Porridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

angeladalton

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Has anyone found that porridge raises there glucose levels? I have. My BS is more stable when I eat crumpets than it is when I have porridge. I make my porridge with oats sweetener and water. Thanks for any advice and replies x

Porridge is like rocket fuel for some of us, even made with jumbo oats and water and then double cream added. Other people seem to get away with it. It is one of those contentious foods for us diabetics. Similar with lentils. Some people find them slow release and others like myself find their bodies extract more carbs than they are actually supposed to contain.
It is why we advocate people testing to find what does and doesn't work for their body.

I have to be honest, I haven't tried crumpets, since diagnosis and I am not sure it would be a good idea because I would not be able to stop at one and of course I would have to have lashings of butter on them, which I have no problem with, but the combination of fat and carbs would pile weight on me. I will stick with eating fat but keeping the carbs low..... not that I am advocating eating butter neat by any means! 🙄

Porridge is like rocket fuel for some of us, even made with jumbo oats and water and then double cream added. Other people seem to get away with it. It is one of those contentious foods for us diabetics. Similar with lentils. Some people find them slow release and others like myself find their bodies extract more carbs than they are actually supposed to contain.
It is why we advocate people testing to find what does and doesn't work for their body.

I have to be honest, I haven't tried crumpets, since diagnosis and I am not sure it would be a good idea because I would not be able to stop at one and of course I would have to have lashings of butter on them, which I have no problem with, but the combination of fat and carbs would pile weight on me. I will stick with eating fat but keeping the carbs low..... not that I am advocating eating butter neat by any means! 🙄
I'm always surprised that something with so many holes has so many carbs. Of course it has to be lashings of butter and marmite./

I guess porridge is my rocket fuel. Will have to try something else. Thanks for your reply x

Has anyone found that porridge raises there glucose levels? I have. My BS is more stable when I eat crumpets than it is when I have porridge. I make my porridge with oats sweetener and water. Thanks for any advice

I eat porridge daily and so far so good re BS. However I have only recently realised it might be because rather than having a bowlful I have a sachet that is 16 carbs. Not sure what might happen if I had 2 sachets. Best to leave well alone. Just to add when I was first diagnosed the GP told me to ditch the porridge. I chose to ignore her and work it out myself. I still self test just in case something changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what happened to the previous reply. Apologies. I have porridge daily with little problem. However, I only recently realised that i don't eat a bowlful but a sachet of the stuff around 16 carbs. Not sure what would happen if i ate two sachets. For what it's worth the GP told me to avoid porridge, I chose to ignore her and work out my own system I still test my bs just in case and to make sure nothing is going wrong.

Not sure what happened to the previous reply. Apologies. I have porridge daily with little problem. However, I only recently realised that i don't eat a bowlful but a sachet of the stuff around 16 carbs. Not sure what would happen if i ate two sachets. For what it's worth the GP told me to avoid porridge, I chose to ignore her and work out my own system I still test my bs just in case and to make sure nothing is going wrong.
Guess we are all different. Why did your GP tell you to avoid porridge?

Has anyone found that porridge raises there glucose levels? I have. My BS is more stable when I eat crumpets than it is when I have porridge. I make my porridge with oats sweetener and water. Thanks for any advice and replies x
Try it with milk instead of water? With crumpets you have fat in the butter to slow it down. If you’re making your porridge with water it’s just carbs no fat.

I wouldn’t eat 2 sachets, as that would be twice the recommended portion size

I guess porridge is my rocket fuel. Will have to try something else. Thanks for your reply x

I’m another who gets a fairly enthusiastic BG response from porridge. I can manage it, but only if I treat it like I would something like iced chocolate cake 😳

As you say, it‘s funny how different we are. Some on the forum can rely on it to release slowly through the morning with only a modest BG wobble 🙂

Thanks, I will give it a go x
Try cream instead of milk. Less carbs and more fat. Unfortunately it doesn't make a difference for me but if you like porridge, it is worth giving it a try. I made it with water still but then add the cream afterwards. Using milk is adding a few extra carbs but a negligible amount of fat whereas cream will add plenty of fat with just a tiny bit of extra carbs. The cream also makes it taste more luxurious.

Oh yes porridge can send me up really quickly. I do however still eat it. A little ago I had got myself into habit of stirimg peanut butter into it I know that seems odd taste wise but it actually wasn't bad. I was only using finger pricks at time so only so I only had a rough idea but it did seem make a bit of difference when I would check two Afters(I liked to do this just so I could form a rough idea about timings and things)

Guess we are all different. Why did your GP tell you to avoid porridge?
Well at the time she told me was also at the time she told me i was diabetic. In-between processing that news, being told when to take metformin, given a prescription and a wave goodbye I didn't have any time to ask why not porridge. There was so much happening! Haven't seen her since. I have to add when I later told the Practice Nurse about the porridge thing she wasn't that impressed. Most of my info managing diabetes has been from this forum.

Last edited:
I am another one who was amazed at how spikey my body found porridge to be. I avoid it now and switched to a home made cereal using Quinoa Flakes instead of oats. That with some yogurt and berries is a great alternative for me. In the winter I sometimes succumb to a small bowl of porridge and then the sensor shows me why it is not such a good idea for me. We are all different and have to find what works for each of us.

Oh yes porridge can send me up really quickly. I do however still eat it. A little ago I had got myself into habit of stirimg peanut butter into it I know that seems odd taste wise but it actually wasn't bad. I was only using finger pricks at time so only so I only had a rough idea but it did seem make a bit of difference when I would check two Afters(I liked to do this just so I could form a rough idea about timings and things)

Member on here mentioned it few years back that she added peanut butter to her morning porridge, tried it myself & it was actually really nice addition to it.

If you can tolerate oats it's a healthy start to each day, just have my jumbo oats with greek yogurt & berries, usually blueberries.

I gave up sugary cereals like cheerios, crunchy nut corn flakes about a year back. I have porridge at least once a day and sometimes twice (if I get too hungry at night - again instead of sugary cereals or crisps, etc) and it’s worked well for me.

I gave up sugary cereals like cheerios, crunchy nut corn flakes about a year back. I have porridge at least once a day and sometimes twice (if I get too hungry at night - again instead of sugary cereals or crisps, etc) and it’s worked well for me.
Have you testing the effect of your porridge on your blood glucose if not how do you know it has worked for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back