Pondering DP and FOTF strategies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pardon my ignorance pls, do hyper readings not reflect high BG levels? Eating while there is already excess glucose - does not make sense to me.

Or have I got it all completely wrong?

Foot on the Floor doesn’t happen until after you’ve got up, so I think @nonethewiser finds that his pump keeps things within range (mostly) for waking levels - and then finds that eating fairly promptly helps reduce the liver dump?

Pardon my ignorance pls, do hyper readings not reflect high BG levels? Eating while there is already excess glucose - does not make sense to me.

If I understand you correctly then I think you are making a valid point. If your levels are high when you wake up, then eating something straight away is just going to push them higher, particularly if you are like some of us who need long prebolus time in the morning. And for me once my levels are high I need larger amounts of insulin to bring them down and it takes longer for them to come back down so whilst it might work well if my levels were in the 4s or 5s at waking and I was only having a single slice of toast for breakfast, it would be less likely to be successful if my waking reading was 7 or 8.

So many diverse opinions and methods; I feel like a little lost soul.

I think it’s quite reassuring really. When you read other accounts, and think - well that wouldn’t work for me!

But on a thread like this there are lots and lots of approaches, and one might.

But each of us has to find our own way.

Diabetes seems to be like that!

Hyper does mean high bg levels, find with pump don't wake up high as much as did on pens but when do just add in correction with breakfast bolus, after that just wait wee bit longer before eating to allow insulin to do its thing.

My FOF isn't instant as soon as getting out of bed but is noticeable about hour after if food is missed.

The novorpaid and DP did not cooperate at all. I could be level before bed and overnight, once I was up levels would double and I could wait up to 2 hours before being even near 12 or less to eat.

Now on Fiasp and Tresiba I don't seem to get it but I do have a slightly higher carb ratio in the morning, seems to be 0.5 - 1 units extra insulin depending on what I am eating.

Well, honestly, I don't believe 'to stop DP or FOTF' anyone truthfully has any necessity to eat any carbohydrate. The main activity is to break your fast which you can easily do with a lump of eg cheese or cooked meat you bought or kept for sandwiches 'later'. You absolutely do not need to eat a whole - or recognisable - meal.

Well, honestly, I don't believe 'to stop DP or FOTF' anyone truthfully has any necessity to eat any carbohydrate. The main activity is to break your fast which you can easily do with a lump of eg cheese or cooked meat you bought or kept for sandwiches 'later'. You absolutely do not need to eat a whole - or recognisable - meal.

You can eat whatever food you want to gauge affect it has, personally find carb breakfast works best not just for FOF but also for bolusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back