Pros and cons of looping? Your experience's please.

@MarcLister you fill the pod with insulin before you put it on. From a vile of insulin.
It’s a new pod every time
Love the viles.... but actually you also have a PDM (Personal Diabetes Manager) which is a small adapted mobile phone, which controls the pod. It's programmed to your personal needs. When you need a bolus you tell it how many carbs and your BG and it works out what to bolus. You can also do a temporary basal, either up or down if you aren't happy with your BG. Someone said ages ago that pods have more occlusions than tubed pumps but I have found the opposite. Hope I am not tempting fate, but I haven't had a single occlusion in 3 years on the pod, whereas I had a few on the tubed pump I was on.

I have been using the Dexcom G6 and the Tandem TSlim2 for over 2 years now.I had Cellnovo pump and then Omnipod previously,with Libre.I have got used to the tubing and the pump alarms when going too high or too low and tells you the rate you are dropping.I love mine now because it's less stressful managing the lows

Hi,
Type 1 since ~40 years.
Since a couple of years I am on Libre 2 and Omnipod.

First I was hesitating fo a sensor. I thought I had everything under control with my 10-12 finger pricks per day.
Ok I was thinking I'll just test the sensor which the idea I could always switch back.

I have choosen the Libre for the 14 days span and .....
The continous glucose monitoring gave me so much more inside informormation about my diabetes and its behaviour incredible. In between of the following 3 month I had learned so much more about the insulin and food behaviour/reactions inside my body, which I never got with my 10-12 finger pricks/day, which I was using the past previous 40 years. Incredible.

A couple of month later, same hesitation as for the sensor, but finally I have choosen the Omnipod, as it was remote controled and tubeless. With the pump my daily insulin was reducing by ~25-30% and it was improving my diabetes treatment and my glucose readings. It took me about 2-3 month to work out my basal profiles and insulin/carb ratios, which is variating over the day (dawn) and over the years by up 30% eraticlly for a couple of weeks or month.

Also the pump gave me so much more privacy and security with my diabetes. I could check my glucose readings and maybe adapt my bolus insulin in between a meeting and noone would even recognise it. (Instead of running to a toilette for checking my glucose and take an injection with my pen)

I never, never would step back from it.

I am still waiting to switch to HCL, which will free my brain a little bit more from my daily diabetes reflection/adaption and to give me more security for my basal over night, as the dose eraticlly variating over the year.

I hope that my small history will convince you to test it (always keeping in mind that you always can step back, if it really should not work out).

Ralf

Last edited:
Hi,
Type 1 since ~40 years.
Since a couple of years I am on Libre 2 and Omnipod.

First I was hesitating fo a sensor. I thought I had everything under control with my 10-12 finger pricks per day.
Ok I was thinking I'll just test the sensor which the idea I could always switch back.

I have choosen the Libre for the 14 days span and .....
The continous glucose monitoring gave me so much more inside informormation about my diabetes and its behaviour incredible. In between of the following 3 month I had learned so much more about the insulin and food behaviour/reactions inside my body, which I never got with my 10-12 finger pricks/day, which I was using the past previous 40 years. Incredible.

A couple of month later, same hesitation as for the sensor, but finally I have choosen the Omnipod, as it was remote controled and tubeless. With the pump my daily insulin was reducing by ~25-30% and it was improving my diabetes treatment and my glucose readings. It took me about 2-3 month to work out my basal profiles and insulin/carb ratios, which is variating over the day (dawn) and over the years by up 30% eraticlly for a couple of weeks or month.

Also the pump gave me so much more privacy and security with my diabetes. I could check my glucose readings and maybe adapt my bolus insulin in between a meeting and noone would even recognise it. (Instead of running to a toilette for checking my glucose and take an injection with my pen)

I never, never would step back from it.

I am still waiting to switch to HCL, which will free my brain a little bit more from my daily diabetes reflection/adaption and to give me more security for my basal over night, as the dose eraticlly variating over the year.

I hope that my small history will convince you to test it (always keeping in mind that you always can step back, if it really should not work out).

Ralf
You have already seen the benefits of pumping. I certainly found that the HCL with mine has released my little grey cells for a lot of the time. I still get involved at meal times, but much of what I did before goes on in the background with no input from me. There are plenty of safety checks in each of the systems which gives me confidence to trust it.

I look forward to hearing of your progress.

Back