Reducing carbs whilst taking Empaflagozin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Teather

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I embarked on a low carb regime which for me is 《30g per day.
This will increase the ketone which will burn the body fat as an energy source. My body fat was 68.9% now its down to 48.1%. It was 45 but I hit the carbs again.
It is advised that reducing carbs is not a good thing when taking Empaflagozin which is one of the new SGLT2 inhibitors because these can increase the level of ketones in the body.

As soon as I mentioned I wanted to stop my SGLT2 to my nurse she went into a tailspin about ketoneacidosis. Two different things but lumped together.
She said she would seek advice from the Dr 3 weeks ago but that I should continue on the Empaflagozin and carbs for now. My body fat gas gone up 3% and my numbers up to about 57 if my theory is correct.

Anyone know of any forum sections that cover this topic please?
Alan.

Hi @Alan Teather , and welcome to the forum. If you put Empagliflozin (that's the correct spelling) or Jardiance, which is it’s brand name, into the search box at the top right, you should find plenty of references come up. I think the main thing to worry about with low carbs while on Empagliflozin is that if you have high ketones, there is a possibility of Diabetic Ketoacidosis at lower Blood glucose levels than you'd expect.
I think @Lucyr may have had problems with it.

Hi. Yes empagliflozin isn’t suitable if on a low carb diet because there is a risk of DKA at normal blood sugars when taking empagliflozin. Low carb diets cause ketones so you wouldn’t know if you had normal ketones or DKA ketones.

I don’t follow a low carb diet and developed DKA within a week of trying empagliflozin. I have ketone strips at home, was monitoring my ketones, and am well aware of the signs of DKA which is how I noticed and stopped the tablets before the DKA developed too severely. Symptoms were 5kg weight loss in 5 days, peeing a lot, nausea/vomiting, high ketones, feeling lethargic, but all with bgs under 10.

That’s scary @Lucyr and a good illustration of how quickly DKA can sneak up on you. The fact you had normal blood sugars is quite shocking and a warning to others.

I've been on empagliflozin for 3 years now and no side effects. I need to get some keto test sticks and test a lot more now I am on a low carb diet.

That’s scary @Lucyr and a good illustration of how quickly DKA can sneak up on you. The fact you had normal blood sugars is quite shocking and a warning to others.
Yes, I didn’t know what to do about ketones with normal bgs, all the sick day rules are about taking more insulin when you have ketones, and going to a&e if high bgs and ketones, but my bgs were okay so I was a bit lost. Saw a pharmacist and doctor and stopped the pills and drank a lot of rehydration drinks and was okay once they’d worn off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back