Pump start date confirmed & questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lauras87

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well my start date has been confirmed as 3 September (day before my birthday it will be the best birthday present!)

I need to get vials added to my prescription but wondered how many should I have each time?

I know I go live before lunch but stupid question are you taken to one side to put the cannula in? Just I'm paranoid about the scars on my stomach & don't fancy wearing a dress & having to lift it up to put a cannula in infront of everyone

Last edited:
I need to get vitals added to my prescription but wondered how many should I have each time?

Just tell em your bust and waist size you will be fine :D

Great news! Good luck Laura! 🙂 Sorry I can't answer your questions, but I'm sure someone will soon 🙂

Hia - snap same birthday 🙂
I get 2 vials each time and they last about a month each vial.
My cannula was put in whilst I was in the DSNs office - she locked the door when I was doing it.

Best of luck with it 🙂

Hia - snap same birthday 🙂
I get 2 vials each time and they last about a month each vial.
My cannula was put in whilst I was in the DSNs office - she locked the door when I was doing it.

Best of luck with it 🙂

Thank you Riri for letting me know about the cannula & the vials

happy birthday for then 🙂

And thank you, am giddy about it all

Good luck Laura.

Good luck, do let us know how it goes. I'll be watching as I'll be starting a few days later though I don't have my date yet.

I hope there is a private space to put the cannula in, don't fancy doing that in public 😱

Good luck. I started yesterday. I have 2 vials of Novorapid on repeat, I think I will need 3 vials per month - unless my insulin use drops significantly.

Good luck. I started yesterday. I have 2 vials of Novorapid on repeat, I think I will need 3 vials per month - unless my insulin use drops significantly.

Ask for your insulin to be prescribed as PRN. Basically means order when you need more. Always have a spare in case you have a breakage. If this happens you are up a creek with no paddle

Good luck, do let us know how it goes. I'll be watching as I'll be starting a few days later though I don't have my date yet.

I hope there is a private space to put the cannula in, don't fancy doing that in public 😱

Will do LH.
Which pump are you getting?

How you finding the pump so far?

Will do LH.
Which pump are you getting?

I'm getting the vibe, it was a choice between that and the combo but at the rate I loose things I thought I'd do better with all the functionality on the pump. Then I can stick with my fleet of meters around the place rather than needing to carry a specific one all the time.

Just working on the important decision of what colour to get 🙂

fleet of meters

lol :D

How you finding the pump so far?

It really is no bother having it attached 24/7.

I have dawn effect in bucket loads, so quite insulin resistant in the morning. Having a constant trickle of basal insulin seems to be way more effective in dealing with that.

I'm learning that my strange bolus ratios when using a pen;
1 unit : 2g carbs at breakfast
1 unit: 12g carbs at lunch
1 unit : 3g carbs at dinner
have arisen to compensate for the inability of Levemir to vary according to changing basal needs during the day. Now that I have a varying supply of basal insulin, my ratios are giving far too much Novorapid and I am having hypos. I had another call from the nurse this morning and we're working through it with further basal and bolus adjustments.

This is day 3 and I know it's going to be worth it all this work because I can already spot periods within the day where I have stable sugar levels for the first time in 16 years! :D

Roll on Sept ! & extra "HAPPY" Bday. I know you will love it 😎

Well I've just wrecked (practically) virtually 2 full vials. Opened a new one last week then on Friday went off to a Caravan Club rally until Tues evening, and the fridge won't work on gas ...... so having taken the open vial plus another new one, I now have to use them both within 30 days. In practice I will only use the rest of the open one and a third of the full one so the rest can go in the bin. I already have two more safely in the fridge at home and we are trying to get the fridge repaired pdq. It's under warranty as we've only had the van since mid-March but it has to go in to the flippin dealers (miles away) and stay there while they fix it, and that hacks us both off completely.

I've taken to slightly over-ordering everything because then we can just bog off on holiday at the drop of a hat with no panic stations.

I always understood it that you could 'halt' the 30 days (not reset it just stop it in its tracks) when you put the vials back in the fridge - so you wouldnt have to use them within 30 days, just within 30 total days of them being out of the fridge? (Does that make sense?)

I always understood it that you could 'halt' the 30 days (not reset it just stop it in its tracks) when you put the vials back in the fridge - so you wouldnt have to use them within 30 days, just within 30 total days of them being out of the fridge? (Does that make sense?)

Hi Annette,
Not to sure but suspect the opened vial date start is the day you first puncture the vial seal. The insulin will start to degrade from then onwards.

Then I can stick with my fleet of meters around the place rather than needing to carry a specific one all the time.

Just working on the important decision of what colour to get 🙂

lol fleet of meters!
And yes colour is important, don't know if I'll buy a skin for mine

It really is no bother having it attached 24/7.

I have dawn effect in bucket loads, so quite insulin resistant in the morning. Having a constant trickle of basal insulin seems to be way more effective in dealing with that.

I'm very insulin resistant in a morning so am helping the pump helps even tho I've been told my ratios will change.

Very puzzled about how I'll feel being attached 23 hours a day tho

Roll on Sept ! & extra "HAPPY" Bday. I know you will love it 😎

Thanks hobie

Which hour shall you take if off, Laura? :D

Seriously - I totally forget mine, and then get surprised when I don't allow for it walking through a narrow gap or doing something in the garden - when it impedes my progress or falls off my waistband !

What will you do with it in bed? Mine roams free and I have to say, they are a bit hard when you roll over on em. I have got a skin on mine - it's black and so is the skin LOL - but it's instantly warmer to the skin, wherever it lands up touching you during waking hours or the middle of the night. It didn't take me too long to get 100% used to having to find it and carry it, when I leap out of bed in the middle of the night for the bathroom. Sits nicely on my knee on the loo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back