Recent Changes to Humalog Insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an urgent matter and you need to make the seriousness of the situation clear to whoever you speak to either on the phone or camping out on the doorstep until somebody pays attention.
Can you give us a bit more detail about what you were on before? I don’t think Humalog has changed, but they do several different types of insulin, a straightforward fast acting, the 25/75 mix, and a 50/50 mix. It sounds as if you might have been prescribed a different one from your usual, and I'm wondering if this was a deliberate change to your prescription, in which case it should have been discussed with you first, with advice on dosing, or it’s a prescribing mistake, or a dispensing mistake. I think you need to speak to your team as a matter of urgency.
This is an urgent matter and you need to make the seriousness of the situation clear to whoever you speak to either on the phone or camping out on the doorstep until somebody pays attention.
Well Lloyds Pharmacy issued wrong insuin. Neither local pharmacy or Head Office seems to understand implication. Lloyds Pharmacy called me to say they couldn’t identify who issued wrong prescription. GP Surgery said they had a notification of 999 call, but obviously not bothered to follow up. So the simple solution is don’t worry about patient, better dead than clog up the NHS

Shocking response! Perhaps you should email Lloyds head office?

Pharmacies are regulated by the General Pharmaceutical Council who may have a way of flagging your experiences?

Lloyds Pharmacy called me to say they couldn’t identify who issued wrong prescription.
That's sloppy. They should at least know who the pharmacist on duty was (unless it's a big pharmacy, I guess) and I assume they should keep records of who dispensed what.
GP Surgery said they had a notification of 999 call, but obviously not bothered to follow up.
I find that a bit less surprising. I'd hope my GP would ask what happened next time I saw them but I think I wouldn't expect a phone call before then.
So the simple solution is don’t worry about patient, better dead than clog up the NHS
The lesson is that mistakes happen. Uncommonly (I can't remember ever being given the wrong insulin; I was once given insulin I wasn't expecting (I think Levemir rather than the Novorapid I requested) but that was the GPs mistake not the pharmacy) but they do. So always check! And at least in Boots the insulin's generally in clear plastic bags so I can see what it is.

There obviously was something seriously wrong with their protocols for checking the dispensing of their prescriptions.
My understanding is that whenever a medicine is dispensed it has to be checked by a second person.
You should make a formal complaint as was happened was life threatening.

There obviously was something seriously wrong with their protocols for checking the dispensing of their prescriptions.
My understanding is that whenever a medicine is dispensed it has to be checked by a second person.
You should make a formal complaint as was happened was life threatening.
Insulin prescriptions are checked by three people: two pharmacists and then the patient. Insulin is given in clear plastic so you can check before leaving that it is correct. I’ve had the two pharmacists not notice a mistake a few times now. But the third check always means I notice and it’s rectified.

Insulin prescriptions are checked by three people: two pharmacists and then the patient. Insulin is given in clear plastic so you can check before leaving that it is correct. I’ve had the two pharmacists not notice a mistake a few times now. But the third check always means I notice and it’s rectified.

Mine always comes in a sealed / stapled paper bag. Mostly I can read through the paper enough to see it’s NR.

Having it in a clear bag sounds much easier!

Mine always comes in a sealed / stapled paper bag. Mostly I can read through the paper enough to see it’s NR.

Having it in a clear bag sounds much easier!
All mine are paper bags. But i always order when I have a couple of months insulin in hand so if they gave the wrong stuff plenty of time to sort out. My first px i got a single pen, not a box 5, prescribed but boots queried and sorted out with doctor ( i didn't know it wss odd but they did and glad they did cos was just before xmas) they also phoned to check i had no problems with injecting but i was ok (watched some videos on here as i remember)
Its shocking lloyds don't seem bothered.

I'm glad you got your Humalog sorted out @StuartB, the lesson seems clear 'don't trust other people with your medicine.' Check your meds at the pharmacy counter when your prescription is issued, resolve problems there and then, they can ring your G.P. if necessary for clarification.

The pass the blame game does not help or inspire confidence. I'm glad your OK.

Well Lloyds Pharmacy issued wrong insuin. Neither local pharmacy or Head Office seems to understand implication. Lloyds Pharmacy called me to say they couldn’t identify who issued wrong prescription. GP Surgery said they had a notification of 999 call, but obviously not bothered to follow up. So the simple solution is don’t worry about patient, better dead than clog up the NHS

On my prescriptions, two people initial them on the label. Surely they must be able to find out more? It sounds like they’re brushing you off and hoping you’ll go away. Do complain - not only because of your dreadful experience but in order that they tighten up their procedures and training so that this doesn’t happen to anyone else.

I also suggest you use a different pharmacy if you can, and always check the insulin before you leave. Even when mine was in a stapled brown paper bag, they used to open it, ask me to check the insulin and say “Is this what you were expecting?” Prior to that, I used to open it myself while still in the shop so I could check and make sure everything was correct and there.

An official complaint is the way forward, I think - and to the people Mike mentioned above not just Lloyds, who’ve clearly shown they don’t care.

How odd as their intitles are on the individual prescription.
You need to take this further as it seems as if the pharmacy has not respect or even concept of what they have done i.e., nearly killed you.
So do take it further. Is there a scheme like the yellow card where you can report what has happened?

I’ve been given the wrong test strips on several occasions, and once they gave me everything on the repeat list even though I’d only ticked two items! So now I always open the bag and check it in front of them, then if anything is wrong I can give it straight back and they can use it for someone else. Once you leave the building they can’t take it back, they have to dispose of it (I guess because they have no proof that you haven’t tampered with it somehow). Insulin always comes in a clear plastic bag and they always ask me if it’s the right one.

My hubby has a repeat prescription for some pills which usually is no problem but on one occasion they dispensed some that were double the dose. Luckily I checked and realised the mistake, in the case of that medication it probably wouldn’t have been a disaster if I hadn’t noticed, but the person I gave them back to was quite horrified and said there would be “an inquiry”. That’s more the sort of reaction you should get, especially as the mistake could have had lethal consequences.

No longer pick prescriptions up as pharmacy delivers them, comes in paper bag with top stapled together, only ever once been given wrong insulin so always best checking before using.

Same as many here with a clear bag and asked to check it is what I am expecting before leaving (boots).

I would 100% escalate further. Not to be nasty about it and get someone into bother but to remind people that messing this up can put peoples life at risk and to do better.

I asked my GP if I can switch from disposable pens to reusable pen and cartridges and they refused and I was told to speak to my DSN (even though I am technically not switching insulins).
Even my GPs wont mess with my insulins.

Answers and the right insulin. @StuartB , this needs sorting out today:

- Humalog has not changed - somebody has given you the wrong insulin, resulting in you having a serious hypo needing paramedics and risking coma and worse…

- you need to get the correct insulin asap ie today - this is urgent
Well, local Lloyds Pharmacy issued wrong insulin. Many hours on phone, GP not interested, local Lloyds Pharmacy can’t identify who issued wrong prescription, still haven’t informed GP, Lloyds Head Office investigating, though their primary concern seems to be “were you admitted to hospital?”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back