Quick Glucagon Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCH

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Today is the last day of term :D :D :D and the school nurse has a childs Glucagon kit which has been in her fridge. She wants to know if it can be left out of the fridge for two weeks and still used if necessary (the fridges have to be swiched off for the holidays) or if she needs to phone the childs parents (the child in question being absent today) and ask them to pick it up.

I have suggested the phoning option, but if the parents can't get here, can the stuff be kept or will it need replaced?

Embarrasingly 😱 I do not know but wondered if anyone else does.

Last edited:
A Glucagon kit may be stored at room temperature (up to 25C) for 18 months so no problem.

How many people here have said kit? I once asked about it "just in case" being a good boy scout and all, nursey basically said no you don't need one! She's probably right so far so good, just wondered what yous all thought do!?

The only reason I considered asking about it was incase I woke one morning a bit screwed after a long (!) night😉

How many people here have said kit? I once asked about it "just in case" being a good boy scout and all, nursey basically said no you don't need one! She's probably right so far so good, just wondered what yous all thought do!?

They are designed to be carried with us.

That said mine expired yonks ago and I've not needed one since the last time 🙄

I've needed glucogon twice, in the early days where hypos hit me very quickly, the change to Levemir and NovoRapid changed that and I've not needed it since. Still, I think for type 1's it should be part of the standard equipment - more to lug around :confused:

I have one, I got one when first diagnosed which went out of date. I got a new one to take on holiday with us last year. We were trekking in the Himalayas and I thought better safe than sorry, with the lack of hospitals, strange food, and high potential for stomach upsets.

I have one, I got one when first diagnosed which went out of date. I got a new one to take on holiday with us last year. We were trekking in the Himalayas and I thought better safe than sorry, with the lack of hospitals, strange food, and high potential for stomach upsets.

Yep, the last time I needed one was the first time we went to Corfu after diagnosis, the heat, a day at aqualand and not realising how much I'd eaten, or actually hadn't in comparison to doing EVERY ride at least three times with the kids and sometimes if I was lucky my partner!

The only reason I considered asking about it was incase I woke one morning a bit screwed after a long (!) night😉

Last night at work someone asked me about my "energy tablets". I said I'm Diabetic and she asked if that means I can't drink. Hahaha. I laughed and said I should probably be careful, but i'm not!

Last night at work someone asked me about my "energy tablets". I said I'm Diabetic and she asked if that means I can't drink. Hahaha. I laughed and said I should probably be careful, but i'm not!

I phoned a friend the other day haven't see/spoken to her for an age, she asked about the old D, and then asked if I have cut down my drinking!The cheek of it! I laughed, but said I probably have some of the time! I just munch whilst drinking😉

But the main reason the nurse said no to it was I would need to train someone on how to use it and it goes off!

Should I chase for one?

Unfortunately Glucagon does not work if you've been drinking - something to do with the alcohol interfering with the liver - so no good after a 'long (!) night'.

I phoned a friend the other day haven't see/spoken to her for an age, she asked about the old D, and then asked if I have cut down my drinking!The cheek of it! I laughed, but said I probably have some of the time! I just munch whilst drinking😉

But the main reason the nurse said no to it was I would need to train someone on how to use it and it goes off!

Should I chase for one?

hmm you could do if you think you'll need one. Your wife would have to learn what to do. I have never needed one personally *touches wood*.

Unfortunately Glucagon does not work if you've been drinking - something to do with the alcohol interfering with the liver - so no good after a 'long (!) night'.

Good point well made Jules!🙂 I don't have one because most of the time I'd be the only one who would be around to administer it.

Cheers Jules, glad I know that.
Katie I'm surey wifey would have no problem in pocking me with a needle! but think I'll leave it after Jules piece of knowledge.

Cheers Jules, glad I know that.
Katie I'm surey wifey would have no problem in pocking me with a needle! but think I'll leave it after Jules piece of knowledge.

There'd never be a time when you hadn't had alcohol 😉 😉

I have one which I carry with my other kit. I got it after going hypo during a walk while I was about 45 minutes walk from the nearest road, let alone habitation. I must have been fairly close to losing consciousness as I was down to 2 and this scared me into getting one. I usually walk with others and they know about the kit. Doctor was a bit unhappy about prescribing it saying that they usually pass their use by date without being used but I said it was too late to get one after it was needed.

MCH - best advice if to read any information leaflet supplied with the glucagon kit. Personally, I'd say it's better for the child to take kit home for holidays, as there's a possibility temperature may vary in an unoccupied school - could get below freezing, heating could go haywire and get too hot - and no-one might know the extremes experiencd by the kit left out of the fridge.
As an adult, I don't have a glucagon kit, but if I were responsible for a child with T1D, I would want to have one available. I did have one for a while soon after diagnois, but it expired and I didn't throw it away, so was able to donate to a mountain rsecue team for training purposes.

Sorry guys, having had to use Glucagon on my daughter, I believe it is absolutely an essential that you have a glucagon injection kit. Rossi, your nurse makes me so cross, pure laziness on her part, there are loads of nurses who say the same and believe me, if I ever hear one saying that or something similar I put her in her place and I've done it a few times.

The RCN state that all schools should be trained in the use of Glucagon. It is in the NICE guidelines.

The glucagon injection kit was devised for non professional people to us, ie you, me, friends and family. It is easy to use. There are 4 pictures in the lid and it is exactly like it shows.

This is a life saving kit and it could save any one of your lives. I saved my daughter's life.

An ambulance may never arrive. If you call an ambulance and it is enroute to you and they get another call from someone who has preference then your ambulance can be diverted. This is so in the London Ambulance service, Jessica had a PSP number (patient specific protocol) and she has preference. In East Sussex she also has preference but only if at home or school address (odd way of doing it but there you go). So if I call an ambulance and there is one nearby going elsewhere they will divert it to me.

Check the NICE guidelines and tell your nurse(s) to stick it. All people with type 1 diabetes should have a glucagon kit (at least one). I have loads.

You will not use it yourself, you will be beyond the point of being able to do anything when you need gluacgon. Sorry to be so blunt.

Glucagon is my pet project, ask Bev. Whenever anyone on the email list asks a question about how their team say no glucagon I rant quite a lot. Our doc from GOSH told our old PCT that if they did not allow glucagon at school he would not allow Jessica to go to school.

Good point well made Jules!🙂 I don't have one because most of the time I'd be the only one who would be around to administer it.

But then if you do have one, have a problem and a medic is on hand, then they will at least have the tools to assist you - without a kit they are equally as useless until an ambulance arrives.

I'm assuming Glucogon is on every ambulance :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back