Rant: Ignorance at school

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d use these as education opportunities, people are often curious about what we’re doing with either injections or pumps/libres and want to ask questions. You never know they may take a proper interest and you end up with a new friend 🙂
True. It’s that I explained to him afterwards and he wouldn’t listen

Ha! If it happens again I might offer him one. It was because my BG was dropping very fast so I was trying to stop a hypo before it happened

Make sure it's an orange Lift you offer him and not a raspberry one. The orange ones are disgusting!

Make sure it's an orange Lift you offer him and not a raspberry one. The orange ones are disgusting!
I like both orange and raspberry but I do have all four flavours of tablets at the minute. I can’t stand the blueberry ones so if he asks he can have one of them!

I had exactly the same thing happen earlier this week. A Year 7 girl popped her hand in the air and quietly asked if she could drink some apple juice as her blood glucose was low. I said 'of course' and I jokingly said 'let's compare' and scanned my arm. I was 7.2 and she showed me her smart watch, which was 3.2. I told her she won, which made her giggle but asked if she needed anything else as I had a stash of jelly babies etc in the room. At the end of the lesson a boy seated near to her had apparently told her it was not fair that she could eat sweets and drink things in lessons, but no-one else could and said "I wish I had diabetes". This made her rather tearful and she was initially reluctant to tell me why she was upset. I pinged an email to the head of year and at the end of the lesson we had a restorative conversation. The young man initially told us it wasn't fair that she could eat sweets etc and other students could not. When she and I had explained what hypos are like and how dangerous they can be he changed his tune.

So in a nutshell, you were definitely within your rights to raise this as a concern with your HOY.

I had exactly the same thing happen earlier this week. A Year 7 girl popped her hand in the air and quietly asked if she could drink some apple juice as her blood glucose was low. I said 'of course' and I jokingly said 'let's compare' and scanned my arm. I was 7.2 and she showed me her smart watch, which was 3.2. I told her she won, which made her giggle but asked if she needed anything else as I had a stash of jelly babies etc in the room. At the end of the lesson a boy seated near to her had apparently told her it was not fair that she could eat sweets and drink things in lessons, but no-one else could and said "I wish I had diabetes". This made her rather tearful and she was initially reluctant to tell me why she was upset. I pinged an email to the head of year and at the end of the lesson we had a restorative conversation. The young man initially told us it wasn't fair that she could eat sweets etc and other students could not. When she and I had explained what hypos are like and how dangerous they can be he changed his tune.

So in a nutshell, you were definitely within your rights to raise this as a concern with your HOY.
That’s bad about what that boy said. This happened on the playground before the start of form time. I did mention it to the head of year as there was an incident when I was in year 7 (not anything to do with diabetes) and the head of year spoke to everyone involved and it hasn’t happened since

'A Year 7 girl popped her hand in the air and quietly asked if she could drink some apple juice'

Imagine having to ask permission to treat a hypo.
Maybe she didn’t need ask permission but just felt like she did.

'A Year 7 girl popped her hand in the air and quietly asked if she could drink some apple juice'

Imagine having to ask permission to treat a hypo.
To be fair,I always go to the medical room to treat a hypo (by choice and I don’t have the patience to deal with comments from other students) but if I feel quite shaky then the teacher will get one of my friends to walk to the medical room with me.

So in a classroom situation it probably reduces the amount of comments if they have permission to have the apple juice as others won’t understand what a hypo is

To be fair,I always go to the medical room to treat a hypo (by choice and I don’t have the patience to deal with comments from other students) but if I feel quite shaky then the teacher will get one of my friends to walk to the medical room with me.

So in a classroom situation it probably reduces the amount of comments if they have permission to have the apple juice as others won’t understand what a hypo is
wouln't it be better to treat it there and then rather the walk somewhere?

I'm sure the excursion to the medical room raises just as many comments.

It's better to have permission in advance.
Permission in advance allows you do what you need to do, when you need to.
True.

wouln't it be better to treat it there and then rather the walk somewhere?
I find it easier to deal with the comments after the hypo rather than when I’m treating the hypo as when hypo I have no patience so it’s easier to go to medical - if I feel that hypo then someone will walk to medical with me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back