• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

real porridge V instant

Donald

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I would to ask if there is any difference between real oatmeal porridge made in pan and instant made in mircowave apart from time. As I like both just your thoughts to see if here is difference between them.

Donald

Hi I would to ask if there is any difference between real oatmeal porridge made in pan and instant made in mircowave apart from time. As I like both just your thoughts to see if here is difference between them.

Donald

Hi Donald, there is a difference - the 'instant' stuff is more refined and gets digested more quickly than the 'real' stuff, so the real stuff is better for keeping a slow release of energy. However, I've found that the instant stuff doesn't really make much difference with me, but everyone's different! The real stuff is also a lot cheaper!

Mornflakes and other breakfasts

There is a "middle way" in porridge! - Mornflakes, which need only 1 minute boiling, come in 500g / 1.10lb tins with reseable plastic lids, with instructions in 8 languages! Popular on expeditions, where the amount of stove fuel required to cook food is an important consideration, when you're carrying food, fuel, tents, scientific equipment etc, and when stuck in a tent due to days of poor weather, learning how to cook in Spanish, Malayan, Portuguese etc is an added bonus! Still using a tin well past its expiry date (several undamaged tins extracted from a skip around 2004!) Mornflakes are real flakes of oats, so I assume the effect on blood sugar is more like traditional porridge oats than microwave packs, which often have sugar and / or flavours added. Personally, when camping, I carry pre-mix muesli with milk powder, so that I can add either hot or cold water, depending on time and fuel available at breakfast. At home, Mornflakes are fine, but I have't had any other types of porridge foe ages, so I can't comment on effects on blood sugar, but it's different for everyone, anyway.

Wh:(atever I have, instant or cook the old fashioned way, I stilll need to chop up some fruit or throw in a handfull of sultanas and/or raisins which does make a difference.

Wh:(atever I have, instant or cook the old fashioned way, I stilll need to chop up some fruit or throw in a handfull of sultanas and/or raisins which does make a difference.

When I was diagnosed the dietician at the hospital told me I couldn't have honey on mine any more. I went through a period initially of having granulated sweetener on it, but then went back to a spoonful of honey - hasn't made a ha'porth of difference to me, so I guess I'm just lucky in that respect.

i find the instant makes my blood sugar go high - i eat Flahavans Jumbo flakes, its not processed at all,just natural, and its ok. i add half a teaspoon of honey and use low fat milk.

Yes northerner oatmeal is cheaper and seems to go farther.Ok cheers I will try both to see. thanks for replys

Donald

porridge - washing up - practical issues

Key point with real porridge is to remember to put some water into the pan to soak as well as the bowl, when you've finished with them, assuming you can't wash up until the evening. Perhaps not such an issue for people with dishwashing machines, but we manage with just 1 bowl of washing up per day for 3 adults.

Microwave porridge is more expensive to buy, but only causes a bowl to wash up, not a saucepan as well. But real porridge or Mornflakes tastes better, I reckon.

i leave my real oats soak over night in the fridge in a bowl of milk - then in the morning pop in the microwave.you don't have to make the real oats in a saucepan - a microwave will do aswell.

Thanks Lo, that tip might increase my porridge intake over the next few days, but I'd better not finish the tin before my partner gets back next week - he's had a tough season, made more frustrating by lack of fish or enough cheese for sandwiches at a certain distant location.

Thanks Lo, that tip might increase my porridge intake over the next few days, but I'd better not finish the tin before my partner gets back next week - he's had a tough season, made more frustrating by lack of fish or enough cheese for sandwiches at a certain distant location.

Fish and cheese sandwiches...mmmm!! That's some combination!:D

Regarding porridge, I would personally go with the instant stuff in induvidual portion sachets. I say this because I reckon that it would be easier (?) to count carbs present in each portion.

Tom H

Back to porridge after this!

Not trying to deflect this thread from the important issue of porridge, but to answer Northerner's query - they wanted either fish or cheese (not both) in sandwiches, but the only available fillings were cooked sausages!

There are differences between 'real' porridge and the packet suff. It is often considered any porridge not made in a pan on the stove is like gruel. More importantly, the cost to buy the porridge in a sachets is between six and ten times that of a box or bag of porridge oats.

In answer to Toms point about knowing the carbs in a pack, well you need to add the milk (if used) to the equation and a pair of scales can be picked up cheaply and the return on investment can be in just a few boxes of sachet porridge.

Now, cheese and tuna sanwiches are something else, to some an acquired taste, to me devine!

David

There are differences between 'real' porridge and the packet suff. It is often considered any porridge not made in a pan on the stove is like gruel. More importantly, the cost to buy the porridge in a sachets is between six and ten times that of a box or bag of porridge oats.

Now, cheese and tuna sanwiches are something else, to some an acquired taste, to me devine!

David

Who is it that considers microwave porridge is "like gruel"? I haven't heard that before.

I agree with you on the cheese and tuna sandwiches, they are lovely. But I also like sausages so I will have to sit on the fence here. I won't even begin on the 'ketchup or brown sauce' debate in a bacon/sausage sandwich! My boyfriend and I have agreed to differ on that.

I use ordinary porridge oats (25g) and water (125g) with a small amount of salt and cook my porridge in the microwave each morning. (With our new micro it takes 1 minute at full power and 1 min 30 sec at 50% power and is pefectly cooked.) I find if I weigh my breakfast, the rest of the day seems to be more balanced on the whole.

sorry everyone but i hate all forms of porridge but my partner loves it and so do my kids eeewwwwwww. they all say that instant is ok but you cant beat proper porridge. i for one will never try it so can say yay or nay but if i go on what they say to me it is proper with oats lol.

Real oats (as rough as poss ) 1 measure of oats, two of water bout 2.5 min in 750W microwave on full.

I have used the "soak overnight and cook on hob" method for years and really find neither texture nor flavour difference in the microwave method.
The shorter the cooking time, the less creamy it is.

I have mine with peaches and pears, companion has hers with walnuts.

Perhaps I need a little protein and shall give this a go next week.

Back