Pumps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I suspect the rain came once she was a few miles out and didn't want to return home, She's an equine vet, so probably well used to keeping pump working in muddy places where kicks are a possibility.

I breed horses and my pump has taken a full kick before now and it didn't even bleep let alone crack. I own up to saying something bleeping rude to the equine involved though🙄
Pumps are very robust though and it's amazing what they put up with.
I know you are very negative about pumps and it comes across very clearly in your posts, but what also comes across is the fear of the unknown. We all went through this before we started to pump. So my advice is don't knock it untill you have tried it 🙂

Isn't that just certain pumps? I was told by the DSN I'd get away with a shower with the pump still on but wouldn't risk putting it on the side of a bath. I disconnect for a shower anyway as it's only a 10 minute job. And besides... I wouldn't know where to dangle it from!?!

Oi... That's your filthy minds, not mine! Heheh.

HI TB, all pumps leave the factory waterproof. Medtronic say there's is spash proof only to be on the safe side. I believe this is due to a slight problem with the casing where either the battery or cartridge cap is done up. Some people are over enthusiastic when tightening the caps so a stress fracure can apear.
As Bev say's though they are water proof.
I stood in a freezing cold stream up to my waist last winter for well over an hour trying to get a s*dding ewe out as she had fallen in and couldn't get out. Pump was under water as well. Again no problem with it.

Hi Cath,

Those reservoirs last me about two to three days usually and my cannulas tend to stay in for up to four or five days at the most. Given my line of work and my future line of work, Tom

Tom,
just to give you the heads up on this...... you should not leave a cannula in for more than 3 days.This is detrimental to your health and could put an end to you being able to pump in the future.
Leaving cannulas in causes scar tissue build up thus no absorption, you are also leaving yourself open to infection as an added bonus. 😱

Last edited:
I would consider a pump IF MDI didn't suit me so well, but why use so many more resourses for no advantage for me? That does't mean that I don't support anyone else who needs a pump.

Sue - I refer back to this post. Is that being negative?!? MDI suits me, so I don't want to convert anyone, nor so I want to prevent support for any pumpers. In real life, the people who share the same activities as me and use pumps are the ones who highlight the problems they've had.

I feel this is going a bit off topic! 🙂

Cath, was there anything else you wanted to know? My pump, like SacredHeart's, holds 200u and given primes etc, it lasts me about 4 or 5 days. I have the Animas 2020 which is marketed as being waterproof, which is going to be tested when I go kayaking next week! Cannulas are only designed to stay in for a max of 3 days (some are only 2 days, such as the Sure T) - as Sue points out, leaving it longer than that could cause problems below the skin that you can't see. Cannula changes can be nerve wracking at first, but you soon get used to them and I can now do a set change in just a couple of minutes.

struth

If rain etc was going to knacker your pump I would have been right up the kiber without a paddle.. So would a couple of other pumpers I know...

Working in dog kennels boy did my pump get both a bashing in verious ways, but also got a soaking on a regular bases🙂

As to a pump getting ruined by rain nah

There was a underlying problem with the pump for this to happen, if the rain get inside to take out the buttons, then there was either an hair line fracture somewhere on the caseing or things such as battery cover etc not probably tightened etc...

But as too pumping yes a lot of people are worried about the unknown aspects of pumping, like having it attached 24/7 etc, which is very natural I think we all had apprehensions of one sort or another, mine was having the pump working away over night!

Best thing is to try it, if you don't like it and decided it's not for you then hand it back... But be warned there are very few people who actually hand them back though..

That's very true (about people handing them back). I did ask, because I wasn't 100% sure about it myself. I was told that there were about 100 people in my area now on pumps, and only 2 had given them back, due to (I'm told) very individual and understandable reasons. You can't argue too much with apparently a 98% satisfaction rate, I suppose.

I have a pump as well, I have a Paradigm mini med and I would 'nt give it back for anything. its really helping me through my pregnancy 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back