Quick Glucagon Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, thanks for the advice 🙂 - which I have passed on. I gather the parents have got it all in hand and will get a new one for the start of term if their GP/consultant thinks it necessary. - At pesent the kit is in a cupboard, but the parents are aware of the this.

In relation to mine, I currently have one in the fridge at home but will need to check the date. I usually get one if we do something unusual on holiday and then keep it till it is out of date but don't really worry if I am at home and don't have one around. (I am lucky in that I have never had to use one).

But the main reason the nurse said no to it was I would need to train someone on how to use it and it goes off!

Should I chase for one?

Although ideally someone should train to use one - I keep an expired one so that people can practice on an orange - there are picture instructions inside the lid that are easy to follow. The ideal person to use one is another diabetic so I dare say if mine ever gets used it will probably be me giving it to someone else.

I do think that any insulin taker who keeps tight control should carry one and teach family and friends to use it.

I think that saying they go off as a reason not to prescribe one is very short sighted - about ?15 every 18 months is not a great deal compared with the other costs of dm and a lot less than calling an ambulance and being admitted to hospital if you loose cosciousness and don't have one.

Last edited:
Adrienne

Sorry to make you have a rant, but it is always welcome you know. And a big ThAnKs to making me aware of a few things, I will do my best to sort one out, I can see myself in the spring or summer going a bit strange in the garden!! So probably is worth getting one in the stock cup'd. I'm seeing my new team tomorrow, I wonder what they will be like, hopefully not just a 5 minute chat with me nodding like a donkey too!!

Cheers

Rossi🙂

Probably a dumb q.....

At what stage does someone need glucagon?

Ah right, not to worry you but it will be either when unconscious or unable to eat or drink.............

However if you are ill and low so ie vomitting and diarrhea then some people do have to resort to the small doses of glucagon. No idea how to do it but have friends who have done it just to keep levels up. If you want to know more, let me know and I shall phone a friend or ask the audience !

Adrienne

Sorry to make you have a rant, but it is always welcome you know. And a big ThAnKs to making me aware of a few things, I will do my best to sort one out, I can see myself in the spring or summer going a bit strange in the garden!! So probably is worth getting one in the stock cup'd. I'm seeing my new team tomorrow, I wonder what they will be like, hopefully not just a 5 minute chat with me nodding like a donkey too!!

Cheers

Rossi🙂

Hi Rossi
No need to apologise, a good old rant is always welcomed especially if I can help someone with a glucagon question. If you keep them out of the fridge they last 18 months, if you keep them in the fridge then they last 36 months or the use by date, whichever is first.

I hope your new team are good, you deserve a good team. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back