pump thoughts please, have I done my homework right do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you spoken to your consultant @meha1209 ? And have you looked at the NICE guidelines to see if you would qualify? Those are the first steps.

Hello!
Congratulations on being approved for the pump! I was curious about the process on getting the approval since I have been considering getting a pump too. Is it a lengthy/ difficult process? I would really appreciate if you could shed some light on it. Thank you!
The best way to find out is to ask your DSN as it varies greatly by CCG.
Probably worth checking the NICe guidelines to build your case.

Have you spoken to your consultant @meha1209 ? And have you looked at the NICE guidelines to see if you would qualify? Those are the first steps.
Hi! I did take a look at the guidelines but from what I understood, a lot of it was about poor glycemic control. And while my numbers aren't supremely great, they aren't too bad either. Neither do I have hypo unawareness. So was wondering if that disqualifies me from getting a pump. I don't have an appointment with my Diabetes anytime in the next 2 months, so will probably have to wait it out. Thanks!

The best way to find out is to ask your DSN as it varies greatly by CCG.
Probably worth checking the NICe guidelines to build your case.
Will do! I will have to wait for my next appointment though Thanks!

Hello!
Congratulations on being approved for the pump! I was curious about the process on getting the approval since I have been considering getting a pump too. Is it a lengthy/ difficult process? I would really appreciate if you could shed some light on it. Thank you!
Hi - basically at my review having talked through things, a pump was suggested to me, which I was surprised about. They asked me to think about it and then I confirmed I would like to be considered for funding at MDT meeting. That took about 2 weeks (apparently this meeting happens once a month), then another two weeks or so for the information session. Actual pump start is slated as May/June. So really the timeline has been (unusually?) fast. As Inka and Helli suggest having a chat to your DSN/consultant is good idea and I guess have a look at the guidelines too. Good luck!

Hi! I did take a look at the guidelines but from what I understood, a lot of it was about poor glycemic control. And while my numbers aren't supremely great, they aren't too bad either. Neither do I have hypo unawareness. So was wondering if that disqualifies me from getting a pump. I don't have an appointment with my Diabetes anytime in the next 2 months, so will probably have to wait it out. Thanks!

I’m not sure if “disqualify”is the right word, it’s more that pumps are an extra for those who can’t solve their problems by other means. That’s one of the things you have to show - that you’ve tried a number of things to solve your problem and that they haven’t worked.

It’s worth mentioning to your team though, so don’t be put off asking for more information. At least then you’ll know where you stand 🙂

Hi @Saoirse You have certainly done your homework.

I am currently using the Medtronic 780 in a closed loop. That would now be my priority in choosing a pump as looping has meant I just don’t have to think about Diabetes as much, since my pump is continuously sorting things out in the background.

Having said that my first pump was way before looping was available and I thought just having a pump was fab as it gave so much greater flexibility. I was another bigger user of different profiles for days when Temporary Basal Rates (TBR) weren’t enough. I still only used three regularly . Whatever facilities your pump has you will get used to if and like it.

Let us know how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back