Quite Concerning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I feel so sorry for his husband and family. I wonder if it was just that Omnipod that was faulty or an entire batch of Omnipods that were faulty

I have just read the report as well. Medtronic was slated a few years back for an issue of dumping a bucket load of insulin.

Must admit I do wonder how it happens though because with the last 3 pumps I have had you set the amount the pump can deliver as a maximum bolus and maximum TDD as well as a maximum basal per hour. I assume this is a safety device.

I'm confused by some of the reporting as it says the pump gave breakfast boluses yet the gentleman was asleep so was he using a closed loop system and did that malfunction? I also don't understand why his cgm did not alarm to say he was going hypo at 100mph.

Very sad indeed. Something clearly went wrong, either programmed wrong or faulty machine or unknown reason?

It says this in the report:

"Records from the pod’s companion device shows that at 8.40am he received a bolus dose of 16.9 units - enough to put him in a coma.

The pod then administered three more bolus doses – each at 17.05 units – over the next 48 minutes.

Quadruple bolus doses combined with the basal dose means he received 75 units – the equivalent of four days’ worth of insulin.

A working Omnipod is designed so it cannot deliver more than 30 units in one hour"

Tragic so tragic, feel for those left behind.

Been using omnipod system for last 8 years, recently changed to dash device still using pods. Pods do have maximum dose to what can be delivered in 1 hour, also you can set maximum bolus dose so system wont deliver insulin if you accidentally enter wrong amount. Only yesterday went to deliver 5 units for lunch but entered 55 instead, message came up that dose was outside maximum bolus allowed which alerted me to mistake, so something horribly went wrong with this man's system for it to deliver that amount in 45 mins.

Poor, poor man - just absolutely shocking. Deepest sympathy to his husband and all his family and friends.

Previous issues are the reason the Omnipod is not offered by my hospital.

Terribly sad :( I hope we get to hear what happened - often these stories appear bu we never get to find out the results of the investigation. It's important for users of this pump to find out how it might have happened.

Terribly sad :( I hope we get to hear what happened - often these stories appear bu we never get to find out the results of the investigation. It's important for users of this pump to find out how it might have happened.
Very true!

If it was a fault with the pump, surely Omnipod would have to issue an alert?
This is a very worrying possibility - pump malfunction. Is it something Diabetes U.K. is watching @everydayupsanddowns @Cherrelle DUK ?

I’ve had a tubed pump for many years. When I first got it, I was afraid of it pumping in an uncontrolled amount of insulin, but the pump rep explained my pump had two microchips and one was a ‘guardian’ one that was constantly monitoring the other. Do patch pumps have similar?

If it was a fault with the pump, surely Omnipod would have to issue an alert?
This is a very worrying possibility - pump malfunction. Is it something Diabetes U.K. is watching @everydayupsanddowns @Cherrelle DUK ?
Yes, it's important that at least Diabetes UK tracks what happens.

According to another report, https://www.thenational.scot/news/1...insulin-pump-ban-following-top-lawyers-death/
However, the pump manufacturer, Insulet, said it had no “evidence of a device malfunction or performance issue” currently and stressed that safety is its top priority.​
but also
The legal firm said the pod then administered three more doses of 17.05 units each in the next 48 minutes.​
In total he is said to have received 75 units – the equivalent of four days’ worth of insulin, despite a working Omnipod being designed so it cannot deliver more than 30 units in one hour.​

Hang on , read the article before reacting this surfaced yesterday in the Herald . this has been floating about since November 10, it's now the end of December.
Consider the timing,
At first the details didn't add up.
between 20.00hrs and 08.00 the whole thing has been added to, and now the husband and the lawyers have been quoted
If you notice there is mention of criminal action,
plus the firm's Liability bod
It doesn't add up

What is strange is the time frame for the manufacturer to analyse the problem if it was a problem?

The husband is shouting for the pump to be withdrawn, I can accept that , but again I refer to the time frame,
Has the manufacturer sat on it's back side for 40 to 50 days?
Let's not kid anyone the pumps are big money to the manufacturer

Now a bit of background , in Scotland the SNP are promoting Diabetes as a disability , and there a lot of nasty people . on that band wagon,
Any of the type ones I know would slap a wet mackerel round the ear of someone who said ,disabled
As for the Legal Firm . . . . Digby Brown In the USA it would be a Class Action Suit they smell,
The correct UK title is "Group Litigation"
The removed post from the Herald
"The article is a bit all over the place, on the face of it the pump seems to have over produced insulin, if the pump has failed and the result is that over production, then the simplest solution would setting the pump to default position of "off",on a failure within the system , then hyperglycemia would start to occur as opposed to hypoglycemia.As I said the article is quite vague
Personally I have never fancied the pump
and to be a bit tasteless what appear to have happened was used in Person of Interest ie phone, sensor and pump"

Last edited by a moderator:
There are quite a few Type 1's that think it should be classed as a disability from what I've seen on numerous groups, also sounds like a bit of Scottish battering going on in your post

No me , A'm the ane wha pointit oot thon the NHS wis predatit i scotland bi 35 years, somewhere on this forum

sae dinnae be givin me any o yer nonsense or ye'll no be gettin a Broons book for yer new year noo awa hold yer wheesht
alba foundin member

Well, I was classified as having a disability when I worked under Civil Service employment rules in England. Indeed, it’s pretty normal for that to happen. I’ve always assumed it was enshrined in employment law.

Can I have the Broons Annual for my birthday?

I’m still an SNP member, read The National every day.

What is strange is the time frame for the manufacturer to analyse the problem if it was a problem?

The pump went to the MRHA first. Nobody knows what happened so the death is unexplained and there has to be a criminal investigation. As it’s still being investigated, I imagine the article was worded and re-worded carefully so as to remain within the law.

Well, I was classified as having a disability when I worked under Civil Service employment rules in England. Indeed, it’s pretty normal for that to happen. I’ve always assumed it was enshrined in employment law.

Can I have the Broons Annual for my birthday?

I’m still an SNP member, read The National every day.
Nah it's just so they have x amount of people registered as disabled 🙂 It used to be the case where work places employing a certain amount of people had to employ a disabled person, oh then the bonus from the government for doing so 🙂

The pump went to the MRHA first. Nobody knows what happened so the death is unexplained and there has to be a criminal investigation. As it’s still being investigated, I imagine the article was worded and re-worded carefully so as to remain within the law.
Given they are the manufacturers , the initial report would within 10 days usually it would be quicker, , the final report a fair bit longer, that said I would have expected a reaction in the fashion of withdrawing the item, something like the warnings of say food from counters and the on doors of the stores.

The wording was changed dramatically , it was about a third of the size of the one I posted that was taken at about 09.30 this morning
Criminal? The postmortem would give the cause of death , and if necessary lead to further investigation , at that stage I believe it would not be a criminal investigation
The Herald article refers to a Liability Bod( my word) , such a person would not be involved at this stage,as I believe any criminal proceedings would reflect on liability .
I have concerns over blanket coverage by MSM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back