Re post by gail 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

casey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, this is only my second post since joining the forum weeks ago. I have been reading everyones posts but not contributing because i was scared. Then i read your, post gail 1, where you mentioned that you are on medication for bi polar and borderline personality disorder. The reason i have not been posting is because i too suffer with mental health problems and i was afraid everyone would think i was a freak and would not want me as a member. I am diagnosed with something called schizo affective disorder. It is a condition with some traits of schizophrenia mixed with depression. Reading gails post has given me the confidence to come clean. I have been battling to cope with my mental health then all of a sudden i am diagnosed as type 1 diabetic. I really could have done without it but seeing as there is not a thing i can do about it, i just have to learn to cope with both. Anyway that is why i joined then didn't post, just thought i would let you all know.

Sorry i forgot to say, thanks gail 1 for giving me the confidence to admit my health problem.🙂

Hi Casey, I'm glad you now feel confident about letting us know about your problems. You in turn may have helped others by your frankness, so thank you 🙂

We're a mixed bunch and no-one should feel they can't open up about something that is troubling them. I've been bipolar since my teens, and we have a lot of members who have suffered various mental health issues, whether as a result of diabetes or not. By speaking up we make it easier for others to do so also, so I'd like to thank Gail as well for her candour 🙂

Hi Casey so pleased you are feeling more confident, we all help someone out wheather we know it or not on here thats one of the many perks x

Hi Casey,
You must never feel ashamed or guilty about having a mental health problem. It is something that you have no control over - just like getting type 1 diabetes. Please try to join in and contribute - you never know - you might be able to help others with mental health problems and diabetes! Everyone is welcome on this forum and nobody will judge you or try to make you feel silly.

I hope you do get involved and hope to get to *know* you more - and well done for taking the step to join properly - it takes courage to say what you said.🙂Bev

p.s. Well dont to Gail too for making it easier for other people to be open.

Last edited:
Hi Casey, I'm so glad that you felt able to post this.

Conditions like depression are common in people with diabetes, so on this forum there is often discussions regarding that. There are several members who have written about their mental health problems and all members have been very sensitive.

How are you finding managing your diabetes at the moment? I know that for me diabetes control brings out some of my OCD traits.

Hi Casey,

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you felt you could 'come out'. Never forget that mental health problems are just like diabetes - not your fault.

H
x

Hi Casey, I'm fairly new to this forum too and also suffer with depression and have for many years. I'm type 2, and was totally shocked when I was diagnosed five years ago, I didn't want to know and thought it couldn't possibly be diabetes! No one in my family has it or ever hd it as far as I know.
But I'm so glad I found this site evry1 has been very supportive, and I think there are a lot of people here that also suffer with depression. So don't think u will ever be regarded as a freak, and if u want to talk I'll be happy to help if I can, take care, shirl x

I'm another one struggling with depression, it's seems to come with the territory, especially in the early days. We all have issues and problems to deal with whether mental or physical and I promise no-one here is going to think you're any kind of freak.

We could start a new club "Freaks 'R NOT' Us"... I too suffer from depression and some days don't even see the point of getting out of bed, I have had periods where i can't be bothered with my insulin, but I get back on track and if you are ever stuck or feeling bad, there is always somebody on here who helps, it is a great site and has fantastic people on it..:D

Im blushing now. If any of my posts help anyone i glad. Im someone who has severe mental health issues, someone whos been sectioned 10 times now, someone who has bp and blpd, someone who self harms on a regular basis and Im not going to hide it anymore THIS IS ME and if people dont like it hard cheese Its taken me a long while to get to the point of having this attitude Didt realize there were so many people on here with mental health issues I know there is a proven link between diabetes and depression I have read a lot of the research papers etc when I did my degree. For me this tread means a lot as Im not 100% well mental health wise at moment
PS wish me good luck I have a 117 meeting tomorrow (as i was on section 3 a little while ago) so have to face pdoc.cpn, art therapist, group therapist, homestart, gp, crisis team etc am cacking myself still at least Im taking mental health advocate with me this time

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow, big congrats to both Casey and Gail - it takes a lot of courage for ANYone to join in a thriving community, but for some it's even harder. I'm glad that you both have started posting and hope you'll continue to do so.

I don't post all that much at the moment, for reasons of my own, but I felt I HAD to come on and give you a pat on the back.

OMG, hope that doesn't sound patronising........

xx

Gail and Casey, you're welcome on here, no matter what, and you're certainly not freaks. We're all individuals, no matter what it says on our prescriptions. Sometimes we all feel like outsiders and i hope that coming on here helps you realise you're not alone. I'm pleased to have met you..:D

Rachel

good luck tomorrow gail ...we all have issues labeled or not ...one step at a time sorry to hear you are not in too good a place at mo ...but work through it hunny xxx
and to casey good luck too we are very fortunate on here to have such a good support network xx

Gail- hope the meeting goes well tomorrow.

Casey - I am another one suffering from depression. Glad you felt able to tell us all.

Rx

meeting didt go as i thought it would. Some of it was good some of it was crap. My pdoc siad to me and i quote "There are some people for whom the mental health system is toxic and you are one of them" They are keeping me on a 117 for a while. I just feel so mixed up about it. Came home and stuffed my face i was good and had a salad trouble was i gannised it with a sausage plait, tuna/sweetcorn sandwich mix and for desserts bubble gum ice cream I do have a habbit of hitting the food when upset Im trying to pluck up courage to tell this to gp when i see him on I think i have an eating disorder in the way i compusly stuff my face at times thats if overeating can be a eating disorder and its affecting my health i have to deal with it why do i feel so fu*ked tonight. Sorry if this post offends just need to get it out

Yes, binge eating is a recognised disorder. I see you took an advocate with you, was he/she any use? May I ask, what is a 117? I haven't come across that before.

My advocate was very good. A 117 is something you are put on when you have been on a section 3 (detained under the mental health act), its more of an after care thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back