Post eating peaks- inevitable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tdm

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
After some experimenting, I prebolus for meals, and go for a walk after to keep the post eating peak down. I normally keep the peak down below 8.
Very occassionally, I do not have a peak. This doesn't appear to be reproducable, even with the same meal, prebolus time etc.
It happened today, and i realised i forgot to eat the apple i had bolused for (I did go a bit low afterwards and pretty much made up for the missed carbs with snacks to keep my bs up)
I'm wondering if this is reproducible. Or is that asking too much? Do any T1s out there reliably eat without a post prandial peak?
I had 51carbs - lettuce, bread, potato salad, spanish tortilla...and a chocolate, and 4 units novorapid. I had a longer prebolus than usual but not sure how long as i may have changed the time when i edited the carb amount

All part of the dark art that is diabetic management I think.

After some weeks of positively himalayan graphs on my Libre and a worrying rise in my HbA1 to 60 I've been much more dedicated in trying to work out just what is going on by conscientiously noting carbs, insulin and timings.

(I know I should do a basal test but that is quite a tricky thing to fit in at the moment...but I will get round to it eventually)

I've noticed that I can delay up to 30 minutes and sometimes more for breakfast but lunch and dinner pretty much need to eat straight away and, curiously, my dinner carb ratio appears to be 1 to 5 whereas the other meals are 1 to 10. This all depends on pre-meal levels and what is in the meal I'm eating of course. Pizza, pasta and burgers seems blood sugar seems to climb for hours afterwards. I've gone from TIR of 30-40% to 80% plus which I'm pleased about but early days.

Trying to keep to a peak of 8 seems a little tight to me...or is it just me that thinks that?

@Tdm take care not to try to achieve blood glucose levels better than someone without diabetes,
Everyone (including those producing their own incredibly fast insulin) will have a spike after eating. If you Google something like “Libre charts for peopele without diabetes”, you will find graphs rising to about 10mmol/l.
A rise to 8mmol/l is nothing to worry about.

I agree with @Peely66 that trying to keep to a peak of 8 is a bit tight.

@Tdm I’ve tested post-prandial blood sugar in a number of my friends over the years. A rise to 8 isn’t uncommon and, in fact, seems quite usual.This is among a variety of ages, weights, etc, and all non-diabetic. Burnout is a horrible thing. Don’t put unnecessary pressure on yourself.

I think must just be having one of those 'unicorn' days where things just work with little input...which made me wonder if there is a way to make everyday like this.
Maybe my pancreas is briefly rallying?

I'm wondering if this is reproducible. Or is that asking too much? Do any T1s out there reliably eat without a post prandial peak?

No.

Well some perhaps do - but as others have said, it seems entirely unnatural, and not a particularly healthy thing to aim for. Non-Ds don’t have a flat line, so why should it be necessary or wise to try to create circumstances by which we can achieve one?

I’m reminded of the list of 42 factors that can influence blood glucose - only some of which are food-dose related, and only some of which we can exert control over.

1684052801147.png
@Tdm - the graph above is from my own data as a non insulin dependent T2. It shows how my my average blood glucose through the day for the last 100 days of last year. If you know that I am a bit boring and eat meals at 6:30, 11:00, 16:00 and a light supper at around 18:00, you can see the sort of post meal "peaks" I get.

You have to take care in interpreting the data because they are from one person and pseudo-randomly collected by finger pricking but it might help to give you a perspective on things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back