Posting from Blackburn Hospital….

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
You may have noticed no comments from me lately.

After my wife had been in hospital it was thought she would be safer in a care home. Well, that happened, leaving me alone. You may know that my mobility is limited to using two crutches, or just one If there is plenty of furniture for support.

However, my Diabetes control has gone haywire, partly because I was eating properly, but also I’ve lately been confused. So I ended up here in Blackburn Hospital where I am posting from ward D1, currently on a BG level of a steady 22. (!) but coming down.

That confusion I mentioned is disappearing- I was found to have low potassium for some reason, but I’m feeling normal now after a few fizzy potassium drinks, a brain scan showed only minimal changes consistent with 71 years, and I got every single question right when I was grilled for dementia.

The question is can I stay at home in the flat. I will be getting carers in every day (at level 2) to help me keep the flat tidy, fill the dishwasher and washing machine as well, change the bed once a week and occasionally help me get dressed. They reckon I hour a day from 11.00 will be sufficient. It may change depending on whether my leg muscles get stronger when the potassium level is normal.

I will keep I touch intermittently. Or not- if I get snowed in:rofl:

After my wife had been in hospital it was thought she would be safer in a care home. Well, that happened, leaving me alone. You may know that my mobility is limited to using two crutches, or just one If there is plenty of furniture for support.

However, my Diabetes control has gone haywire, partly because I was eating properly, but also I’ve lately been confused. So I ended up here in Blackburn Hospital where I am posting from ward D1, currently on a BG level of a steady 22. (!) but coming down.

That confusion I mentioned is disappearing- I was found to have low potassium for some reason, but I’m feeling normal now after a few fizzy potassium drinks, a brain scan showed only minimal changes consistent with 71 years, and I got every single question right when I was grilled for dementia.

The question is can I stay at home in the flat. I will be getting carers in every day (at level 2) to help me keep the flat tidy, fill the dishwasher and washing machine as well, change the bed once a week and occasionally help me get dressed. They reckon I hour a day from 11.00 will be sufficient. It may change depending on whether my leg muscles get stronger when the potassium level is normal.

Sorry to hear that, Mike. I hope the low potassium was responsible for a fair few of the problems, and that they sort themselves out.

Take care and hope you get home soon

So sorry to hear this Mikey. Hope things improve for you soon.
Interestingly @Pattidevans had a similar experience recently when she ended up as an emergency admission to hospital with low sodium in her case I believe, which was initially thought to be a stroke.

Really hope you are able to continue to live independently if that is what you wish and that the care home admission for your wife has not caused her or you too much distress.

I'd think you would be able to live at home with some care coming in each day. You might need more than just one visit per day for an hour, maybe an AM and a PM visit and perhaps the PM only needs to be half an hour at 6pmish? I used to work for NHS in a community service and many folk were supported to live at home in this way. Hope you feeling a lot better now and get home soon.

Sorry to hear your updating news. I do hope this resolves itself steadily; change is inevitable, managing it can be variable! Glad the dementia questioning went well, I would find that in particular very stressful if I came to realise my confusion was not from something like very elevated BGs.

A friend of my sister had a fall and had to be carted off to hospital. One of the paramedics asked her how long she’d been married, and she assumed it was some sort of dementia test. 55 years, she replied, and wondered why the paramedics fell about laughing. Apparently it was because her husband said he didn’t know where she kept her socks and undies!

Good to hear from you @mikeyB but sorry to hear what's been happening
Hoping that you continue to improve and are soon home.

aww Mikey, wishing you a speedy recovery and you being back to your normal self asap.

Sorry to hear this news Mike. Both yours and Mrs B’s. Sending good wishes. X

Take care and keep warm in the hospital,it's cold here down the road at Wilpshire .I hope that the care works for you
Carol

Thanks for the update @mikeyB

Sorry to hear what a rough time you’ve been having :(

All the very best for a speedy recovery. We miss you around these parts! Look after yourself, and know we are thinking of you.

Hope the potassium fixes things.

Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery.

Hope you get well soon! (I've spent many an hour in Blackburn hospital, although not as a patient, visiting!)

Sorry to hear of your difficulties Mike.
Sending best wishes to you both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back