in the past since that's what usually happened, hence those going into nurse or doctor training learnt these things from those who'd been treating people before the newer ones, so passed on what they knew. We had none of the modern drugs let alone people like Roy Taylor etc doing research. In any event those of us who remember the debacle of BG meters and strips being generally withdrawn from Type 2 patients largely because of a research paper which if you read from start to finish you thought Oh good so the conclusion will obviously be to keep prescribing meters - only to find it was the complete opposite.

Of course testing made some of the patients depressed for the simple reason they were absolutely banned from using their brains and on discovering eg their body apparently couldn't cope with that amount of carbohydrate at that time of day - they were told they must not reduce the amount. Hence those who did think this, or any other such thing, got utterly fed up with keep bodging their fingers for no apparent reason, well, so would I have!

So all I'm saying is, not all research is to be 100% trusted even when it's signed off by those you'd think you'd be able to trust with such a thing.

hence those going into nurse or doctor training learnt these things from those who'd been treating people before the newer ones, so passed on what they knew.
Precisely why everyone with T2 should do some research and listen to people who have put T2 into remission surely..
We had none of the modern drugs let alone people like Roy Taylor etc doing research.
I don't use any drugs and have never followed Taylors protocol either..
Instead I used Bantings letter from 1867.. Atkins and low carb.
Read up on ketosis too and the benefits of intermittent fasting.
So all I'm saying is, not all research is to be 100% trusted even when it's signed off by those you'd think you'd be able to trust with such a thing.
Agree 100% that was the point I was trying to make.

I have my diabetes (much like you have yours).
The only person can really understand it is me and the only person to whom it's really important is me.

It is but I don't want to do anything unwise
I was pressed to start to take tablets again, but after giving a list of all the things I would have to stop doing if I experienced the same consequences a second time, it was accepted that I really wanted the better option of having a life rather than taking the tablets.

Most diarrhoea tablets are a short term solution because they don’t actually solve the problem, they just hold it back a bit.

Can you ask for an alternative to metformin? There are other tablets out there. I have Crohn’s so metformin wasn’t the first choice for me, although my docs want me to start it now but that’s another story.

If I have a flare up, I’m always advised to stay away from Imodium and the like because they interfere with the natural order of your intestines and bowel too much. Low carb has been the best thing I’ve ever done for my Crohn’s and the diabetes 🙂

Most diarrhoea tablets are a short term solution because they don’t actually solve the problem, they just hold it back a bit.

Can you ask for an alternative to metformin? There are other tablets out there. I have Crohn’s so metformin wasn’t the first choice for me, although my docs want me to start it now but that’s another story.

If I have a flare up, I’m always advised to stay away from Imodium and the like because they interfere with the natural order of your intestines and bowel too much. Low carb has been the best thing I’ve ever done for my Crohn’s and the diabetes 🙂

I am on saxagliptin and 2 x 500 metformin

I have asked about something else instead of the metformin but I think I get fobbed off

It annoys me to be honest

If anyone has any suggestions feel free

How low carb have you gone taffy? Maybe a diet change is somewhat to do with the tummy troubles. Gut microbiome can be really reactive. An increase or decrease in major food types can deplete some essential gut bacteria. Organic goats milk kefir (from a farm not the supermarket) is the best thing I’ve found to rebalance my tummy, but if you do try it, don’t let the bubbly champagne experience on opening fool you ….. it tastes like fizzy Parmesan cheese !

I am on saxagliptin and 2 x 500 metformin

I have asked about something else instead of the metformin but I think I get fobbed off

It annoys me to be honest

If anyone has any suggestions feel free

How frustrating for you @Taffyboyslim

Good that you are keeping in contact with your Drs, and keen to chat through any potential strategies with them.

Frustrating that you feel ‘fobbed off’ with some the suggestions / options you have asked about. :(

Great that the meds have helped so much with your HbA1c. I can see why you are keen to retain that benefit.

How sure are you that it is the Metformin that is the cause? Saxagliptin also has the potential to cause tummy upset (https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/saxagliptin/side-effects-of-saxagliptin/)

Additionally, in your shoes I’d be interested to know whether it was one, the other, or the combination of meds that was having the positive effect.

But it does sound like a slight re-balancing of doses would be helpful to you.

How low carb have you gone taffy? Maybe a diet change is somewhat to do with the tummy troubles. Gut microbiome can be really reactive. An increase or decrease in major food types can deplete some essential gut bacteria. Organic goats milk kefir (from a farm not the supermarket) is the best thing I’ve found to rebalance my tummy, but if you do try it, don’t let the bubbly champagne experience on opening fool you ….. it tastes like fizzy Parmesan cheese !
Good god that sounds horrendous

How frustrating for you @Taffyboyslim

Good that you are keeping in contact with your Drs, and keen to chat through any potential strategies with them.

Frustrating that you feel ‘fobbed off’ with some the suggestions / options you have asked about. :(

Great that the meds have helped so much with your HbA1c. I can see why you are keen to retain that benefit.

How sure are you that it is the Metformin that is the cause? Saxagliptin also has the potential to cause tummy upset (https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/saxagliptin/side-effects-of-saxagliptin/)

Additionally, in your shoes I’d be interested to know whether it was one, the other, or the combination of meds that was having the positive effect.

But it does sound like a slight re-balancing of doses would be helpful to you.

It's a real scales of justice , one step forward two back kind of deal this thing isn't it ?

It's a real scales of justice , one step forward two back kind of deal this thing isn't it ?

Well, the human body is a very complex and complicated thing. And one approach won’t work for everyone - so you have to find the thing, or combination of things, that seems to be effective for you at the moment, and then rethink and re-evaluate as and when that seems to change.

There are no easy answers, or one-size-fits-all magic bullets… but you can definitely find the right mix of options for you.

If it were me, I'd be inclined to stop the Metformin for a couple of days to see if that clears up the symptoms. If things improve then try just 1 x 500mg for a couple of weeks, experimenting with the time you take it if necessary, but always with a meal. If you can tolerate that then move back to two tablets & see how things go.

But if the issues return as soon as you restart it, you'll just have to be more persistent with your surgery to try an alternative.

If it were me, I'd be inclined to stop the Metformin for a couple of days to see if that clears up the symptoms. If things improve then try just 1 x 500mg for a couple of weeks, experimenting with the time you take it if necessary, but always with a meal. If you can tolerate that then move back to two tablets & see how things go.

But if the issues return as soon as you restart it, you'll just have to be more persistent with your surgery to try an alternative.

I am going to try that , together with the saxagliptin....which is 5 mg

I will tell the doctors via the receptionists and if they need to get back to me they can ?

Well, the human body is a very complex and complicated thing. And one approach won’t work for everyone - so you have to find the thing, or combination of things, that seems to be effective for you at the moment, and then rethink and re-evaluate as and when that seems to change.

There are no easy answers, or one-size-fits-all magic bullets… but you can definitely find the right mix of options for you.

Complex lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back