Pump coming up !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
... and I discovered how much I hated and despised filling syringes even when they are shedloads bigger and called pump reservoirs - that was a very nasty shock to me.

It made the choice of pump replacement fairly obvious though! LOL

Pumps are great for exercise because you can turn the basal down to nothing or very little to allow for the extra insulin sensitivity from the activity. For distance running I've always just clipped the pump to my shorts pocket. For short-ish gym sessions (30-45 minutes) I just disconnected entirely and left it in the locker.

You can use elasticated tubi-grip type things if you need to keep it attached but are doing lots of rapid moving.

For swimming people disconnect and then just re-connect and micro-bolus every hour or so to cover a small proportion of the missed basal.

Really depends on what you are doing and how your BGs behave. 🙂

You can also set a temporary basal rate (TBR) after exercise to avoid the risk of hypos after activity is that's something you struggle with.
When I am busy at work or relaxing I like the "Temp Basal" feature of my pump. I like to miss meals & its good for that too 🙂

When I am busy at work or relaxing I like the "Temp Basal" feature of my pump. I like to miss meals & its good for that too 🙂

I wouldn’t apply a temp basal for missing a meal Hobie. I would adjust my basal pattern so that I could miss a meal and still stay level - that way if I don’t eat or meal timings vary it shouldn’t make too much difference. Same principle applied on MDI, but pump basal pattern can be adjusted with more precision.

Of course the nuisance is having to repeatedly tweak it to keep it up to date with changes in season/body’s insulin needs

I wouldn’t apply a temp basal for missing a meal Hobie. I would adjust my basal pattern so that I could miss a meal and still stay level - that way if I don’t eat or meal timings vary it shouldn’t make too much difference. Same principle applied on MDI, but pump basal pattern can be adjusted with more precision.

Of course the nuisance is having to repeatedly tweak it to keep it up to date with changes in season/body’s insulin needs
I never know what I am doing at work. I could be doing a Re-Wire or up & down ladders all day, or sitting connecting a Fuseboard. Chasing boxes out who knows. A pump is a great toy & very adaptable to what you are doing Everyday

I never know what I am doing at work. I could be doing a Re-Wire or up & down ladders all day, or sitting connecting a Fuseboard. Chasing boxes out who knows. A pump is a great toy & very adaptable to what you are doing Everyday

Yes I use TBRs for increased activity every day. Even if it’s just a gentle walk with the dog. For more significant activity/DIY/Gardening I generally need a strong TBR (50% or less) and top-up carbs too.

LOL - I am not anywhere near active at the moment - gentle walking even without a dog and a Sherpa carrying the Handbag (I wrote that using Edith Evans' voice) is more like walking up Snowdon at the moment!

However I too am using 24 hour TBRs delivering however much extra insulin I appear to need that particular day, to try and counteract the ruddy inflammation round my knee.

I use TBRs a lot, depending on whether I’m on my feet at work rushing around or sat at the computer all,day. It’s so easy to set a temporary rate and works for me.

Hello everyone,
I am hopefully coming on a pump soon, I was given the choice of Animas Vibe, Medtronic 640G or Accucheck insight.
I have been a Type 1 since the age of 7, almost for 20 years now, so although I don't mind having a pump as I have been experiencing severe fluctuations and spikes for the past 9 months without any improvement, I am a bit perplexed.
I have a libre now and was thinking that I do not want to lose the continuous monitoring bit, so that made me exclude the Accucheck insight as as far as I am aware you need to finger prick to bolus for accurate calculations. I am currently thinking about the Medtronic 640G and buy the Elite sensors myself.
Please let me know your experiences and any advice.
I am reading different threads on the blog and ordered pumping insulin book.
Any thing else you advise me to do meanwhile ?
And what kind of accessories or hacks that you found made your life easier?
Thank you all in advance.
I have the accucheck insight which I love for the handset and the bolus adviser but I think out of the group you have to choose from I would choose the Medtronic 640g for the cgm feature with insulin suspend which would give me more confidence with hypo avoidance but if you can't get or afford the CGM it is not as useful.

Can you imagine going up Scar-Fell ? (in my 50th year of T1) Temp bolus on. Down to 2% on my Medtronic. ! had a Libre on too with perfect bg 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back