Problem with high ketones

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wings did have a salt and pepper coating, the chips weren’t fresh and the mixed veg consisted of peas, carrots, sweetcorn and green beans and were frozen. I’m assuming that all this contributed to the increase. I need to ensure packet reading is done on shopping trips.
keeping some scales on your work top would make it easy to weigh out your portion rather than just eyeball it as it is very easy to under estimate the amount.
Then with the carb info on the packet you have an good idea of the carbs you are having. So you can record e.g.100g chips = 30g carb, 100g mixed veg = 20g carbs, chicken wings 10g carb so you would know your meal had approx 60g carb.
For some people that would not be a problem but others it will be too much.

This evening I did my pre-meal reading which was 10.2 after eating and waiting 2 hours my reading was 19.7 with the ketones warning. I checked these with the reading being about 0.15. However, the meal was a few chicken wings, mixed veg and some air fried low fat chips. I was quite surprised by the 9.5 jump between pre and after.
Around 8 chips is about 100g and thus around 33g carbs airfryed (mccains interestingly say it’s higher than oven baked of 30g ). How many did you eat?
Icelands salt and pepper wings are trace amounts only
mix veg is around 8 or 9 ish for a measuring cup’s worth. Again how much did you eat?

I’m going to guess, based on the men in my house, that meal that might have been a minimum of 40 for a tiny portion (still way more than I’d have in a sitting) but more likely 80 carbs, potentially even 100g.

I suspect the chips caused most of the glucose leap (or they certainly would have me) helped a little by the choice of veg. The fact that the chips are low fat makes no difference to their carb count/glucose amounts.

Salt and pepper wings are not a great choice because each wing has very little meat for the amount of coating on them which is essentially a type of batter, which is carbs, so I imagine you had quite a few wings to give you enough meat, so that means you had quite a few carbs coating the meat, carbs in the form of chips and a mix of higher carb veg.

If I was going to skim some of the carbs off that meal, I would keep the veggies because they are good for you and I know you only like a limited number of veg, and mostly those peas, carrots, sweetcorn type things, but choose meat which isn't coated in batter or breadcrumbs or pastry, so a couple of rotisserie chicken legs or a breast of chicken, a burger or a steak or chops (beef/lamb/pork) and perhaps half the number of chips than you had this time and test that meal next time and see how you get on and you should see much less of a rise.

@HSSS and @rebrascora I had 6 wings, there wasn’t any batter on them. I didn’t count but know it was more than 8 chips. Everyday is a trial and learning day as until I came onto the forum I wasn’t aware of “carb counting” to control my D. I’ll also have to get used to cutting down on portion size, which is something else I’ve never given thought about.

The other thing that will obviously affect my levels is that unless I’m at work I get little or no exercise. Unfortunately, I’m currently off work until the end of this week and will probably get signed off again until the new year. I find it extremely difficult to motivate myself to go and get some fresh air.

Last edited:
@HSSS and @rebrascora I had 6 wings, there wasn’t any batter on them. I didn’t count but know it was more than 8 chips. Everyday is a trial and learning day as until I came onto the forum I wasn’t aware of “carb counting” to control my D. I’ll also have to get used to cutting down on portion size, which is something else I’ve never given thought about.

The other thing that will obviously affect my levels is that unless I’m at work I get little or no exercise. Unfortunately, I’m currently off work until the end of this week and will probably get signed off again until the new year. I find it extremely difficult to motivate myself to go and get some fresh air.
Yes it is not just what you eat but how much of anything high carb.
We bought a cooked chicken for the princely sum of £4 and it did 8 meals so meat doesn't have to be expensive.

We bought a cooked chicken for the princely sum of £4 and it did 8 meals so meat doesn't have to be expensive.
I like that idea, can you do the same with other joints of meat? (I’d avoid lamb).

ou don't often see joints of meat sold precooked
Sorry, I worded my previous reply badly, I did mean to cook at home and divide up for smaller meals.

Sorry, I worded my previous reply badly, I did mean to cook at home and divide up for smaller meals.
Many find that cooking larger quantities works well so they have something in the freezer to hand.
We actually had some beef on Sunday and used what was left in a stir fry last night with lots of veg and a satay sauce make from peanut butter, soy sauce and a bit of chilli.

This is probably one of those “how long is a piece of string questions”, but if I’m treating myself as T2 what is the maximum daily carb count that I should be looking at please?

This is probably one of those “how long is a piece of string questions”, but if I’m treating myself as T2 what is the maximum daily carb count that I should be looking at please?
I think thats a question that the awser depends on person. There's no one size fits all

Exactly but for those who are managing their blood glucose by a low carb approach then the suggested amount is no more than 130g per day carbs not just sugar but many need to go lower and some can get away with more. People find that tolerance by using their monitor.
Obviously it is better to even out the carbs throughout the day rather than 1 meal with very low carb and then 2 with lots as that might push the increase in blood glucose for that meal to high.
Personally I only have about 70g carbs per day but roughly 15-20 for breakfast, same for lunch and 25g for dinner, the rest for drinks. But I don't take any meds.

A good start point is 130 gms CHO. But suggest you review that figure in about 10 days, unless it is glaringly obvious that is too much then reduce down in modest steps. Some people are very low carb, others have found 50 gms works for them. Don't make big changes quickly, they can cause temporary vision problems or some pain and /or loss of sensation at the extremities normally also temporary, as your body adjusts to the changes.

With your baseline being around 10, and rises up to 19with a modest amount of carbs (10 chips and veg) I'd go far, far lower than 130g. As 10g of carbs amounts to around a 2-3mmol/l rise, then 30g+ causing a rise of almost 10 means that you're struggling to deal with that amount of carbs - at these levels your body will remove glucose by other means (Pee!) which is damaging.

To be honest, I think the medical people need to be helping...

With your baseline being around 10, and rises up to 19with a modest amount of carbs (10 chips and veg) I'd go far, far lower than 130g. As 10g of carbs amounts to around a 2-3mmol/l rise, then 30g+ causing a rise of almost 10 means that you're struggling to deal with that amount of carbs - at these levels your body will remove glucose by other means (Pee!) which is damaging.

To be honest, I think the medical people need to be helping...
I have a 10 minute (probably not long enough) consultation with a DN this Thursday at which I have a few things to ask. I may only need my medication tweaking to 4 x 500mg of Metformin a day. However, I’m still leaning towards 3c.

Salt and pepper wings are not a great choice because each wing has very little meat for the amount of coating on them which is essentially a type of batter, which is carbs,
You and I are thinking of different things here. The ones in my mind don’t have any batter. I agree they have little meat on them though

You and I are thinking of different things here. The ones in my mind don’t have any batter. I agree they have little meat on them though
Agree on the amount of meat on the wings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back