Prediabetic and Polycystic ovaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessGr

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hello,

I wanted to seek some advice before I have an appointment with the nurse from my GP practice. I have recently been informed that I am prediabetic which has not come as a surprise.

I have polycystic ovaries (PCOS) and have been struggling to lose weight over the last year. I have tried a range of methods but I seem to only lose half a stone and then sit on that loss for months.

I have a few questions:

For any of those with PCOS have they experienced the same thing?
What treatments or support do they give you during this appointment?
is there any general advice or information that I should look up before my appointment?
Has anyone used metformin to support weight loss?

Thank you for the help 🙂
Jess

Hello,

I wanted to seek some advice before I have an appointment with the nurse from my GP practice. I have recently been informed that I am prediabetic which has not come as a surprise.

I have polycystic ovaries (PCOS) and have been struggling to lose weight over the last year. I have tried a range of methods but I seem to only lose half a stone and then sit on that loss for months.

I have a few questions:

For any of those with PCOS have they experienced the same thing?
What treatments or support do they give you during this appointment?
is there any general advice or information that I should look up before my appointment?
Has anyone used metformin to support weight loss?

Thank you for the help 🙂
Jess
I believe metformin was originally a treatment for PCOS but was subsequently found to be successful in reducing blood glucose in conjunction with dietary changes and exercise for Type 2 diabetes.

I believe metformin was originally a treatment for PCOS but was subsequently found to be successful in reducing blood glucose in conjunction with dietary changes and exercise for Type 2 diabetes.
Great, thank you!

Do you think it would be worth mentioning with the nurse when I have my appointment?

I thought it was first a weight loss drug, but for me personally I don't find it helps with weight loss,

It does not directly work on blood sugars, it helps the muscles use sugars more effectively. The impacts on sugars are not dramatic,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back