Prescription question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mand

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all

How much do you get on prescription each time you phone the doctors for supplies? Or do you get supplies via a different way? I have to phone and order from a list, that is on their computer as a repeat prescription, for my son.

I find that i am phoning every couple of weeks for something or other and was wondering about asking them for more of each item so i can go less often.

From the doctors i get blood testing strips, lancets and the insulin for the pump. (all other bits and pieces come from pump company).

Mand 🙂

Just been to pick mine up.

400 strips
200 needles
1 pack of catridges of each levemir & novorapido
1 pot of ketostix (after hearing they only last 6months on here!)
no lancets as I have over a hundred left which will last me til 2012 at this rate!

Hi Mand.
My repeat prescription has 1 months supply of everything on it, but I can order from that at anytime. My surgery has a good system, I just go online order what I want from the form on screen, type in which local chemist I want to collect it from, and go to that chemist 48 hours later to collect what I've ordered.

John

I cant order online or over the phone ! my surgery insist that any repeat prescriptions are in person and in writing , or the tick boxes on the back of the scripts . I usually get 200 tests strips , every 2 weeks and Insulin and anything else within a day of ordering it , I usually order 1 box of each Insulin , and 1 box of needles .:D If I run out of stuff or use more strips etc I just put in a new script >> no questions asked , anymore hehe 😉

Just been to pick mine up.

400 strips
200 needles
1 pack of catridges of each levemir & novorapido
1 pot of ketostix (after hearing they only last 6months on here!)
no lancets as I have over a hundred left which will last me til 2012 at this rate!

400 strips? 200 needles?? I need your doctor!! :D

I've always got as much as i've asked for I found that the prescription that they gave me at the start wasn't nearly enough to keep me going for more than a couple of weeks at a time so now I only have to go about once a month if i'm lucky.

me too,

I saw gp yesterday as i used to get 100 strips now down to 50, told him they will last me approx 4 days can they please up as i am snding scripts in every few days. He told me was because they cost ?15 a box, i know that but need them. Ok he says and gives me s script for 50!!! 😡😡😡

me too,

I saw gp yesterday as i used to get 100 strips now down to 50, told him they will last me approx 4 days can they please up as i am snding scripts in every few days. He told me was because they cost ?15 a box, i know that but need them. Ok he says and gives me s script for 50!!! 😡😡😡

50?? does he realise you are type 1?? you have to test everyday, it would be dangerous if u didnt! what an idiot doctor, grr!

Yeah she's crazy as a cuckoo clock but well good!

I'm sure I'm gonna get shafted when we move next week😱 so may not tell GP just yet!!

I get enough to last me two months:

200 test strips
100 needle tips
100 lancets
4 x Box of 5 Lantus Cartridges
4 x Box of 5 Humalog Cartridges
2 x 50mg Thyroxine
2 x 25mg Thyroxine
1 x 50 Ketostix
1 x Glucagon (which I replace when out of date)

You should see me when I order double for going on holiday - I look like I've robbed the chemist with my carrier bag full of supplies! 😉

Does anyone else have anything interesting on their prescription? Anyone got HypoFit?

NiVZ

I get enough to last me two months:

200 test strips

You should see me when I order double for going on holiday - I look like I've robbed the chemist with my carrier bag full of supplies! 😉

Does anyone else have anything interesting on their prescription? Anyone got HypoFit?

NiVZ

For 2 MONTHS!!?? 😱😱😱

Hi insulinaddict,

Yup 200, I tend to test 3 times a day, so:

3 tests x 31 days x 2 months = 186 tests

plus 14 left for a few before bed tests.

NiVZ

Hi insulinaddict,

Yup 200, I tend to test 3 times a day, so:

3 tests x 31 days x 2 months = 186 tests

plus 14 left for a few before bed tests.

NiVZ

😱I'm a compulsive tester I think honey !! I test up to 10 times a day :D when I first went on Insulin I only tested 4 times a day unless I felt hypo . Now I test all the time , partly due to the fact I live alone and have had quite a few 1+'s and a visit the other week from the paramedics and a quick jab of Gluco :( I'm sure I'll calm down abit Lol hehe :D How long have you been Diabetic NivZ? I know you have said in a post once before lol

Hello,

Funny you should ask - they asked today at clinic and I said 11 years, consultant checked notes and it said December 1996 so thats 13 years. Oops!

Having done DAFNE, they're very much just 3 times a day, and an extra one before bed if you want to check basal/fasting levels.

However, I know a lot of people on here test before and after meals so that would instantly double the amount of test strips you'd need.

@TraceyW - 50 tests in 4 days!! Thats 12 tests a day, or about 1 an hour for every hour you're awake!! EDIT: Sorry never realised you're a pumper - that makes more sense 😉

NiVZ

Last edited:
Wow I absolutely cannot imagine 3x a day...but then you can't do that on a pump...because there is no background insulin, and if something goes wrong you get pretty poorly pretty quick, as we found out last weekend...

I think we get 300 strips and 300 lancets, 4 bottles of insulin, as and when. We tend to go once a month or so, and change lancet each time...I know, I know, a bit OTT maybe...

We come to this by requesting higher amounts from our GP.

Tracey: you *need* strips! It's part of your pump care. You could be in deep doo-doo if you don't have an adequate supply. For us, it was actually part of our prescription letter that E had to test often, and a requirement for getting on the pump that we test often...

Hello,

Funny you should ask - they asked today at clinic and I said 11 years, consultant checked notes and it said December 1996 so thats 13 years. Oops!

Having done DAFNE, they're very much just 3 times a day, and an extra one before bed if you want to check basal/fasting levels.

However, I know a lot of people on here test before and after meals so that would instantly double the amount of test strips you'd need.

@TraceyW - 50 tests in 4 days!! Thats 12 tests a day, or about 1 an hour for every hour you're awake!!

NiVZ

Hehehe well whats a couple of years lol !! My memory has gone bad since Ive been diabetic lol 🙄
Hmm Ive just noticed you do use alot more Insulin than me so I make up for it with test strips hehe >> Im such a drain on the health service lol
Ah also I probably use alot of strips as I am an Insomniac and only sleep a few hours every few days so Im awake alot more than you mere mortals lol hehe😉

I can put my prescription in over the phone, in person or online. I just order as an when I need anything. The standard amounts I get in one go is:

- 200 test strips
- 100 needles (want to try and get more at a time)
- 3 boxes of insulin (novorapid or lantus, think it's 5 or 6 cartridges per box)

Everything else, hypostop, glucagon, ketostix etc are a box at a time.

Im such a drain on the health service lol

Someone called me a drain on the nhs a few years back, don't think I've quite forgiven her yet! For some reason that one really got to me, other comments that I get from time to time don't really bother me... But of course if I or anyone else who is diabetic says it then it's fine! 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back