Question about Metformin

helen56

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I've never felt depressed in my life but, lately, at least 2-3 times a week, I feel sad for no reason and I've even cried a couple of times (very unusual for me), again for no reason. Today I was literally in tears and I didn't know why. It lasted for 2 hours and the same thing happened yesterday. Two hours later I was my usual, happy self.
My dad wonders if it's because of Metformin (I'm on the second month of taking it twice daily) and I've started wondering, too. Nothing bad has happened to me or my family, I'm on holidays, I should be fine; and I am fine except a couple of hours every morning, right after I take Metformin.
I don't see anything like that in the side effects but I don't know what else to think, so, I thought I should skip my morning dose tomorrow and see what happens with my BS.
I'd just like some opinions.

If you have diabetes it's not unusual to be depressed sometimes. It's happened to me, more than once, despite being in remission. It's the relentless management that sometimes gets me down. This site has a page about it:-

As for stopping your Metformin, my advice would be to not do so without talking to your DN or, as @Dishevelled has suggested, your GP.

@helen56 I was put on Metformin and Atorvastatin and I was having thoughts of suicide in a few weeks, I stopped the tablets and felt entirely different quite quickly. Personally I hate the stuff - I had every reason to feel it wasn't worth taking such a substance - the explosive faecal incontinence was a bit of a nuisance on more than one occasion. Even the acquisition of a professional level carpet/upholstery cleaner was unable to lift my mood.

It's not a common side effect from Metformin

I don't experience this symptom from metformin, my dose is 500mg am and pm, I guess it could depend on your dose as well. I would check in with your doctor to be sure nothing else is amiss with your bloods etc. Hope the situation is soon resolved for you.

Thank you all. I just talked to my GP.

She said she's had this complaint from a few other diabetics, too, but it's not really a side effect of Metformin, so, she thinks it's because of diabetes itself.
Anyway, she asked for my latest numbers and said it won't hurt to skip one dose as long as I make sure I stick to my diet, exercise, and finger prick 2 hours after lunch.
So, I'll do it tomorrow and call her and tell her the outcome.
I'll keep you posted!

If you haven’t been diagnosed that long, it’s more likely the stress from the whole thing coming to the surface than the metformin I’d suspect.

So, today, I didn't take Metformin in the morning and I ate what I usually do (low carb) and did my swimming as usual. No depression and my BS 2 hours after lunch was 5.3, one of my lowest ever.

I informed my doctor and she was very pleased. She insists that my moods can't have been because of Metformin but she said we could try to reduce it to one daily, in the evening and see how it goes.

Admittedly I'm excited 😛

Fantastic news @helen56. I assume you will continue to test? Fingers crossed it stays at those levels.

I cannot take metformin but had that on the Empglioflozin. My DN said it was not the medication but my body adjusting to better sugar levels. if your blood sugar has come down that is reason enough for your body to say hey no sugar no energy and your brain is saying the same. It took time but I did go in and out of feeling good and bad. Take care and do speak to your Dn and keep her in the picture. It might be another blood problem but you need to ensure you drink plenty too. Dehydration can also cause you to feel low. All the best.

Keep an eye on Vit levels as well. No tummy worries on x four Metformin but I am having the weirdest stupid dream patterns. I am not worried as I know they are stupid but it's not me, so thats another thing I can blame.

Hope your improved mood and improved BG results continue - glad you were able to discuss things with your GP, and that she is supportive.

It's not a common side effect from Metformin
I am absolutely certain that it was the tablets which caused the problem - but of course it went unrecorded and unreported so if course it is 'not a common problem' - because it doesn't get recorded.

I am absolutely certain that it was the tablets which caused the problem - but of course it went unrecorded and unreported so if course it is 'not a common problem' - because it doesn't get recorded.
You can complete a yellow card yourself I think.

You can complete a yellow card yourself I think.

I was told that as I was taking both Metformin and Atorvastatin at the same time, I could not make my own report - I should have checked.

I was told that as I was taking both Metformin and Atorvastatin at the same time, I could not make my own report - I should have checked.
So if you are on any other drug you cannot report a drug . That is strange. Then that covers many drugs not being reported.

According to my doctor, other patients have complained about the same thing but not enough of them to consider it a "side effect".
But what I know is that today is the second day I haven't taken Metformin in the morning and I feel great.
It could be a coincidence but it happens.

According to my doctor, other patients have complained about the same thing but not enough of them to consider it a "side effect".
But what I know is that today is the second day I haven't taken Metformin in the morning and I feel great.
It could be a coincidence but it happens.
You are i think correct. You know your body how you feel. As long as it’s not sending you blood sugar too high too low . Thats the aim is it not to get good blood sugar readings.
I will never knowingly go back on Metformin its a nasty drug.
My bloods are not right yet but i am working on them.
For me low carb works , meds have side effect. Low carb has too but it settles.
I say do whats best for you. Be happy . To be honest once they write the prescription its tick. if you don't go they get someone else.
Being honest though if you need it for some its the best. Its the first choice for many.
All the best.

Back