Re today's emails with DSN

Status
Not open for further replies.
4/8/21 - pre breakfast 9:25am
Screenshot_20210804-093154_mySugr.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for another great reply. Your daughter sounds like me with the high carb diet.
LOL I make her sound like she has a terrible diet, well at school it’s all bread stuff (healthier food is available but she won’t touch it) but at home it’s better. Her favourite meal is Sunday roast, that’s not so bad as long as you don’t go crazy with the potatoes, and I often do stew-type meals with green veg (she will eat some) and no potatoes or rice at all. She does love her puddings though! Ever since she was small (and not yet diabetic) as far as she is concerned a meal isn’t complete until you’ve had pudding, and a bowl of strawberries just won’t cut it!
Hubby and I are getting very bored with broccoli, carrots, peas and green beans though, have to have at least one of those all the time just to make sure she will eat something healthy!

4/8/21 - pre lunch 13:45pmScreenshot_20210804-134551_mySugr.jpg
Insulin (correction) 0.5 units - I don't know how this is worked out - I'm on 1u:3mmol
Insulin (food) 6.0 units - 61g of carbs on a 1:10 ratio = 61 ÷ 10 = 6.1

Middle of your target range = 6.5
7.4-6.5= 0.9, at a ratio of 1:3 you need 0.3 correction, but can’t do that with a pen
61 carbs at 1:10 = 6.1 units which has been rounded down to 6 so I guess the correction got rounded up
6.1 + 0.3 = 6.4 units, you have been given 6.5 which is the closest you can do with your pen

Last edited:
7.4-6.5= 0.9, at a ratio of 1:3 you need 0.3 correction, but can’t do that with a pen
61 carbs at 1:10 = 6.1 units which has been rounded down to 6 so I guess the correction got rounded up
6.1 + 0.3 = 6.4 units, you have been given 6.5 which is the closest you can do with your pen
Thank you @Sally71

4/8/21 - pre breakfast 9:25am
Screenshot_20210804-093154_mySugr.jpg
Have I worked the pre breakfast one out correctly?

8.6-6.5=2.1 at a ratio of 1:3 would be 0.7
36 carbs at 1:8 = 4.5 units
4.5 + 0.7 = 5.2 units

Spot on Gill.
As an ex teacher I would give you full marks for showing your working.
you have definitely got your head round things.

Spot on Gill.
As an ex teacher I would give you full marks for showing your working.
you have definitely got your head round things.
@SB2015 please can I have a smiley face sticker? Joking aside thank you! You've probably seen in some of my other threads that I like to get my head round some of these calculations such as the MySugr calculations, insulin to carb ratios and correction ratios and my thinking also is that if my bolus calculator app or phone ever go wrong at least I could try to work things out.
Did you teach infant, primary or high school pupils and what did you teach?

I taught Maths!!! It was at a secondary school, and loved it.

I taught Maths!!! It was at a secondary school, and loved it.
You can be my maths teacher then! There's another member @Sally71 who is very good at explaining maths in a simple way for me. I work in a nursery/primary school and as some of the children say to their parents "that's my teacher" but I'm not I'm their dinner lady - I supervise in the dinner hall and playground.

Yes spot on with your maths, have a housepoint 🙂
Kids are funny aren’t they, always call you teacher when you aren’t, and think you don’t have any life outside school - the ones at my school sound amazed if they saw me in the supermarket or walking down the street :D
Once I was quietly doing my shopping when I heard a loud “Hello Mrs ————“ and looked round to see a (slightly annoying) girl from my school. I politely said hello to her and then carried on my way. Unfortunately she and her parents were walking the opposite way along the aisles from me so I kept meeting them again in every aisle and was rewarded every time with the child shouting loudly and waving. After the first time I tried to ignore her, her parents eventually started to look a bit fed up too :D

4/8/21 - pre tea 19:12pmScreenshot_20210804-191259_mySugr.jpg

8.0 - 6.5 = 1.5 ÷ 3 = 0.5
110 carbs at 1:10 = 11 units
11 + 0.5 = 11.5

Yes spot on with your maths, have a housepoint 🙂
Kids are funny aren’t they, always call you teacher when you aren’t, and think you don’t have any life outside school - the ones at my school sound amazed if they saw me in the supermarket or walking down the street :D
Once I was quietly doing my shopping when I heard a loud “Hello Mrs ————“ and looked round to see a (slightly annoying) girl from my school. I politely said hello to her and then carried on my way. Unfortunately she and her parents were walking the opposite way along the aisles from me so I kept meeting them again in every aisle and was rewarded every time with the child shouting loudly and waving. After the first time I tried to ignore her, her parents eventually started to look a bit fed up too :D
Thank you for my housepoint 🙂
Yes kids are funny and like you say they think you don't have a life outside school. I like that about you trip round the supermarket :D everyone in the store knows you are Mrs? and I know exactly what you mean about the 'slightly annoying' girl - we have some too but not very annoying just 'slightly' :D

Last edited:
Every adult that they come across in school will be teaching them, whether it is by the way they speak to them, their actions, a smile, …. Everyone contributes to each child’s development and each person is a crucial cog in the wheel.

4/8/21 - pre bed 23:00pm
Screenshot_20210804-230246_mySugr.jpg
6.0-6.5 = -0.5 ÷ 3 = 0.16666......
16 carbs at 1:10 = 1.6
I think I've worked that one out ok

5/8/21 - waking 6.34am
Screenshot_20210805-063421_mySugr.jpg

5/8/21 - pre breakfast 10.00am
Screenshot_20210805-100027_mySugr.jpg
Boo hoo this is the first below target (5-8mmol) one I've had since going with MySugr correction advice instead of DSN's advice of only correcting over 10mmol

If anyone can work out the sum for me like @Sally71 did here I would be grateful - correction ratio is 1:3 and my i:c ratio for breakfast is 1:8

It’s the same calculation
4.6 - 6.5 = -1.9 negative because obviously you need to reduce the bolus rather than add to it
With ratio of 1:3 you divide the difference by 3 to get how many units you need to decrease your dose by, so -1.9 divided by 3 = -0.63333333 recurring
Can’t do that with a pen so it’s rounded it to -0.5
Food works out the same, 36 divided by 8 = 4.5
Total bolus 4.5-0.5=4 units to be taken

It’s the same calculation
4.6 - 6.5 = -1.9 negative because obviously you need to reduce the bolus rather than add to it
With ratio of 1:3 you divide the difference by 3 to get how many units you need to decrease your dose by, so -1.9 divided by 3 = -0.63333333 recurring
Can’t do that with a pen so it’s rounded it to -0.5
Food works out the same, 36 divided by 8 = 4.5
Total bolus 4.5-0.5=4 units to be taken
Thanks @Sally71

4/8/21 - pre bed 23:00pm
View attachment 18202
6.0-6.5 = -0.5 ÷ 3 = 0.16666......
16 carbs at 1:10 = 1.6
I think I've worked that one out ok
So I didn't finish this negative correction off so here it is
1.6 rounded to 1.5 - 0.1 = 1.4 so rounded to 1.5 units to be taken

So I didn't finish this negative correction off so here it is
1.6 rounded to 1.5 - 0.1 = 1.4 so rounded to 1.5 units to be taken
Gill, you are getting too keen!! 😉 Why would you calculate a correction much less inject one when you are in range? You don't need a correction unless you are not in range and 6 is between 5 and 8 last time I checked. OK you might have a bedtime snack to bring your levels up a bit but correcting to 6.5 is just confusing in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back