Recently started insulin - blood glucose still high

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acomblad1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Moderator note: These posts from the ‘waking average’ thread were split away so that they are easier to follow, and don’t get lost 🙂

Is that a one of?. Don't hear yourself up about a one of 16(I have to tell myself this sometimes too) alot of things can effect blood sugar and we can't get it right all the time. If it's not a one of you can look at things which might be effecting and try makes changes that may help still don't beat yourself up though it's all a learning curve
Just checked my b/s @ 30. This isn't unusual, diabetic team Just advised injecting insulin (14 dose) been injecting over last 4 days but isn't reducing my Blood sugars.I was admitted to hospital last week for 2 nights as my keytones were high.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just checked my b/s @ 30. This isn't unusual, diabetic team Just advised injecting insulin (14 dose) been injecting over last 4 days but isn't reducing my Blood sugars.I was admitted to hospital last week for 2 nights as my keytones were high.
Can I just ask how you were Diagnosed as type 2(it's says type 2 in your profile) did have any blood tests to rule out type 1 some type 1s are at first misdiagnosied as type 2 at first because unfortunately not all doctors are informed enough.

This is not a good blood glucose level to be, 30 is very high. I hope you have a means at home to check for ketones and if high as well as your blood glucose you need to seek urgent medical help RING 111.
What insulin do you have, when are you injecting.
I assume you are checking by finger pricking at this stage.

This is not a good blood glucose level to be, 30 is very high. I hope you have a means at home to check for ketones and if high as well as your blood glucose you need to seek urgent medical help RING 111.
Hi, I will check keytones after my evening meal if bloods still too high.I have just started injecting (4 days ago) in the morning. Cheers Keith

Hi, I've been injecting over the last 4 days in the morning. Cheers Keith

What insulin are you on @Acomblad1 ? How long have you been diabetic? Your symptoms seem more like T1 than T2. Usually T2 do not have ketones.
I've been given a pen type insulin injector.I didn't know there was different types of insulin.
I was diagnosed with pre diabetes so I lost 8st to avoid having diabetes over the last 18 months but failed and was diagnosed with Type 2 Nov.
I ended up in hospital last week after having 3.3 keytones at GP's

Hi, I will check keytones after my evening meal if bloods still too high.I have just started injecting (4 days ago) in the morning. Cheers Keith
Can you explain how you came to be diagnosed and what tests you have had done.
I hope you are going to have a follow up in the next couple of days as the insulin regime you have does not seem as if it is suitable.

Have you been given any dietary advice?

I've been given a pen type insulin injector.I didn't know there was different types of insulin.
I was diagnosed with pre diabetes so I lost 8st to avoid having diabetes over the last 18 months but failed and was diagnosed with Type 2 Nov.
I ended up in hospital last week after having 3.3 keytones at GP's
There are different insulins as some are slow acting (basal insulin) which deals with the glucose released by the liver and keeps your blood glucose steady in the absence of food which is usually injected once or twice per day. There is also fast acting insulin (bolus insulin) which is injected with meals which deals with the carbohydrates you are eating.
Do you know what tests were done by your GP?
Did you loose the weight easily or did you have to struggle. What dietary measures did you take.
Were you taking any other diabetic medication or have you just been put straight onto insulin. The name of the insulin should be on the pen as that is important so people can make suggestions to keep you safe.
Sorry for all the questions but we are worried that your blood glucose is so high.

There are different insulins as some are slow acting (basal insulin) which deals with the glucose released by the liver and keeps your blood glucose steady in the absence of food which is usually injected once or twice per day. There is also fast acting insulin (bolus insulin) which is injected with meals which deals with the carbohydrates you are eating.
Do you know what tests were done by your GP?
Did you loose the weight easily or did you have to struggle. What dietary measures did you take.
Were you taking any other diabetic medication or have you just been put straight onto insulin. The name of the insulin should be on the pen as that is important so people can make suggestions to keep you safe.
Sorry for all the questions but we are worried that your blood glucose is so high.
I have Isophane insulin which I have been told to inject daily.This is in addition to the diabetic drugs- Metformin and Glicgzide.
Diet took a year mainly helped by becoming tea total.

I had blood tests and a HBA1C test.
Just wondering what blood tests I can't quite remember what the test is check for type 1 is called but trying to feather if you have had it. an hba1c isn't going to tell which type you have though can you ask your doctors If they have done a test for type 1?

The two tests which would be done to check for Type 1 are c-peptide and GAD antibodies.
@Acomblad1 I would suggest you ask for those tests if your blood glucose is continuing to remain high.
I think you should be asking for a different insulin regime which would allow you to have bolus insulin for meals.
If you are indeed Type 1 then the oral medications may not be doing an awful lot.
It is not unusual for people to be misdiagnosed.

The two tests which would be done to check for Type 1 are c-peptide and GAD antibodies.
Are yeah that was it I did know one of them before but just couldn't remember.

I don't know what tests were that ascertained that I was suffering with Type 2.
Symptoms-rang my doctor after drinking copious amounts of water one evening. So thirsty!
It is often assumed that people are type 2 because of their age and only when they do not respond to the normal array of Type 2 medications that is Type 1 or LADA considered.
The fact you have suddenly have symptoms and very high blood glucose is something that sends a red flag for not Type 2 as there are no specific tests for Type 2 but there are for Type 1.
A friend was diagnosed as Type 1 after 2 years of medication not working and continued weight loss at the age of late 70ies.

Symptoms-rang my doctor after drinking copious amounts of water one evening. So thirsty!
As said above usually it's type 1 symptoms that appear suddenly ask your doctors to do the tests for type 1 mettoned epasilly with you getting ketones while it is possible for type 2 to get them it's known to more of a type 1 thing.

@Acomblad1 it sounds as if you are on an intermediate background insulin. Humulin I perhaps. It's often added to meds such as Gliclazide and Metformin for T2s. However if your bloods are stubbornly remaining in the 30s then you need to have a different regime that controls it better. It is dangerous to run at the levels you are seeing. I suggest you ask to see the GP again urgently, or better still ring 111. As everyone has said, you have possibly been misdiagnosed as T2 and need to be on a proper insulin regime.

I wonder if Admin would consider splitting your messages off into a new thread since this thread is more or less a social one and your posts would attract more attention in a separate thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back