Pump suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonick

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
First post. Hello everyone I am Paul I have been type 1 for 26 years now and am now 51 and been doing well with fiasp and toujeo but been offered a pump as having some minor problems 3 hours after breakfast. What’s people’s suggestions. ?

Welcome @Sonick 🙂 What pumps does your clinic offer? Mine offers a lot but some only offer one or two.

My pump is a Dana i (I had a Dana RS before) and it’s great. I can control it from my phone and it can be used with Dexcom in a loop. It’s really intuitive and very well-designed.

Hoping to be pumping soon atm carb counting ready. Which pumps are easy to use

Hoping to be pumping soon atm carb counting ready. Which pumps are easy to use

What pumps have you been offered @Lilly ? Not every pump will be on offer from every clinic.

I find my Dana easy to use but most pumps are easy because they have to be really. You can’t have too many opportunities for user-error.

Thanks and thank you for the quick reply. I will endeavour to find out as my appointment is on the 20th.

Thanks and thank you for the quick reply. I will endeavour to find out as my appointment is on the 20th.

If you give the department a call, they’ll probably be able to tell you. Write them down and then start googling and ask here again. Also, decide whether you’d prefer a tubed pump or a patch pump. I prefer tubed pumps so could rule out one pump I was offered immediately (because it was a patch pump).

Great that you have the offer of a pump @Sonick

There is likely to be someone on here using each of the pumps that your clinic offer. Just ask.

What about sleeping with a tubed system connected. I am such a fidget ? Spend all night tossing and turning

What about sleeping with a tubed system connected. I am such a fidget ? Spend all night tossing and turning
I too am a fidget and have used a tubed pump.
I never pulled it out. However, it would find its way under my bony hip.
Therefore, I purchased a pump belt which I wrapped twice around my upper thigh to keep the pump under control and away from my bony bits.

I too am a fidget and have used a tubed pump.
I never pulled it out. However, it would find its way under my bony hip.
Therefore, I purchased a pump belt which I wrapped twice around my upper thigh to keep the pump under control and away from my bony bits.
Thanks helli that's a great solution and one I had not seen

Not a problem - and I’m extremely fidgety (and clumsy!). I keep my pump in a Hid-in belt round my waist. So comfortable! In fact, I usually wear my pump in a soft belt like that. I forget I’m wearing it and I don’t need to get it out because my pump is controlled via my phone. I have my belt looser at night so it moves round with me as I turn.

What pumps have you been offered @Lilly ? Not every pump will be on offer from every clinic.

I find my Dana easy to use but most pumps are easy because they have to be really. You can’t have too many opportunities for user-error.
On Teesside that is either Metronic (I assume the latest) or the omnipod, but following a full day edicational training where you get to play with them a bit. Meanwhile changed from Levemir for basal and novorapid, to Lantus and novarapid, and trying to learn carb counting whilst on the go.

I don't think there's a bad choice for a first pump. They all do pretty much the same things, and the 'big' benefits are common to all (flexible basal profile... accurate doses... bolus wizard... temporary basal rates... extended wave boluses etc etc) so really it's just a matter of going with your gut and even maybe the one you like the look of most! Or if it has something like a remote / smartphone app that you think would (or wouldn't) work for you.

Additionally there are factors like optional sensor integration that you may want to have available if you may be able to qualify for sensors, or may be able to self-fund.

Good luck with your choices @Sonick and @Lilly 🙂

Hi guys I got news back from the diabetes nurse and the pumps available are as follows :- Omnipod Dash, Medtronic and T-Slim. thoughts on these are welcome, Thanks in advance

Hi guys I got news back from the diabetes nurse and the pumps available are as follows :- Omnipod Dash, Medtronic and T-Slim. thoughts on these are welcome, Thanks in advance

Use Dash & can't fault it if honest, expect other pumps will be as good maybe better who knows.

Hi @Sonick. I had the same choice of pumps at my clinic. I was already sure I’d do best with a patch pump, but signed up for the Omnipod and T-slim Show&Tell (Zoom) sessions with reps. These were really useful. The reps were brilliant. I’d researched both pumps online beforehand so that I knew what they were capable of and had questions ready. I also ordered the Dash dummy and wore it for a few days. I downloaded the T-slim simulator and played around with that too. There are also lots of videos on YouTube of pumpers doing things with their pumps!

By the time I made my decision, I felt I’d done everything possible to make the right choice. I’ve been using the Omnipod Dash since June last year and I’m a very happy bunny.

Good luck! 🙂

Now the fun part starts! Google each pump as well as looking at reviews, videos on YouTube, etc. Make notes about them (even if you don’t quite understand what they mean, you’ll pick it up as you research).

Make a chart with basic information for each pump, side by side so you can compare. So, things like reservoir size, battery life, minimum bolus/basal, etc etc. Circle anything that stands out to you as a concern or a bonus.

Also, look at the variety of sets and cannulas each pump has. These aren’t a boring extra - they’re crucial and often the weak link in a pump. Different cannula types suit different people. You might also need different cannulas for different body areas, or Teflon in one area and steel in another. Having used pumps for almost 20 years, a poor choice of cannulas would put me off.

I haven’t used any of the three pumps on your list. I’d be torn between the T Slim and the Medtronic. In my research, each had something I didn’t like, so I’d have to think which to go for. Your wants and needs might be different, but never overlook ‘trivial’ things because when you live with a pump 24/7, a ‘trivial’ issue can drive you mad.

Will be interested to hear if you find any significant difference between Fiasp and Lyumjev? What was the logic of that swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back